• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who got figured out

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Right then. List all the players who were successfull at the start of their careers but eventually they got found out. Can only think of Sehwag ATM though or perhaps Pathan with the bowl.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Strauss? Or is it too early as of now? Bowlers have bowled straighter to him generally, starving him of his favourite cuts and forcing him to play down the ground more, which isn't the strongest part of his game. I remember in the 2005 Ashes being genuinely stunned when Ponting put someone on the straight drive for him because I couldn't recall ever seeing him play the shot!

Unfortunately when he does get a bit of width, like a dieting lardo espying cake, he grabs hungrily at it bringing the slips into play.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps from the evidence in the last ODI Mohammad Asif could be slipping into this category

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perhaps from the evidence in the last ODI Mohammad Asif could be slipping into this category
I doubt it TBH. He's never been absolute top-shelf in ODIs anyway, and has suffered from bowling at the wrong time of the innings often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss? Or is it too early as of now? Bowlers have bowled straighter to him generally, starving him of his favourite cuts and forcing him to play down the ground more, which isn't the strongest part of his game. I remember in the 2005 Ashes being genuinely stunned when Ponting put someone on the straight drive for him because I couldn't recall ever seeing him play the shot!

Unfortunately when he does get a bit of width, like a dieting lardo espying cake, he grabs hungrily at it bringing the slips into play.
It's actually been more common for him to be caught in the covers than in the slips, at least of late.

If Strauss has been figured-out (and I have to say I think it's more likely to have been a deterioration in his play than anything - if people bowled in the areas that weren't his he'd leave and leave and leave all-and-sundry earlier in his Test career) it's been by bowlers pitching the ball up rather than bowling straighter, for mine.

But the fact that he couldn't even score against West Indies last summer suggests to me that it's far, far more of a case of his play going downhill than being worked-out. That attack wasn't good enough to bowl to plans like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right then. List all the players who were successfull at the start of their careers but eventually they got found out. Can only think of Sehwag ATM though or perhaps Pathan with the bowl.
If Sehwag's been figured-out it's been by people realising "we need to catch catches" (which isn't exactly something that anyone needs time to realise), so I doubt it TBH. More a the-way-the-cookie-crumbles case than anything else.

Pathan was never really that good ITFP, and only ever had the odd moment in Tests, one of which wasn't that long ago with his opening-over hattrick in Pakistan. In ODIs, it was always more a case of playing lots of substandard sides.

BTW - thank something worth thanking that C_C isn't here else we'd be hearing ad nauseum about how Botham was worked-out. 8-)

pasag

RTDAS
Did Iverson get figured out or was the theory that he would have been figured out had he played much longer? Can't remember tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Did Iverson get figured out or was the theory that he would have been figured out had he played much longer? Can't remember tbh.
From what I remember some batter had a theory that Iverson wouldn't be able to adjust his line (think I heard him referred to as a "spinning savant" but that might have been Haigh's line from his book) & in a Sheffield Shield game mullered him all over by getting down the pitch to him. Think Jack gave it away soon after that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
From what I remember some batter had a theory that Iverson wouldn't be able to adjust his line (think I heard him referred to as a "spinning savant" but that might have been Haigh's line from his book) & in a Sheffield Shield game mullered him all over by getting down the pitch to him. Think Jack gave it away soon after that.
Found this whilst having an idle Google. transcript of an interview Haigh did on Iverson. Linky.

Haigh: "towards the end of his career, he was manhandled by Keith Miller and Arthur Morris in particular, when they were playing for New South Wales against Victoria. They learnt to read him, not actually from the hand, but in the air, they learned that the loop of his deliveries was slightly different, depending on which one had actually been bowled, and they were able to give him quite a bit of punishment. Now Jack found this very, very difficult to take, in a way I think that a conventional bowler wouldn't have found punishment necessarily difficult to take, because this was Jack's own invention, he wasn't bowling crappy second-rate offspin, like I do at the weekend, and have to take my fair share of punishment. Jack was actually bowling something that was probably the nearest that he came in his life to self-actualisation, and that was actually very difficult for him to confront when people seemed to get on top of it. Even Donald Bradman had periods where failure came and came with remarkable ease to him. There were brief dry spots in Bradman's career, and yet his self belief was so messianic that he knew that on the majority of occasions he would come out well ahead. Jack Iverson didn't have that faith, he didn't have that same degree of self belief that I think is implicit in real sporting champions."

stumpski

International Captain
Peter Toohey - not 'the new Doug Walters', as it turned out. :dry:

Haroon Rashid, Robert Anderson two more from the same period who started well but proved hapless against the moving ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jimmy Adams,he was averaging 60+ after considerable number of tests but then his betting became mediocore & mediocore...........
He got a severe blow to the head in England and changed dramatically as a batsman. The only real figuring out there was how to hit him in the head. :mellow:

EDIT: I should bother to read Neil's posts...

Last edited: