• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket?

deira

Banned
why is it so hard to defeat teams on their home grounds? It is very rare when teams win series when they are playing in different countries. Only the likes of Australia and perhaps South Africa can beat teams on thier home grounds. But for other teams its very rare. Should ICC do some thing about this? how can they make test cricket more competitive when playing in different nations and grounds?

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
The main reason I believe is the home captain/board getting pitches tailored/doctored to their own teams strengths.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I enjoy players having to adapt to different conditions when travelling. It is one of the great things about touring. If anything, I'd like to find a way to minimize the effect of the toss (maybe make it so that the visiting captain always chooses whether to bat or bowl, as it was a long time ago). But I love the pitches you get in various countries - it's fantastic. It also makes players use their full range of skills - and allows us the joy of watching people exhibit various skills. Many exciting aspects of cricket would be dead or dying if the pitches were standardized.

Last edited:

deira

Banned
but the problem is it is impossible to defeat australia in australia or south africa in south africa etc.... i would like if it was more competitive rather then knowing the result of the game even before starting the match.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
but the problem is it is impossible to defeat australia in australia or south africa in south africa etc.... i would like if it was more competitive rather then knowing the result of the game even before starting the match.
Is it really Impossible?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
One of the the great aspects of the game is to adopt in different conditions. Countries offer different challenges in terms of the pitches, atmosphere, media, crowds. It is always very interesting to see how each player and team copes with the challenges cricket offers. The pleasure is doubly sweet when you can over come various tests cricket keeps throwing at you.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the whole point - if a team manages to do so you know it's been quite an achievement.

In any case, in the last 6 years or so pitches have been far more standardised in both countries than I'd like to see.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The main reason I believe is the home captain/board getting pitches tailored/doctored to their own teams strengths.
Getting pitches tailored and having them doctored are two totally different things. One is quite right; the other is forbidden and rightly so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If anything, I'd like to find a way to minimize the effect of the toss (maybe make it so that the visiting captain always chooses whether to bat or bowl, as it was a long time ago).
I don't want the effect minimised and I certainly don't want advantage given to the touring side.

I would like it if it was less luck-orientated though - ie, have some bowling at stumps to decide who gets to choose. Something at least in some way related to the skills of cricket.

pup11

International Coach
I won't like any tampering with the way test cricket is played, and lets be honest the home advantage in test cricket is now a thing of the past more or less pitches everywhere in the world are flat and slow in nature which is diabolic, coming and playing in different conditions is a challenge that a touring side needs to overcome and good teams are the one's which adapt in different situations and overcome every obstacle in their way.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't want the effect minimised and I certainly don't want advantage given to the touring side.

I would like it if it was less luck-orientated though - ie, have some bowling at stumps to decide who gets to choose. Something at least in some way related to the skills of cricket.
Oh God. If I see a bowl out in Tests, I am going to put a bat through my TV.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Home series defeats aren't common nor are they meant to be - it's called home advantage for a reason. That being said, however, Australia are really the only country who haven't been beaten in a series at home in a long, long time - and that has less to do with how favourably Australia prepares its pitches and more with the quality of the Australian cricket team over the past decade and a half.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well then you have a number of options:

a) wait for the other teams to get good enough to do it
b) hire George Davis' mates for a round-the-world reseeding
c) force home teams to play blindfold

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Home series defeats aren't common nor are they meant to be - it's called home advantage for a reason. That being said, however, Australia are really the only country who haven't been beaten in a series at home in a long, long time - and that has less to do with how favourably Australia prepares its pitches and more with the quality of the Australian cricket team over the past decade and a half.
The fact is, though, most conditions are Australia-friendly. This, obviously, is because their side has mostly had all bases covered the last 18 years.

ITSTL too that no-one beat West Indies in West Indies between Australia in 1973 and 1994, and that no-one went to Bridgetown or Kingston and won for about 50 years or something.