• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kings of their castle

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Who is the Godfather of cricket in the Countries of the major Test playing nations?
Based on any or all of the following; performance, reputation, legend, legacy and a willingness to share the Blue Smarties with team mates...........or any other criteria that disqualifies Ian Chappell.

England - WG Grace
Australia - Don Bradman
West Indies - Garry Sobers
New Zealand - Walter Hadlee
South Africa - Graeme Pollock
Pakistan - Hanif Mohammad
India - Sunil Gavaskar
Sri Lanka - Aravinda de Silva

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think you've hit the nail on somewhere not unadjacent to the head with most of them, but for the Sri Lankans I think you have to go with Ranatunga as their "Daddy". Much as I don't like the bloke he was absolutely the right captain at the right time. His support of his, er, controversial trump card was always unflinching too.

archie mac

International Coach
Who is the Godfather of cricket in the Countries of the major Test playing nations?
Based on any or all of the following; performance, reputation, legend, legacy and a willingness to share the Blue Smarties with team mates...........or any other criteria that disqualifies Ian Chappell.

England - WG Grace
Australia - Don Bradman
India - Sunil Gavaskar
I think you have Aust, Eng, NZ and Pakistan right, but the rest you could make an argument for different players:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh yeah - West Indies has to be George Headley or Frank Worrell IMO. EDIT: well done Pratyush.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How it could be anyone besides Imran for Pakistan is strange to me. :huh:
Because for almost 4 decades Hanif Mohammad was Pakistan Cricket. It took two people(Imran & Javed) and a world cup win in 1992 to get out of that identity. I am not saying that Imran can not be considered as the godfather but to many Hanif Mohammad is the natural choice.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I think you have Aust, Eng, NZ and Pakistan right, but the rest you could make an argument for different players:)
Yes, for India I would consider Lala Amarnath, Sir Frank Worrell for WI. SriLanka probably Arjuna Ranatunga or Duleep Mendis

shortpitched713

International Captain
Because for almost 4 decades Hanif Mohammad was Pakistan Cricket. It took two people(Imran & Javed) and a world cup win in 1992 to get out of that identity. I am not saying that Imran can not be considered as the godfather but to many Hanif Mohammad is the natural choice.
'Mkay.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah Frank Worrell is a certainty for WI in my book followed by Headley, Sobers and maybe even Constantine. Would have thought Kapil Dev for India, tbh.

Beleg

International Regular
I would postulate that the grandfather of Pakistan cricket was neither Hanif nor Imran but Abdul Hafeez Kardar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And for India now I think about it it simply has to be Vijay Merchant. Only "Lala" Armanath could come close.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So in other words...

England - WG Grace
Australia - Don Bradman
India - Sunil Gavaskar
England - WG Grace
Australia - Don Bradman
West Indies - George Headley or Frank Worrell
South Africa - Dave Nourse
India - Vijay Merchant
Sri Lanka - Arjuna Ranatunga
Zimbabwe - Duncan Fletcher or David Houghton

Though TBH with Australia I really think you could make a case for Demon Spofforth or Warrick Armstrong.

Last edited: