• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo Forum?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I seem to remember a few members touching on there once being a cricinfo forum. Is this true? If it is, can somebody please elabourate as to how good it was and why it shut down.

If there wasn't ever a forum, just tell me because I am interested to know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There were many CricInfo forums - the index is still there, though it seems none exist any more.

The first was the England in India (notice the "Talking Point" on the left-hand mini-sitemap), then there was another in the England in New Zealand.

At the same time there were forums for various countries, the biggest being England and Sri Lanka. There was also a BarmyArmy forum hosted on CricInfo. There were several forums for English counties and Aussie states.

As to why they decided to shut it down - they were decreasing vastly in popularity since the forums-index link was removed from the main page and sitemap. This wasn't done all at once; even 2 years ago the Sri Lanka and BarmyArmy forums remained.

Why did they remove the links? Who knows, one of life's great mysteries. The only explanation can be that sometimes people make bad business decisions.

How good was it? It was certainly very interesting, and I often stayed up late into the night posting. The structure was totally different to vBulletin, however - threads were fixed in order of start-date; the display was completely different; posts were checked by mods before being uploaded rather than deleted\edited afterwards. When I first started on CW (which started at the same time as the CricInfo forums but had tiny amounts of traffic in the first year and a bit) it took a fair while to get the hang of.

Nonetheless, the forums here at CW.n are far better, with all countries and series (with occasional exceptions) integrated into one, encouraging those of all nationalities to integrate. I rarely posted on non-English subjects in those days - since CW I have done, enormously so.

These days, CricInfo have blogs and the ability to comment on pieces from their own writers, but this is not anywhere near the same.

Several of the old CricInfo forum posters now on CW are: myself, Craig, David Hoitink (iamdavid), Arjun, SpaceMonkey, and Mr Casson. I've long had reason to suspect there were one or two others in addition who've never yet come out of the closet.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nonetheless, the forums here at CW.n are far better, with all countries and series (with occasional exceptions) integrated into one, encouraging those of all nationalities to integrate. I rarely posted on non-English subjects in those days - since CW I have done, enormously so.
Freaking tell us about it.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Good times posting on the England forums :laugh:

That post delay was a complete nightmare though. The amount of times i really wanted to reply to something but by the time my post got put on the moment had past! :@

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There were many CricInfo forums - the index is still there, though it seems none exist any more.

The first was the England in India (notice the "Talking Point" on the left-hand mini-sitemap), then there was another in the England in New Zealand.

At the same time there were forums for various countries, the biggest being England and Sri Lanka. There was also a BarmyArmy forum hosted on CricInfo. There were several forums for English counties and Aussie states.

As to why they decided to shut it down - they were decreasing vastly in popularity since the forums-index link was removed from the main page and sitemap. This wasn't done all at once; even 2 years ago the Sri Lanka and BarmyArmy forums remained.

Why did they remove the links? Who knows, one of life's great mysteries. The only explanation can be that sometimes people make bad business decisions.

How good was it? It was certainly very interesting, and I often stayed up late into the night posting. The structure was totally different to vBulletin, however - threads were fixed in order of start-date; the display was completely different; posts were checked by mods before being uploaded rather than deleted\edited afterwards. When I first started on CW (which started at the same time as the CricInfo forums but had tiny amounts of traffic in the first year and a bit) it took a fair while to get the hang of.

These days, CricInfo have blogs and the ability to comment on pieces from their own writers, but this is not anywhere near the same.

Several of the old CricInfo forum posters now on CW are: myself, Craig, David Hoitink (iamdavid), SpaceMonkey, and Mr Casson. I've long had reason to suspect there were one or two others in addition who've never yet come out of the closet.
Thank you.

Craig

World Traveller

Several of the old CricInfo forum posters now on CW are: myself, Craig, David Hoitink (iamdavid), SpaceMonkey, and Mr Casson. I've long had reason to suspect there were one or two others in addition who've never yet come out of the closet.
Dire, you also forgot Arjun.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man

WOW!!! nice info !!!!