• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Keith Miller

Who do u think was a better allrounder,Imran Khan or Keith Miller?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
gee should we listen to a guy's opinion who has IMRAN KHAN AS HIS GOD DAM AVATAR?!

gee absolutely NO BIAS there whatsoever.

Miller was a better all rounder for sure.

Better batsman + better bowler
No way Miller was the better bowler. Better batsman, yes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Abit OT but I was also thinking of the definition of these two below and the difference between them and I don't think I've seen it discussed here before so I was wondering what people thought.

Player (ie who is the better player): Includes batting, bowling, fielding, captaincy, wicket-keeping
All-Rounder (ie who is the better all-rounder): Includes just batting and bowling

Thoughts?
In addition, of course, you've got
Cricketer (ie who contributed most to the game of cricket) in all of the composites of player, plus anything done in retirement and also the impact on the public.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I actually think Sidebottom should probably remove the locks in the interests of his bowling TBH.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I rate the AR's in the following order:

(1) Sobers
(2) Imran
(3) Miller
(4) Botham
(5) Dev

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am only kidding TBH. Certainly, Kapil > both of them as batsmen by a fair bit.

Botham, I really find it so difficult to rate. Because for part of his career he was sensational beyond sensation, and for another part he was little more than extremely poor (though many refused to recognise this due to what he once had been). It's almost like the two parts of his career have to have different ratings to me - few have been two so totally different players over the course of a career.

R_D

International Debutant
Doesn't think much of him because Sobers usually steals the glory from his beloved Imran. As most cricket pundits rate Sobers as best all-rounder.

I've read a bit about Keith Miller certainly agree that he probaly could've had much better record if he had put his mind to it but obvious ally after being to war and all. He just took it as game. Who knows maybe the fact that he didn't take it that seriously is what made him this successful in the first place.
I rate Keith Miller > Imran Khan.

Doesn't think much of him because Sobers usually steals the glory from his beloved Imran. As most cricket pundits rate Sobers as best all-rounder.
No,Its not because of that reason at all.I consider only those players as true allrounders who average 30+ with the bat & 30- with the ball.Others are either batting or bowling allrounders & have to be placed below true allrounders.Thats the actual reason why Sobers doesn't find a place in my top 5,not for the one you mentioned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've read a bit about Keith Miller certainly agree that he probaly could've had much better record if he had put his mind to it but obvious ally after being to war and all. He just took it as game. Who knows maybe the fact that he didn't take it that seriously is what made him this successful in the first place.
I rate Keith Miller > Imran Khan.
Exactly. It could go either way. Maybe he'd have been better if he'd taken it even more seriously (I hardly think it's likely he went out thinking "doesn't really matter if I score or not here" very often, and I certainly highly doubt he deliberately bowled long-hops, probably ever) but maybe he'd have been worse. The "pressure is having a whateveritwas up your arse" attitude is a wonderful one and can help hugely in playing cricket.

The only way to judge Miller is on what he was, not on what he possibly could have been had he been this different or that different.

Nonetheless, I still think what Miller was is better, if only by a fairly small margin, than Imran.

And as I've said: Miller > Imran as a batsman (by a bit) and Imran > Miller as a bowler (by a little bit).

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I rate the AR's in the following order:

(1) Sobers
(2) Imran
(3) Miller
(4) Botham
(5) Dev
*Cough*RichieBenaud*Cough*AlanDavidson*Cough*
Pretty much agree with Fusion's five there - Davo was a magnificent bowler but not a good enough batsman IMO to be a genuine all rounder, though he certainly had the ability to score runs when they were needed. I've always considered Richie more of an all-rounder due to his superior batting ability (despite the fact that his Test average is fractionally lower than Davo's) - even Richie though was very much a bowler first.

In fact, next in line after those five for me would be Aubrey Faulkner.