• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Only England?

archie mac

International Coach
This is from a book by Charles Box titled: Cricket Its Theory and Practice, From its Origin To The Present Time (1868)

“The game is essentially English, and though our countrymen carry it abroad wherever they go, it is difficult to inoculate or knock it into the foreigner. The Italians are too fat for cricket; the French too thin; the Dutch too dumpy; the Belgians too bilious; the Flemish too flatulent; the East Indians too peppery; the Laplanders too bowlegged; the Swiss too sentimental; the Greeks too lazy; the Egyptians too long in the neck; and the Germans too short in the wind.”

Craig

World Traveller
This is from a book by Charles Box titled: Cricket Its Theory and Practice, From its Origin To The Present Time (1868)

“The game is essentially English, and though our countrymen carry it abroad wherever they go, it is difficult to inoculate or knock it into the foreigner. The Italians are too fat for cricket; the French too thin; the Dutch too dumpy; the Belgians too bilious; the Flemish too flatulent; the East Indians too peppery; the Laplanders too bowlegged; the Swiss too sentimental; the Greeks too lazy; the Egyptians too long in the neck; and the Germans too short in the wind.”
I deadset have visions in my head I would walk into the archie mac household and then there is sercret hidden button where you push it and the fireplace opens up and you walk though a hallway and this massive cricket book library inside.

archie mac

International Coach
I deadset have visions in my head I would walk into the archie mac household and then there is sercret hidden button where you push it and the fireplace opens up and you walk though a hallway and this massive cricket book library inside.
:laugh: It's not that bad, although they (books) have their own room:ph34r:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Have you read the Picador Book of Cricket by Ramachandra Guha? It is basically a collection of pieces Guha selects from various eras. The first few pieces on the first cricket tours and stuff is pretty fascinating.

A similar attitude exists right now among a fair few fans - that minnows might never be able to match the levels of the current elite test nations. I am all for not rushing minnows and all but I do hope we see some more fascinating cricketers from new nations in the future - a Chinese chinaman maybe... :D

Speaking of libraries, I have a huge collection of sports magazines from the past 30 years which contain 70% cricket stuff on an average (around 50-100 for each year) to till I recently stopped buying them regularly. That, apart from a fair few cricket books. Might be a good idea to start furnishing that room in my home for the library. :)

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
How on earth can you be too fat for cricket?:-O I think a certain Bemudan spin bowler would beg to differ

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Planning on building a cricket library of sorts of my own once I move out on my own (which should be sometime this millennium).

archie mac

International Coach
Have you read the Picador Book of Cricket by Ramachandra Guha? It is basically a collection of pieces Guha selects from various eras. The first few pieces on the first cricket tours and stuff is pretty fascinating.
I have read that one, very good read, I enjoyed it muchly:)

pasag

RTDAS
Planning on building a cricket library of sorts of my own once I move out on my own (which should be sometime this millennium).
Yeah same, can't imagine it'd be too easy to find cricket books there though. Don't think there's a great deal online either.

Craig

World Traveller
Off break out of the back of the hand. Opposite shoulder rotation to that of the leg-spinners googly.
It's an in-joke I have with NP, I call him Murali because he looks similar and he is waiting to take revenge when I get to the States some time. I call him that as a wind-up.