• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your most embarrassing cricketing moment?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I've gone for 35 off 2 overs. I wasn't even bowling that badly. The guy was just coming down the pitch and smashing for six over the 45-metre long-on boundary.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's a guy in our comp that wears no gloves, cleverly known as 'No Gloves' and bowlers keep trying to hit his hands, and he keeps pulling and cutting them for six. Scores a mountain of runs each season and is such a nice guy.

Have thought of doing the same thing, but have never had the guts, and probably don't have the talent either.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Playing against Endeavour Sports High, near Sydney. Was fielding at a wide Mid On-ish type position and 3rd Man i managed to have 4 misfields in 5 overs. I'm usually a solid fielder, but tbh, i don't really know what was happening that day. Got subbed off quite soon after that.
Do you know if they're near Sutherland?

DaViet

Cricket Spectator
Playing against Endeavour Sports High, near Sydney. Was fielding at a wide Mid On-ish type position and 3rd Man i managed to have 4 misfields in 5 overs. I'm usually a solid fielder, but tbh, i don't really know what was happening that day. Got subbed off quite soon after that.

I think i read about your match in the local newspaper "the leader"..tough luck mate!

My embarrassing moment was when playing for school and was bowling really well, was leading the wicket taking for the season, and for some reason my captain reckoned I was a handy with the bat and made me come in at 3. Hows this for a twenty over match: faced 80 deliveries, making 26 runs (top scoring too :blink: )

I'll stick with the ball thanks

Shlange

Cricket Spectator
I was batting in a grade lower than mine and I came to bat. The bowler only bowled really high donkey drop things. as he released it from his hand I just watched it sail up, then sail straight down into my face... didn't really "consider" reacting :D

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
2 off

first one, a few years ago we played against a team in the durham senior league in a cup match, there pro at the was clive butts the west indian, anyway it was a 20 over match, so being a pinch hitter (slogger) i suggested to the captain to put me up the order, which he duly did, first ball tried to sweep him and top edged one onto my grill, recovered from that, next ball gave him the charge, cleaned up big style middle stump out of the ground.

the other one was when i was captain of our second team (wolviston) we were playing at northallerton, lovely saturday afternoon, turned up a bit late, no time for team talks etc etc, went out, won the toss, elected to field, the rest of the troops came onto the pitch selected everybody for a fielding position, gave the new ball to one of our quicks, just about to start play, the umpire called me over and said " terry you have 12 men on the field " there was a few cry off's during the week, and i had selected one too many:unsure: :unsure:
apologied to one of the junior lads and started the game!!!!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's an under 16 match. I'm 99 not out, having batted since the 2nd over of the day. Id been hit on the thigh about 6 times by one of the other side's quicks (flimsy thigh pads back then) and was really sore. There's a guy fielding about 5 metres in from the boundary at long off. Guy had hands like feet - hadn't fielded a ball clean all day, so I punch one hard down the ground and take off for the 100th run, only to see this gumby race in like Viv Richards, pick up one handed and throw down middle stump with me hobbling up the pitch as quickly as possible while fighting a cramp in my leg. Verdict - run out for 99. After the game the umpire came off and said "It was very close, bad luck", to which I said "Gee, thanks Grandad!" Given run out (close call) by your grand father for 99. Still have nightmares about it.

dave.a7x

Cricket Spectator
my most embarrassing moment would be hitting a ball really sweet, then taking off for the run. i saw that a fielder had a ball in his hands, and i assumed he'd caught it, so i kept walking off the field. i was in a pissed off mood, and i wasnt paying attention to anything around me. i was tapped on the shoulder by the opposite teams keeper and he said 'mate, you hit that ball in to the ground, your not out' and he laughed. i hadn't even seen it do it. so i walked back to the crease, with an embarrased look in my face and hit the next ball for two more runs. Then i was out. for good this time. :laugh:

Boonie

Cricket Spectator
After batting for the last 20 overs (and top scoring) in a limited overs match. I collapsed due to the heat (43 or so), captain gave my 'keeping gloves to the first slipper and spelled me at mid on for a while. He threw me the ball to try to buy a wicket. It worked, 2 - 12 from four deliveries.....:blink:

Langeveldt

Soutie
I've been hit for 30 off 5 balls before, all good balls, flighting them, luring down the track and being smashed for six.. The sixth ball I fired in and he missed it..

Getting hit for 15 in my first (and last) over in the West of England premier league.. my first ball went for 5 wides..

Another embaressing one was throwing up on a beer during the fines meeting after the game.. We were playing in Queenstown which is fairly high up and it was a baking hot day.. I wasn't feeling my best and probably suffering from heatstroke.. needless to say that went down an absolute storm..

Last edited:

Storer

School Boy/Girl Captain
My most embarrasing moment would have to be when I was keeping, and they needed around 4,5,6 to win, and the batsman edged a pie, and I dropped it. :sleep:

deeps

International 12th Man
Went to India for two months to visit family. Played LOTS fo tennis ball cricket.

Landed back in Perth and had a game the very next day, no nets no nothing... Walked out at my usual number 5, and kept trying to drive everything. Batted for 4 or 5 overs, where anything on the stumps i'd somehow keep out, and anything else i'd take a huge step forward and try to loft over the bowlers head. Unfortunately the cricket ball was not as easy to drive as the tennis ball :(

Looked like an absolute goose for 4-5 overs, i made 2 runs, courtesy of an edge between 2nd and 3rd slip. Eventually was out LBW, even though i got an inside edge onto my pads.

In the same match, I bowled the second last over, and kept landing them very short (again, tennis ball cricket screwed me up), and went for 22 in the over. Most embarassing day of cricket ever.

Ozzie Osborne

Cricket Spectator
most of you will relate to this, when you are a junior you often play for lots of different teams - well i captained a few different ones so was always shouting "come on *insert team name*"

All was fine until i shouted at the top of my lungs "COME ON HIGHAM!" and as soon as the words came out, i realised i was not actually playing for Higham, all our players just pissed themselves and then started shouting "lets do it for Higham!!".

There was quite a crowd too, i could do nothing but laugh about it :)

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haha yeah, I've done that a few times.

I used to play for Ilkley, then moved to Ben Rhydding because everyone at Ilkley were just ****s. I remember the first game, me shouting, 'Come on lads, lets show this rabble how Ilkley play cricket'. Needless to say I got lots of funny looks from the crowd and teamates.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Opened the innings for our 8th grade side as I had already made our school team. Guys were looking upto me even though I wasn't the captain. Had scored an imp. 30 odd over the weekend as well in a school game and so expectations were pretty high. We were chasing a pretty small total of about 95 in 30 overs and first ball, a guy bowling military medium runs up and bowls what looked like a juicy full toss. For some reason, I decided to lap sweep it, somehow got some kind of an edge and the ball went straight up, was pretty gutsy wind that day and held up a little bit and came straight down to the bowler for a caught and bowled. The worst was to see that a kid from 6th grade who was playing for us as we were a player short hit the same bowler for 3 6s consecutively... :( Haven't ever opened the batting even in friendly tennis ball games since then...