• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Explain this umpiring decision

Dissector

International Debutant
I don't know if this video has been posted here but I saw it a few days ago and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAMDCv5c9A

It's a bit too good to be true though so I am guessing it's from some tv show or ad or something. Still quite amusing. Anyone know the context?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
That must be like an advert or something. There is no way that is a real match. There sin't a score in the corner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
the batsmen just walks.....:-O

the bowlers reminds me of a pakistan bowler
It is - Mohammad Akram. Surrey vs WhoKnows.

There was some discussion on this a while back - no-one could work-out what on Earth was going on.

As I said at the time - I don't understand why seemingly no-one outside CW and the guy who posted that on YouTube (and presumably those at The Oval that day) has noticed this. There was nothing on CricInfo about it - you'd imagine a dismissal like that would generate some serious headlines really.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
That's what I was thinking, at the 5th second it might have happened. The only thing possible really.
I only thought it about looking at Azhar Mahmood (#11) gesture as he appealled. Basically pointing at the stumps not the keeper for caught behind. I don't see where he hit wicket though.

Dissector

International Debutant
Hit wicket would make sense of the reactions but I just don't see it in the video. The batsman doesn't seem nearly far back to have hit wicket.

I suppose if we knew the rough date of the game and the batsman we could dig out the scorecard on Cricinfo.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's Mohammad Akram with the ball and Jon Batty behind the stumps.

The hit wicket theory is unworkable as Akram has only ever taken one hit wicket in his career - and that was playing for Essex against Surrey in 2003.

Looks like, from the comments on the youtube video anyway, it's from Surrey v Bradford/Leeds UCCE in April. That means the batsman is either Tom Merilaht or Shaaiq Choudhry... that's as much as I can find, however.