• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Explain this umpiring decision

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jha4tim the guy who posted this video om youtube has posted justone other video titled "shot lad". One view of that and you can see that it is from the same match. The ground and the wicket are the same and you can even see identical marks off the pitch.

Anyone recognise anything more from that ?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Stuart Magoffin was the bowler and he wasn't a main squad player, so thats why he doesn't have a number. He was one of backup overseas players in the squad.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Umpire is that Martin Bodenham fellow (unless it's a substitute Umpire, which you could conceive it being with a decision like that), because the other official in that game was Ian Gould, and his very distinctive finger-raising style was certainly not present in the dismissal in question.

I guess if it was a UCCE game that'd to some extent explain the lack of fuss; the papers never report those games, nor do CricInfo, and the crowds - if there are any - (especially at international grounds) are almost exclusively fellow students some of whom don't know the first thing about the game and are just going on a trip with their mates who are playing. No-one's going to be filming in any official capacity, this lad who took those two vids will have been totally unexpected.

It'd also be the perfect opportunity to make a few quid on some sort of mutual fix, as virtually no-one cares about these games (especially given that Bradford\Leeds don't even have First-Class status so no-one's records are even at stake), and as everyone knows, students always have an eye or three on some money-making. The Umpire is a nobody so he's got little to lose even if he does get found-out. The Surrey players are highly unlikely to take any interest in it.

Matthew Engel warned in Wisden (2004 I think) that I$C$C have a deal with Betfair to trace any unusual patterns; the ECB don't, and it's well-known that they don't.

This post, remember, is from someone who despises conspiracy-theorism. I'm not saying this because I'm being sensationalist, I'm saying it because I honestly think there's a chance.

CW should contact the ECB, really, to see if they're aware of any of this.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76WGfM0UhU8

This is the other video but I am not sure it's the same game. The bowler doesn't have a number on his back.
I did notice that but sometimes players will wear a different /numberless shirt than others.

The ground and wicket are thesame as is a white chalk mark to the right. Its exactly the same size and in the same spot.

Moreover, its shot from the same camera placed at the same spot or with exactly the same frame from all four sides which is a HUGE HUGE coincidence. Ask any photographer and he will tell you.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Th interesting thing about the catch is that everyone infront of the wicket had no doubt about the dismissal, whereas the keeper and first slip seem to have no clue. Maybe if we got a view from the other side we might see something else. But it does look like from the angle we saw that he clearly missed it, but their was a lot of talk from the bowl, away from the bat.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Th interesting thing about the catch is that everyone infront of the wicket had no doubt about the dismissal, whereas the keeper and first slip seem to have no clue. Maybe if we got a view from the other side we might see something else. But it does look like from the angle we saw that he clearly missed it, but their was a lot of talk from the bowl, away from the bat.
  1. BowledLaw 30
  2. Timed Out Law 31
  3. Caught Law 32
  4. Handling the ball Law 33
  5. Hitting the ball twice Law 34
  6. Hit Wicket Law 35
  7. Leg Before Wicket Law 36
  8. Obstructing the field Law 37
  9. Run Out Law 38
  10. Stumped Law 39

Can you tell which form pf dismisal from all the possible ones it could be in this case which was better seen from the front and maybe not from behind ?

Dissector

International Debutant
My hunch remains that it is some kind of comedy sketch or ad made with real players. If it was a case of match fixing it would be easy to make it look it a lot more genuine.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
that LBW looked out to me, why is Gatting reacting like that? He missed the sweep, the ball hit his back leg and was going on to hit the stumps.

edit: juz saw it more closely again, it did hit his front foot, poor decision.
Plus the fact that it pitched on off stump and was turning away.

bond21

Banned
my god, its so blatantly set up.

1. Noone appeals.

2. Batsman is not shocked to get out

3. Bails didnt come off so hit wicket is impossible

4. Camera angle is never used anymore

5. No sound or commentary

6. Slip fieldsman looked like a complete amateur

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
my god, its so blatantly set up.

1. Noone appeals.

2. Batsman is not shocked to get out

3. Bails didnt come off so hit wicket is impossible

4. Camera angle is never used anymore

5. No sound or commentary

6. Slip fieldsman looked like a complete amateur
I wish some people would read the thread before commenting...

4 - the footage was taken by some guy in the "crowd" (likely to have been 100 or so at best) with a video-camera

5 - the game is a non-First-Class UCCE game - of course there was no commentary

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My hunch remains that it is some kind of comedy sketch or ad made with real players. If it was a case of match fixing it would be easy to make it look it a lot more genuine.
If that was the case, YouTube would hardly be the premier place to put it would it? Nor would the YT poster place it the way he did.

Unless he went up to the players before play started and said "hey, do you guys fancy having a bit of fun?" Even this is virtually inconceivable as the Umpire would have known he was risking his reputation.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have sent a message to the original poster of that video at you tube asking for the source of the video. Lets see if he responds.