• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Warne never captained Australia

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah read about it in the paper the other day.

Nothing too new or shocking really. All the reasons make sense.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, they actually reasoned it so much. But, in reality he never really got a chance. It was handed over to Ponting just because Ponting was expected to carry the baton for many years.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just the same old stuff really, we all knew why he was never given a chance, a decision that seems pretty fair.

bond21

Banned
gee, i wonder why he wasnt captain.....

healy wouldve been captain instead of waugh if he didnt slam his bat into the fence.

pasag

RTDAS
Just the same old stuff really, we all knew why he was never given a chance, a decision that seems pretty fair.
Well everyone assumed (correctly) the reasons but here we have actual minutes from the board detailing and confirming our suspicions. It's pretty cool stuff and the Warne thing is just the tip of the iceberg in the book with heaps of stuff on Australian cricket politics going back three quarters of a century. With Haigh and Firth researching it, it looks awesome. Can't wait to buy (and have time to read it) tbh.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe those decisions had their merit. Looking back on it though, I feel a discomfort at him not being tested. Shane Warne was always a player you could count on when the chips were down and he was always the best when the pressure was crushingly high. So I wonder, sadly, if that extra responsibility would have made him even better.

bond21

Banned
he was like steve waugh.

He would start an innings with 5 slips, 2 gullys, straightish cover and a short midwicket. Probably not exact but you get the idea.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe those decisions had their merit. Looking back on it though, I feel a discomfort at him not being tested. Shane Warne was always a player you could count on when the chips were down and he was always the best when the pressure was crushingly high. So I wonder, sadly, if that extra responsibility would have made him even better.
The quote that said "he's always extremely likely to let you down if you give him some authority" said it all for me.

Whatever good he might have done, you almost know there'd be some awful scandal that everyone could do without.