• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

T20 Do Or Die for India

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
October 20th - T20 match against Australia is going to be a prestige issue for India...because if they lose this game.......all appreciations and pride they got as the world T20 champions will be washed out.....:huh:

Flem274*

123/5
October 20th - T20 match against Australia is going to be a prestige issue for India...because if they lose this game.......all appreciations and pride they got as the world T20 champions will be washed out.....:huh:
Er..why? If they lose one game it doesn't automatically delete the fact they won the WC.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha, what? What has one got to do with the other?

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
The connecting factor is Australia!!!! If India losses this game.......aussies can claim still they are powerful team in the cricket world...........hey this is just what I think:)

Flem274*

123/5
The connecting factor is Australia!!!! If India losses this game.......aussies can claim still they are powerful team in the cricket world...........hey this is just what I think:)
They claim that anyway don't they? Anyway I'm sure that if India lost then they wouldn't be to worried about losing just one game. If it became repetitive however then that would be an issue obviously.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
After winning the 1983 world cup bydefeating West Indies in th final India promptly got whitewashed by them at home - five-NIL

And the victory margins were big in almost all games. India losing
  • by 4 wkts,
  • by 6 wkts,
  • by 8 wkts and
  • by104 runs !!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll be claiming that regardless of the Twenty20 result.

Craig

World Traveller
India winning the T20 World Cup or not, but since when has a T20 result been the end all-end all? I'm a fan of T20 myself, but I don't see the relevance in determing who is the best team in the world when it is clearly Australia anyway regardless.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Agreed. The best team in the world = Test cricket. Not T20 WC, or ODI WC. In 1983, India might have won the WC but you'd have to be mad to say they were a better team than WI.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed. The best team in the world = Test cricket. Not T20 WC, or ODI WC. In 1983, India might have won the WC but you'd have to be mad to say they were a better team than WI.
Exactly. T20 is not all cricket is about nor is odi cricket. What's more a win here and there does not constitute a change in relative positons of teams. Otherwise Bangladesh and Zimbabwe should claim being on top of the world even if for short periods :)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
World Cups by nature are not something that will automatically find the best team: only on about half the occasions has the best side won the cricket World Cup (and 2 of those are the last 2):
1975: best team, one of West Indies or Australia; winners, West Indies
1979: best team, West Indies; winner, West Indies
1983: best team, West Indies; winner, India
1987: best team, one of India or Pakistan; winner, Australia
1992: best team, one of New Zealand or England; winner, Pakistan
1996: best team, Sri Lanka; winner, Sri Lanka
1999: best team, South Africa; winner, Australia
2003: best team, Australia; winner, Australia
2007: best team, Australia; winner, Australia
So out of the first 7 WCs, only twice did the side with clear hedgemony win it.

The purpose of the WC isn't to find the best ODI team, it's to find the team who happens to perform better over the 2 weeks \ 2 months of the tournament.

funnygirl

State Regular
So u were thinking that India is the best team in the world because they won 20/20:laugh:

No matter whatever the result of the 20/20 ,Aussies are the best team currently .

If India beat them in the upcoming ''Test'' series at their home ,i would say that India is the world champions.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
So u were thinking that India is the best team in the world because they won 20/20:laugh:

No matter whatever the result of the 20/20 ,Aussies are the best team currently .

If India beat them in the upcoming ''Test'' series at their home ,i would say that India is the world champions.
I think India is the only team that has the potential to defeat all the other cricket playing nations.........india is highly unpredictable during play........sometimes they will destroy some of the masters of cricket world and in other ways they undergo defeat to the minnows.........no body can expect what india will do in a Game. This is what I think......:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
World Cups by nature are not something that will automatically find the best team: only on about half the occasions has the best side won the cricket World Cup (and 2 of those are the last 2):
1975: best team, one of West Indies or Australia; winners, West Indies
1979: best team, West Indies; winner, West Indies
1983: best team, West Indies; winner, India
1987: best team, one of India or Pakistan; winner, Australia
1992: best team, one of New Zealand or England; winner, Pakistan
1996: best team, Sri Lanka; winner, Sri Lanka
1999: best team, South Africa; winner, Australia
2003: best team, Australia; winner, Australia
2007: best team, Australia; winner, Australia
So out of the first 7 WCs, only twice did the side with clear hedgemony win it.

The purpose of the WC isn't to find the best ODI team, it's to find the team who happens to perform better over the 2 weeks \ 2 months of the tournament.
Can I count or can I count :dry:

Unless you feel in 1975 BOTh Windiea and Australia should have won.:huh:

Kidding. I agree with what you are saying though,

Dissector

International Debutant
BTW there is no way India was the joint best team in 87; they had just been thrashed 5-1 by Pakistan in India. Not sure Sri Lanka was the best in 96 either. It was probably Australia. I agree with your main point though.

As for TT I think India played some terrific pressure games to deservedly win the Cup but I don't think they are the best team in the format at all. They were probably a bit lucky to be defending targets in their last four games.

I wouldn't be suprised if Australia beats them and I don't think it would take away from India's achievement in the WC.