• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ryder & Butler

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ive been impressed with Jesse Ryder today, his style of batting really reminds me of the way Sehwag batted in NZ just recently. I hope they don't throw him into the NZ team too early but even though he's scoring more runs than balls faced, its not an innings of slog..its an innings of excellent cricket shots.

As for Butler, last year he started to improve in the West Indies, but in the last 2 or 3 matches for Northern he really has shown his ability. I think he was bowling around 135 k's last year, he surely must be up around 145 k's this year & he's been bruising alot of batsmen aswell.

I'll add in James Marshall aswell, I should think by now he's leap-frogged a player like Matthew Horne who continues to muck
around.

Has anyone been impressed with Bruce Martin?, he really does get the ball to turn & is yet another tail-ender who can bat quite well.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yes I have been impressed with Butler, Ryder, Martin and Marshall too.

I really think Jesse Ryder is going to be a top player in a few years, I can see him really dominating in International cricket- because of what you noticed, his quickfire innings aren't slogs, good cricket shots. I have also seen him on the bowling machine, good technique and good clean powerful hitting.

Thats where I noticed the difference with Marshall, he lost composure today, though he played a good innings.

And about Matt Horne, he had a bit of a mare this weekend but I don't think he is "mucking around". He played that fantastic innings against Canterbury in his 3rd to last game...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I was probably a bit harsh on Matt Horne, but I've seen him play well in first class cricket many a time and then always play poorly at international cricket.

Despite James Marshall being a bit unorthodox today, he was pretty much forced to do that because of the game situation but I feel he is a player who would step up at international level. His running between the wickets is excellent & his fielding usually is very good.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
On the Nth v Sth match:

I thought Papps did well in the 2nd innings after Butler gave him a beauty in the first.

Shanan Stewart shouldn't have been playing, why wasn't Fulton picked ahead of him?

Matthew Walker looks a good all-rounder, although he could probably do to shed a few pounds.

Llorne Howell could be a player to watch out for, I think the NZ selectors will be seriously considering him for ODI cricket again.

Michael Mason is a good bowler & I think is justifying the national selectors faith in him.

Chris Gaffaney is a very good player, unfortunately he's always been so inconsistent. If he was more consistent, then NZ would have no problems with their #4 test batting spot.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yea Gaffaney certainly looked great today. I don't know if they will go back to Howell- quite old now eh.
You should get a Fulton avatar Tim.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I was talking to Mike Papps just after he was selected in this team and he said that after he got hit by Butler in Timaru he had lost a little confidence. Take a look at this photo of him

As for Ryder. I know him personally and i think he will rise for the bigger games. He is a great player.

Fulton did not deserve to be in the team. He is struggling to keep his place in the Canterbury team let alone get in the South team.

Attachments

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Fulton has not scored many runs for Canterbury in the One-Dayers, but can you blame him when he's batting at 7 below the likes of Astle, McMillan, Cairns, Harris, Stead etc.

I think Canterbury need to move him up the order so we can get a fair indication of what form he's actually in.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Jesse Ryder is quite odd really. He comes across when you are talking to him as a no hoper. You wouldnt think he was a fantastic batsman...
He was tanked on all three occassions that i spoke to him though...
not one of those intelligent, articulate lads though...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Jesse is a great guy. He is 19, and feeling a bit of freedom. Thats what most 19 year olds do. Drink and Sport. He is so relaxed about his cricket almost in the don't care way. That is probably y he is doing so well.

I just hope that NZ don't throw him into the Black Caps too early. Another year or 2 anyway.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Are you sure you met Jesse Ryder???

He is actually 18, 17 when i first met him last winter (i remember cos he wasnt allowed to go out on the town with the rest of the guys!).

a great guy??? ok...
hes ok...:yawn:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I know what he feels like. I am the only under 18 player in the canterbury magicians team and my club team. I don't drink but still you feel a little left out because everyone is out having a good time. U are stuck in your hotel watching TV.

Kimbo

International Debutant
haha.. he didnt sit in his room watching tv... he got drunk with the guys before they left :D good option i say!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think provinces are fairly tolerable with U19's & U21's drinking, but as soon as you hit the public eye at first class level thats when they come down on you like a tonne of bricks if you start drinking to excess.

I hope Mr.Ryder doesn't want to tank himself to often now that he's got the raps from Martin Crowe, Ian Smith etc. because thats when you start to get a bad name & you're cricket goes down the drain.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yeah, but its gotta be hard. He is 18 afterall. most players wouldnt have to worry about it for at least another 5 or so years..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
You've also got to throw into the equation what girls can do to influence a young 18 or 19 year old male :lol: