• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Northern Districts win the state competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris.hinton

International Captain
They beat Auckland by 17 runs, to clinch the one day competition

I bet the fans are Celebrating

Northern Districts innings (50 overs maximum) R M B 4 6
JAH Marshall b Canning 67 127 89 5 1
ME Parlane b Davis 6 44 34 1 0
HJH Marshall c Nicol b Horne 65 97 80 5 0
MN Hart c & b Pryor 25 66 46 0 0
DP Kelly c & b Haslam 14 26 17 0 0
JAF Yovich st Young b Horne 2 7 7 0 0
*+RG Hart not out 21 30 17 2 0
BP Martin b Pryor 16 8 8 2 1
MG Orchard not out 4 4 5 0 0
Extras (lb 2, w 9, nb 3) 14
Total (7 wickets, 50 overs, 208 mins) 234

DNB: GW Aldridge, IG Butler.

FoW: 1-29 (Parlane, 10.3 ov), 2-136 (JAH Marshall, 31.2 ov),
3-150 (HJH Marshall, 34.6 ov), 4-171 (Kelly, 41.1 ov),
5-178 (Yovich, 42.6 ov), 6-204 (MN Hart, 46.4 ov),
7-223 (Martin, 48.3 ov).

Bowling O M R W
Davis 10 1 34 1 (2w)
Pryor 9 0 47 2 (3nb, 6w)
Canning 10 1 42 1 (1w)
Haslam 9 0 44 1
Walker 2 0 19 0
Barnes 5 0 26 0
Horne 5 0 20 2

Advertise on CricInfo
Auckland innings (target: 235 runs from 50 overs) R M B 4 6
LG Howell b Butler 1 38 18 0 0
MJ Horne c Martin b Yovich 0 9 2 0 0
MH Richardson c RG Hart b Yovich 5 13 13 1 0
TK Canning run out (Aldridge) 44 124 99 3 0
RJ Nicol st RG Hart b MN Hart 33 64 47 5 1
AC Barnes c Kelly b Martin 33 71 58 2 1
CR Pryor c HJH Marshall b Aldridge 38 44 30 1 2
+RA Young not out 36 38 26 5 0
*BGK Walker not out 4 20 8 0 0
Extras (lb 2, w 20, nb 1) 23
Total (7 wickets, 50 overs, 218 mins) 217

DNB: MJ Haslam, HT Davis.

FoW: 1-5 (Horne, 1.2 ov), 2-13 (Richardson, 3.5 ov),
3-18 (Howell, 6.6 ov), 4-73 (Nicol, 23.4 ov),
5-121 (Canning, 36.5 ov), 6-157 (Barnes, 42.1 ov),
7-181 (Pryor, 45.5 ov).

Bowling O M R W
Butler 10 1 39 1 (1nb, 4w)
Yovich 10 0 52 2 (11w)
Orchard 3 1 10 0
Aldridge 7 0 43 1 (3w)
Martin 10 2 39 1 (2w)
MN Hart 10 0 32 1

From Cricinfo

Guy Smilie

Cricket Spectator
The knights are lucky that Lou wasnt there or it would have been a different game. But ND did have the harder run to the final so good on them.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
bloody happy to see James Marshall get some runs there. Top bloke and had a great season for us when he was out here for the first few games and he's a really top guy.

What chance is he of getting a kiwi spot any time soon??

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon James Marshall could be in line to go to Sri Lanka mid-year.

I think after the World Cup, the selectors may change their squad selections because at the moment we have far too many all-rounders & not enough batsmen.

I don't know where he'd bat in tests though...I think in Sri Lanka the openers will be Michael Papps, Mark Richardson & maybe Tim McIntosh.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Am I the only one here who finds it odd that NZ players who haven't really done much like Ryder and just about anyone who does well for a few games is suddenly ready for the National Team while in England we have players like Ali Brown and David Fulton piling on 1000+ runs a season and Martin Saggers, James Kirtley and Kevin Dean who end up as the top wicket takers every season yet are not good enough to play for England...

Also, and I know Rich will love me for this, but if you can find a pace bowler who has taken more wickets at a lower average than Saggers in FC Cricket in the last 3 years then hats off to you.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you ask me, thats probably a difference in the standard of cricket played at first class level.

David Sales played for Wellington last season & correct me if im wrong but he's regarded as one of England's better first class players isn't he? he averaged around 28 in the 4 dayers.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway I don't think the selectors will make the same mistake with Jesse Ryder, I hope..

Butler is a good fast bowler, but there's no way he was ready to play England last season & likewise with McCullum who practically played his 4th One Dayer at first class level against Australia at Sydney.

All 3 of these players have been outstanding at U19 level and really got picked because of that...but instead I think they should be playing first class cricket & already with Butler there's a huge difference..he's up near 145 k's & bowling very sharp while McCullum has hit alot of runs for Otago.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
If you ask me, thats probably a difference in the standard of cricket played at first class level.

David Sales played for Wellington last season & correct me if im wrong but he's regarded as one of England's better first class players isn't he? he averaged around 28 in the 4 dayers.
No he's classed as one of the up and coming young players, but he's very very inconsistant. He can get a big 200 then a duck in the next innings.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Anyway I don't think the selectors will make the same mistake with Jesse Ryder, I hope..

Butler is a good fast bowler, but there's no way he was ready to play England last season & likewise with McCullum who practically played his 4th One Dayer at first class level against Australia at Sydney.

All 3 of these players have been outstanding at U19 level and really got picked because of that...but instead I think they should be playing first class cricket & already with Butler there's a huge difference..he's up near 145 k's & bowling very sharp while McCullum has hit alot of runs for Otago.
That's true what you say. England have not pushed Ian Bell into the Test side yet and certianly wouldn't think of picking Bilhal Shayfayt (sorry if I got the spelling wrong) of Nottinghamshire even though he is starring against Australia U-19s for England U-19s. In England we expect consistantly good performances but also the right temprement. The downside of the latter is that we get players like Dawson who play in the right spirit but are not very effective even at County level and are definately not ready for Tests yet.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sales is around 26 & he's an up & coming young player?
he's played over 90 matches so he's beyond that stage.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ian Bell has made a very good start at first class level, I think one more season for Warwick's and he'll be raring to go for England.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ive just been looking at the scorecard from the U19 World Cup super league match between NZ & England last year.

It was an extremely close match which NZ won by just 3 runs.
Jesse Ryder was man of the match for his 54 off 41 balls innings.

So there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference between the two nations as far as younger players go.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Sales is around 26 & he's an up & coming young player?
he's played over 90 matches so he's beyond that stage.
The guy has been out for over a year with a serious injury so that would make him 24-25 and that is still considered a youngish player. The guy has a lot of talent, seriously, but he's not the complete artical.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Ian Bell has made a very good start at first class level, I think one more season for Warwick's and he'll be raring to go for England.
Yeah but then he had that horror season last year :(

Still he's a quality player. I would love to see him in the Test Squad for the games against Zimbabwe, it would be a pressure-free debut! Then he would be able to test himself against South Africa later in the year. But I suppose England will just stick with Crawley and Key for the Tests against Zimbabwe, leave Bell to just waste his time in the CC and suffer for it when neither of the players they selected make any real impact in the series. I mean this team has Pollock and Kallis and Kirsten and Gibbs...man we need some new players with a bit about them.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
WELL DONE ND!

Great to see the boys had a win...

Looks like it was a belter of a game too!!:)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't wait to see how some of these young players do, I mean in 10 years time when all the current Australian team have retired (except Lee who might have burnt himself out instead) then we will have a whole different look to the sides. Frankly I can't wait to see who will be on top in 10 years, and who the star players are out of the current crop of youngsters.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Rik said:
Am I the only one here who finds it odd that NZ players who haven't really done much like Ryder and just about anyone who does well for a few games is suddenly ready for the National Team while in England we have players like Ali Brown and David Fulton piling on 1000+ runs a season and Martin Saggers, James Kirtley and Kevin Dean who end up as the top wicket takers every season yet are not good enough to play for England...

Also, and I know Rich will love me for this, but if you can find a pace bowler who has taken more wickets at a lower average than Saggers in FC Cricket in the last 3 years then hats off to you.

Its not odd at all. The facts are that England are a moderately performed cricket country at the moment, and having their talent spread across 18 FC teams means that a player performing well doesn't have as much merit as a player performing well in the New Zealand FC competition as a the Kiwis are a similar standard cricketing country right now and have only 6 teams to spread their talent across in the FC arena.

The Saggers comment seems irrelevant to me as I would love to see players such as Glenn McGrath and Shaun Pollock's FC average plummt if they bowled to some of the FC cricketers in England and not play any test or FC cricket against batsmen that are of FC calibre, which clearly some of the English players aren't. If England are to reammerge as a force they're going to have to bring the number of FC teams down to 10 at the most, but preferably 8 IMO.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Jesse Ryder hasnt done much yet because hes 18. It's just the way he bats that has people excited, he hits the ball hard and clean, but doesnt just slog.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
Its not odd at all. The facts are that England are a moderately performed cricket country at the moment, and having their talent spread across 18 FC teams means that a player performing well doesn't have as much merit as a player performing well in the New Zealand FC competition as a the Kiwis are a similar standard cricketing country right now and have only 6 teams to spread their talent across in the FC arena.

The Saggers comment seems irrelevant to me as I would love to see players such as Glenn McGrath and Shaun Pollock's FC average plummt if they bowled to some of the FC cricketers in England and not play any test or FC cricket against batsmen that are of FC calibre, which clearly some of the English players aren't. If England are to reammerge as a force they're going to have to bring the number of FC teams down to 10 at the most, but preferably 8 IMO.
There you go again. Honestly! There are a lot of good players in County Cricket, the signing of 2 overseas players per season will just stop talented youngsters getting a go and make England weaker in the long run.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
There you go again. Honestly! There are a lot of good players in County Cricket, the signing of 2 overseas players per season will just stop talented youngsters getting a go and make England weaker in the long run.
The 2nd Overseas Player will replace the weakest English player in the county - how's that going to make England weaker in the long run?

It'll increase standards in County Cricket, so it's surely a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.