• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Northern Districts win the state competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Warwickshire for example have 33 professionals on there staff whilst Worcester have 17, there has got to be a Balance between this. Perhaps 6 regional sides would do the trick.
You really don't like the Bears do you? Always using them as an example!

For the record, I can only find 24 on the official Warwickshire site, and AFAIK we've only got Neil Carter as an EU passport holder...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Giles, Penny, Knight, Wagh, Pollock, Brown, Bell, Troughton...:rolleyes:
Pollock left, but Bond would.

I don't know if we have a leggie. but he should be playing for England if he exists, so we can't put him in the Worcestershire side!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Pollock left, but Bond would.

I don't know if we have a leggie. but he should be playing for England if he exists, so we can't put him in the Worcestershire side!
Kadder Ali has been known to bowl a few overs of Leg Spin...or is that Kadeer Ali? :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OK, but if that includes the youth trainees (there's only 24 in the squad on the official site), then you have to include the similar players at New Road.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
Bangladesh...India...Pakistan...

:lol:
I meant name the useless Aussies in the FC competition. As for the Bangladeshi, Indian and Pakistani leagues... compared to the level that the national team plays at there's nothing wrong with Bangladesh's domestic set up, and I know very little about India & Pakistan except that their cricketing population dictates a larger domestic setup.

Doesn't escape the point that there are far too many "useless" players in the County Championship to make it a reasonable step below Test level. Another overseas player will only help it in this respect.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
I meant name the useless Aussies in the FC competition. As for the Bangladeshi, Indian and Pakistani leagues... compared to the level that the national team plays at there's nothing wrong with Bangladesh's domestic set up, and I know very little about India & Pakistan except that their cricketing population dictates a larger domestic setup.

Doesn't escape the point that there are far too many "useless" players in the County Championship to make it a reasonable step below Test level. Another overseas player will only help it in this respect.
Help by costing more money? Or just failing and taking up the space a youngster could fill...:rolleyes:

Look what happened when Justin Langer and Mark Ramprakash left Middlesex...yes, the number 3 spot became available and Owais Shah took it and hasn't looked back since.

And you want a poor player in the Australian league? Davison the Candian spinner who plays in Australia, off the top of my head. Just ask Rich, he's got a list...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Look what happened when Justin Langer and Mark Ramprakash left Middlesex...yes, the number 3 spot became available and Owais Shah took it and hasn't looked back since.
Erm, he averaged 41 and then nearly 50?

That's hardly a great effort in County Cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Help by costing more money? Or just failing and taking up the space a youngster could fill...:rolleyes:
How many fail? Not many.

The youngster gets to learn from an experienced International, and also has to work harder to get a spot - too many young players just aren't tough enough, and when they come to the Test arena, get found out very quickly.

Have a look at the recent England batting debutants.

Rob Key - yet to really impress.
Usman Afzaal - erm, OK.
Ian Ward - right.
Michael Vaughan - success.
Chris Adams - I'll stop now.

That doesn't include the bowling and keeping of the likes of Giddins, Schofield, Foster etc.

Or the all round skills of Gavin Hamilton.

And don't forget Darren Maddy!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:

And you want a poor player in the Australian league? Davison the Candian spinner who plays in Australia, off the top of my head. Just ask Rich, he's got a list...
Now, what would Davison do in the County Championship?

A lot better than a lot of the useless rubbish that we have to put up with! They're going to take up spaces that poor players would have filled, not good youngsters. If a youngster can't get in a county first XI, then what hope has he got internationally?!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil's right.

Because of the large number of teams, there are some players on the county scene who are really just there to make up the numbers.

I know cutting the amount of teams would be a break in tradition, but in order to advance at international level this is what England must do in order to improve the standard of cricket played at county level.

I'll think you'll find that there are very few players in the Australian domestic teams that don't fancy themselves as an international player..infact I could probably count them on one hand.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:

I'll think you'll find that there are very few players in the Australian domestic teams that don't fancy themselves as an international player..infact I could probably count them on one hand.
And those that are not good enough for Aus "do a Jackie Charlton!"

Bazza

International 12th Man
Mark you forgot the bowling of Dawson and Harmison. And Ormond. And Ryan Sidebottom. I still can't work out how Chris Silverwood got BACK in during the Ashes. :(

However I feel I must defend Ed Giddins. He bowled quite well a couple of times and if only he knew what a bat looked like he would be a better option than Dominic Cork, who's probably smiling right now as he thinks about his near-certain recall come the start of the season.

chris.hinton

International Captain
These Players are fully contracted to Warwick

Powell
Knight
Troughton
I.Bell
Wagh
Ostler
Piper
Giles
Bond