• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman to lead India 'A' in WI

V Reddy

International Debutant
Laxman to lead India 'A' in Carib Beer Cup
Staff Reporter - 31 January 2003

Dropped from the World Cup squad in favour of Dinesh Mongia, Hyderabadi batsman VVS Laxman finds himself now leading the India 'A' squad to the West Indies to participate in the Carib Beer first-class competition.

Earlier the Busta Cup, the West Indian domestic contest has, over the last few years, made it a tradition to invite the 'A' sides of various countries to face off against first-class sides such as Guyana, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago and Antigua.

Laxman will be leading a side with quite a few Indian caps in it. Aside from Laxman himself, who is still a regular in the Test line-up, the squad includes opener Connor Williams, who played for India in South Africa. Hemang Badani is another batsman who has represented India at the highest level.

Among the bowlers, both L Balaji and Tinu Yohannan have played for India, although their chances in the national side were limited. Left-arm spinner Murali Kartik, also named, may even consider himself unlucky to not be picked for the World Cup in South Africa ahead of Anil Kumble. Ajay Ratra, one of India's young wicket-keeping options, will be India's stumper on this tour.

Many eyes will be on another Hyderabadi batsman, Ambati Rayudu. The youngster impressed in his last trip abroad - in England - and he has been in blazing form in the Indian first-class circuit. A good tour in the West Indies, with some solid performances, may be just what he needs if he is to make the transition to the next level in the near future.

Squad: VVS Laxman (captain), Hemang Badani, Akash Chopra, Connor Williams, Gautam Gambhir, Ambati Rayudu, Abhijit Kale, Rakesh Patel, Avishkar Salvi, L Balaji, Tinu Yohannan, Ajay Ratra, Murali Kartik, Amit Mishra, Jai P Yadav

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And what's wrong with that? The idea was to get opinions on it...

I rate Rayudu very highly after his displays for India U19 last summer in England, so I'll be keeping a watch on him closely!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't see how a Test regular plays for India 'A' - is this a sign that he's not considered regular any more, or is it showing there's no-one coming through worthy of his place?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
You just copied that out of an artical on Cricinfo :rolleyes:
Yeah Why? What's Wrong? I think most of the people do copy articles.

I think Rayudu will be the player to watch out for and ofcourse Balaji
:D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Yeah Why? What's Wrong? I think most of the people do copy articles.

I think Rayudu will be the player to watch out for and ofcourse Balaji
:D
Nothing! But I had just read that artical on Cricinfo at the time! :lol:

Who drew that pic in your avatar?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
Nothing! But I had just read that artical on Cricinfo at the time! :lol:

Who drew that pic in your avatar?
I was just surfing a NZ Website and came across it and so used it as my avatar.:)

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Erm, he already is?

Yeh I know that! I havent been living under a rock. But I dont think he is good enough yet. Ill probably get a load of abuse from the Indian contingent for saying that tho :lol: :lol:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well apart from two brilliant innings against Australia, he has stuck around for a couple of years doing not a lot, probably stopping a younger player coming through.

How old is he anyway?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Well apart from two brilliant innings against Australia, he has stuck around for a couple of years doing not a lot, probably stopping a younger player coming through.

How old is he anyway?
He is 28 years old.

If you are talking about ODIs, I won't argue with you.He hasn't done anything special in ODIs and unless there is a real shortage of good middle order batsman for India, he is out of contention for the time being.

In tests, I don't agree with you at all.He has scored at an average of around 40-50 for the last two seasons starting from that Australia series in 2000/01. He needs to be pushed up in the order for him to convert those 50s-60s that he scores into 100s. Now he is being under utilized in my opinion, due to Ganguly's insistence in coming ahead of Laxman in the batting order.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with A_B. When Laxman bats at 4 he averages 52.25 from only 12 innings and at number 6 he averages 47.51! I think if he was allowed to bat up the order some of those not outs would become 100s and big ones at that! Ganguly is not the form player here, and he's being rather selfish batting ahead of Laxman. Also your (Marc and Langevelt)'s arguement about his age...he's 28 and 92 days old! That is seriously NOT old! Also he hasn't just "stuck around for a couple of years not doing a lot", well his last 4 series averages are 79.00, 39.80, 90.33, 6.75. And from 2001 he has scored 1350 runs at an average of around or just under 50 (sorry but I can't be bothered to work it out!) and guess what folks! Yes! It doesn't include that series against Australia...so I guess that arguement doesn't stand either!

He's done a hell of a lot better than Graeme Hick did anyway (of players who have dominated domestic leagues but not gone on or been downgraded because they don't perform quite as well as they were expected to!)

Sheeesh I just defended an Indian! :lol: But I like VVS Laxman.

Last edited: