• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worse pressure players?

Craig

World Traveller
For me it is the likes of Michael Bevan, Steve Waugh and Brian Lara (WI-Aus 98/99 Test Series as one example) of what I have seen as the best players under pressure. Players can also include Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne. I'll chuck in Chris Cairns as well, he has played some strong innings under pressure.

As for some the worse players under pressure, Lance Klusenser can be included if you remember that Semi-Final, yet he has played well under pressure as well. I guess he belongs in between.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Stephen Waugh ever really felt under pressure.

The more difficult the situation, the more he relished it. Same with Warner, even if the two of them hated each others' guts. :p

Bevan was obviously brilliant too.

cpr

International Coach
Atherton, remembering that innings against South Africa, also relished facing Donald at his most fierce. If there ever was a 'backs to the wall' player, it was him.

Hard to judge who cant handle pressure, because pressures usually caused by others in the team failing, so to single out one in the rot is difficult.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not sure what this means. Don't really agree with the concept tbh. Doing badly in pressure situation would be if you were supposed to win, but lost it due to a choke...which means it can't be an individual thing, but a team situation (eg South Africa losing from a position of strength repeatedly).

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
As for some the worse players under pressure, Lance Klusenser can be included if you remember that Semi-Final, yet he has played well under pressure as well. I guess he belongs in between.
Dont think you can blame Klusener for that at all tbh...if it wasnt for him they wouldnt have even gotten close. Last over of a world cup semi final, 8 needed, and cool as you like he wacked the first two balls all along the carpet for four.
I think it was purely bad luck (with them being gun-shy from the ball before) and the fact that the Aussies kept their cool.

Warne was the ultimate pressure player for me, that 99 semi final along with so many other games showcase how pressure just brought the best out of him.

Worst pressure player = Harmison, with the notable exception of that first morning at Lords he's flopped just about everytime England have REALLY needed him.

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Waugh
Bevan
Lara
Tendulkar
Klusener
Hussey
Dravid
Kallis

Lee? Can't recall him doing all that much at test level and in ODIs, how many times has he ruined the final ten overs in crunch matches - Hadlee series?

gunner

U19 Cricketer
best ever player under pressure has to be inzimam ul haq

won his team the world cup with 2 pressure knocks
saves his team from being 1st to lose against bangladesh with 138*
That 122 in karachi vs india in odi
184 in 100th test to win pak test match and draw series
that unbeaten 50 vs aus in karachi to take pakistan to 1 wicket win

and many more knocks

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Worst pressure player = Harmison, with the notable exception of that first morning at Lords he's flopped just about everytime England have REALLY needed him.
And plenty of times when (to whatever extent your team can ever "not need" you) they haven't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He didn't, though - he had help from Ian Healy's incompetance behind the stumps. Had the chance Lara gave with 7 needed been taken, West Indies wouldn't have won the game.

Not for a second am I saying that that Lara innings was anything other than magnificent, because it'd still have been one hell of an effort if Healy had taken the catch, but he didn't win the game off his own bat.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adam Gilchrist is pretty good under pressure, big performances in World Cup finals.

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Best - Steve Waugh, Bevan, Dravid, Kumble, Inzi, Miandad, Kallis
Worst - Tendulkar, Srinath, Zaheer,