• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worse pressure players?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also you could argue that Sobers is not the best allrounder of all time. I do see what you mean though.
You could argue that there were plenty of people who were more rounded all-rounders than Sobers - I do, in fact.

Yet I still rate Sobers the best all-rounder of all-time. He could bowl every style, and while he didn't always have as much success as you'd like, I still rate him a damn fine bowler, and given that he's one of the best there's ever been purely as a batsman, I think this makes him the best all-rounder ever, even if he is a batting-all-rounder.

But the likes of Keith Miller, Imran Khan, Ian Botham for about half his career, heck even Kapil Dev, are more "all-round" than Sobers ever was.

As if

Cricket Spectator
Yet I still rate Sobers the best all-rounder of all-time. He could bowl every style, and while he didn't always have as much success as you'd like, I still rate him a damn fine bowler, and given that he's one of the best there's ever been purely as a batsman, I think this makes him the best all-rounder ever, even if he is a batting-all-rounder.
Yes, and he did it all on the back of 3/4 hours sleep after being being out all night painting the town red. Which puts him on a pedestal/pedalo the great Sir Ian of Botham, Freddy and the rest can't reach.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, yeah, my thoughts exactly TBH.
Well lets put it this way. Every once in a while someone really really gets my goat and then I decide to let them have it.

Not good...not good. :dry:

PS : In the case of one poster recently I broke my general rule of not touching those on my ignore list to let him have it because it was something very close to my heart.

Not good as I said before ...not good. Must watch it. :mellow:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS,

The point you made (which need not have been made in the first place, it's about as self evident as anything can be) probably went whoosh over the head of Bhupinder Singh. Even though it was amusing, you shouldn't have fed the troll. :)
You are right but ..........

Well lets put it this way. Every once in a while someone really really gets my goat and then I decide to let them have it.

Not good...not good. :dry:

PS : In the case of one poster recently I broke my general rule of not touching those on my ignore list to let him have it because it was something very close to my heart.

Not good as I said before ...not good. Must watch it. :mellow:
:)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dissector said:
Steve Waugh is really overrated when it comes to handling pressure. He has a terrible fourth-innings record which is when the pressure is often at its maximum.
Haha, this fourth innings record stuff as a gauge of innings under pressure is such rubbish. What about watching a game. For every chase that is really close in the fourth innings, there are about 2 or 3 where the game is already won, or the game is well beyond reach.

I think those that watched enough Steve Waugh would be able to tell you that he made runs when the side was at 3/30, or 5/100 enough to be able to perform under pressure. Specific examples are much more relevant than a very ambivalent stat over a whole career where you've made a massive assumption about what that stat represents.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, this fourth innings record stuff as a gauge of innings under pressure is such rubbish.
Absolutely. Anyone who says runs in one certain innings, be it first, third or fourth, are automatically worth more in a certain way than another, frankly, hasn't a clue what they're on.

I once heard someone suggest that only first-innings runs should count to a batting average - I mean, WTF? 8-)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, and he did it all on the back of 3/4 hours sleep after being being out all night painting the town red. Which puts him on a pedestal/pedalo the great Sir Ian of Botham, Freddy and the rest can't reach.
Well to be fair, Sir Beefy and Keith Miller in particular weren't exactly members of the knitting club when it came to extra-curricular activities...

Its amazing how many new things one learns here everyday.

Today I learnt something new again.

The 96 not out that Gavaskar played in his final test innings against Pakistan on a wicket turning square and which many considered the finest of his illustrious career was not played under any pressure whatsoever.

How could it be under pressure ? India lost the match :dry:

BS zindabad :)
I would call a match winning 50 a better under pressure innings than a match losing 100(Thats if you were batting last).When it comes to great batsmen like Sachin,you certainly expec them to stay at the wicket till the winning runs or at least until taking you very close to a win.

No, I have neither the time nor the inclination - and it isn't my job.
Then why label someone as "troll" if you neither know much about him nor have you been through his posts?I'd request the moderators to take a notice of this because I don't think I've said anything in my recent posts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm a troll,based on what exactly?
based on your posts.
Can you mention any recent 3 of my those "trolling" posts with explanation?
No, I have neither the time nor the inclination - and it isn't my job.
Then why label someone as "troll" if you neither know much about him nor have you been through his posts?I'd request the moderators to take a notice of this because I don't think I've said anything in my recent posts.
FWIW, I think BhupinderSingh has been excellent in his most recent spell (and I've always loved his hatred of wahindiawah\nehrafan\etc. down the years). Disappointed Yawer (and Jono) still think of him as a troll TBH.

shortpitched713

International Captain
AWTA. Yeah BS is prone to make the odd rash statement, but then again who isn't? He's also become a lot more objective in his analysis of players throughout history, even if he does hold a soft spot for Imran Khan. Most improved poster in recent times for mine.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FWIW, I think BhupinderSingh has been excellent in his most recent spell (and I've always loved his hatred of wahindiawah\nehrafan\etc. down the years). Disappointed Yawer (and Jono) still think of him as a troll TBH.
I would tend to agree that BhupinderSingh hasn't given one too much to complain although this particular dialogue has started with my strong disagreement with what he has to say aboutSachin under pressure.

On the whole even though I disagree with him many times, I have NEVER found him disagreeable as a poster and I suspect I am a bit fussier than most others :)

There is nothing wrong with BS that a proper cricket-education wont set right. :)

Kidding BS but honestly you should read some of the books Archie_Mac recommends. You will love them for I can see that you love the game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I personally think that a lot of Bhupinder's opinions are purely derived from statistics e.g. 'Salim Malik is the best Pakistani batsman ever..' or 'Gary Sobers is over-rated as an allrounder' etc type.

Besides that I find him a fairly interesting poster who has contributed a lot to the forum in recent times with some pretty good debates and topics.