• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worse pressure players?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say Harmison too as one of the worst. His technique doesn't exactly lend itself to being good in pressure situations.

As if

Cricket Spectator
best ever player under pressure has to be inzimam ul haq
Yeah right. Failing to get 40 odd in two innings on a flat track and not beat Javeds record puts him right up there with the best doesn't it?

If only he'd eaten less chappaties and run a few more singles, eh?

Perm

Yeah right. Failing to get 40 odd in two innings on a flat track and not beat Javeds record puts him right up there with the best doesn't it?

If only he'd eaten less chappaties and run a few more singles, eh?
There wasn't any game pressure though, just a personal record. It's completely different.

Craig

World Traveller
Not to mention that infamous Hobart knock.
Justin Langer then as well. That was incredible too.

The funiest sledge came from that game was an unnamed Pakistani player shouted at Langer: "You're not good enough for our second XI". It is in Steve Waugh's travel diary at the time if you want to check the quote.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
An alltime great who doesn't do well in pressure situations is Sachin Tendulkar.
  • nearly 27000 international runs
  • 78 international centuries
  • 217 scores above fifty
  • 211 international cathces

I mean just imagine such a lousy handler of pressure and this is what he does. International cricket sounds like a stroll in the park by a seventy year old lady in hijab...

Add to that a billion arm chair critics who think they would have done better...

Maybe it is cricket punditry that comes so easy.....

:dry:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what this means. Don't really agree with the concept tbh. Doing badly in pressure situation would be if you were supposed to win, but lost it due to a choke...which means it can't be an individual thing, but a team situation (eg South Africa losing from a position of strength repeatedly).
Usually it takes one player to break through that wall and the rest pick-up from there.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, Warne, Lara, Waugh, Bevan, Dravid, Border, Lillee, Gilchrist, Imran Khan...these kind of players excelled as the situation got more tense and difficult for their team to win or even draw.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Steve Waugh is really overrated when it comes to handling pressure. He has a terrible fourth-innings record which is when the pressure is often at its maximum.

Though he has some ways to go in his test career, Ashwell Prince strikes me as someone who is excellent under pressure. Also Jacques Kallis. The two of them did something unprecedented AFAIK in test history in their recent home series against India and Pakistan. Both those series went right down to the last innings and in both innings Prince and Kallis got together with the game evenly balanced and took their team to close to victory. I don't know if any two players have every done that in consecutive series.

• nearly 27000 international runs
  • 78 international centuries
  • 217 scores above fifty
  • 211 international cathces

I mean just imagine such a lousy handler of pressure and this is what he does. International cricket sounds like a stroll in the park by a seventy year old lady in hijab...

Add to that a billion arm chair critics who think they would have done better...

Maybe it is cricket punditry that comes so easy.....

:dry:
I'm not denying that he's a great batsman but he's never been as good as he should be in pressure situations.

Dissector

International Debutant
There are different kinds of pressure. Tendulkar has faced the most intense public scrutiny pretty much since he was a kid. I doubt any cricketer in the history of the game has faced that kind of pressure and it's quite remarkable that he has survived for so long.

Even in the conventional cricketing sense Tendulkar has played some great pressure innings even though like Steve Waugh he doesn't have a good fourth innings record. His two match-winning hundreds against Australia in Madras were of the highest quality and were under huge pressure. He has delivered with the ball in pressure situations on several occasions too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There are different kinds of pressure. Tendulkar has faced the most intense public scrutiny pretty much since he was a kid. I doubt any cricketer in the history of the game has faced that kind of pressure and it's quite remarkable that he has survived for so long.

Even in the conventional cricketing sense Tendulkar has played some great pressure innings even though like Steve Waugh he doesn't have a good fourth innings record. His two match-winning hundreds against Australia in Madras were of the highest quality and were under huge pressure. He has delivered with the ball in pressure situations on several occasions too.
Exactly.

It wont serve any purpose since those who have made up their minds are not interested otherwise I could list here fifty high pressure innings by Sachin.

From the figures it is clear that he hasnt faced many pressure situations in such a massively long career.:mellow:
India has won around 30% of the Tests in which he's scored centuries,thats half the ratio of wins Pakistan has secured in those tests where Inzamam scored centuries.It shows that in pressure situations,he hasn't not even half as goo as Inzamam(who's overall a much inferior batsman compared to him).

Flem274*

123/5
Worst players under pressure:

Vincent
Fleming
Fulton
Taylor
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Bond
Patel
Martin
Very temted to roll eyes you. Alot of those blokes are pretty damn good under pressure you know. With the notable exceptions being Taylor and Martin.

Perm

Very temted to roll eyes you. Alot of those blokes are pretty damn good under pressure you know. With the notable exceptions being Taylor and Martin.
Martin just isn't very good fullstop. I think it was a piss-take anyway.