• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam Ul haq vs Javid Maindad

who was a better batsman?

• Javid Miandad

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Inzamam Ul hap

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

haroon510

International 12th Man
i was reading the tributes to inzamam by osman samiuddin... according to him both inzi and javid was a fighter who were considered the back bone of the pakistani team..
i really wanted to start this topic long ago.. but i was waiting for a time like this.. so what do u guys think? who was a better batsman? who played well during pressure?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hanif > both of 'em. :p

Honestly, TBH, I couldn't really find a conclusive argument to say one was better than the other. Both superlative batsmen.

Hanif > both of 'em. :p

Honestly, TBH, I couldn't really find a conclusive argument to say one was better than the other. Both superlative batsmen.
Saleem Malik >any Pakistani batsman but no one resects him & consider him worthy of being mentioned because he was a match fixer.Yes,he deserves to be hated but you can't change the fact that he's the best Pakistani batsman ever.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Javed for me,utterly and ferociously competitive.

Zaheer, Javed, Younis, Yousuf, Anwar, Inzy, all players I've seen who were better then Saleem, irrespective of him being cheating scum, imho.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Saleem Malik >any Pakistani batsman but no one resects him & consider him worthy of being mentioned because he was a match fixer.Yes,he deserves to be hated but you can't change the fac that he's the best Pakistani batsman ever.
I have seen Saleem Malik bat loads and he was not that good really. Just look at his away average:

Code:
53   84  11  2860 165  155  140   [B][COLOR="Red"]39.17[/COLOR][/B]   5  15   7
Another aspect - he was very inconsistent. A good year followed by a bad one followed by another good one followed again by a bad year.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I have seen Saleem Malik bat loads and he was not that good really. Just look at his away average:

Code:
53   84  11  2860 165  155  140   [B][COLOR="Red"]39.17[/COLOR][/B]   5  15   7
Another aspect - he was very inconsistent. A good year followed by a bad one followed by another good one followed again by a bad year.
I don't think Saleem Malik is the best Pakistani batsman ever or anything, but I reckon that 'away' average is a bit misleading in that it's brought down a lot by him being so poor in India. He was fair to good in most other places.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't think Saleem Malik is the best Pakistani batsman ever or anything, but I reckon that 'away' average is a bit misleading in that it's brought down a lot by him being so poor in India. He was fair to good in most other places.
More than made up by his tremendous record in England. He averages 66 in England in 13 tests which constitutes 25% of his away compared to India which is 20%.

If you remove India, average increases to 44 (an increase of 5). If you remove England, average reduces to 32.5 (a decrease of 6.5). In any case he does have an ordinary/poor record in other countries as well.

in Australia 6 10 1 344 77 65* 54 38.22 0 3 1
in New Zealand 10 16 2 479 140 80* 66 34.21 1 2 4
in West Indies 3 5 0 147 66 30 27 29.40 0 1 0
in Zimbabwe 3 5 0 107 44 32 20 21.40 0 0 0

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More than made up by his tremendous record in England. He averages 66 in England in 13 tests which constitutes 25% of his away compared to India which is 20%.

If you remove India, average increases to 44 (an increase of 5). If you remove England, average reduces to 32.5 (a decrease of 6.5). In any case he does have an ordinary/poor record in other countries as well.

in Australia 6 10 1 344 77 65* 54 38.22 0 3 1
in New Zealand 10 16 2 479 140 80* 66 34.21 1 2 4
in West Indies 3 5 0 147 66 30 27 29.40 0 1 0
in Zimbabwe 3 5 0 107 44 32 20 21.40 0 0 0
Yes, and England were crap then, should be counted as runs against Bangladesh and Zim, imho.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Dont really think you can split them as players, both had remarkable and statistically very similar careers and both were the backbone of the Pakistani side for a decade +

But to get down into the nitty-gritty, Javed has that stigma of very generous home umpires during the 80's hanging over him and Inzy dosent and did just as well, so I vote for Inzy.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
But to get down into the nitty-gritty, Javed has that stigma of very generous home umpires during the 80's hanging over him and Inzy dosent and did just as well, so I vote for Inzy.
I thought about the same, but look at the home averages:

Javed Miandad 61
Inzamam 55

Surely, taking home umpires of the 80s into account, they're still about the same, or maybe giving Javed the advantage.

shortpitched713

International Captain
The home umpires thing is way overstated though, imo. I mean, they'd maybe have one o two shockers in a match. Rarely did it effect the outcome of a match, and I doubt it did much to affect most player's average by that much.

Actually the only player I can recall them being particularly generous to was Abdul Qadir. And as far as analyzing him as a player such a factor was made up for by the fact that he couldn't buy an lbw away from home.

Last edited:
People criticize Pakistani umpires of the past as if the umpires in other countries were very honest & most unbiased whereas from 1950s to 1980s,Australia had the most biased umpires,followed by West Indies,Pakistan and India.So,Pakistani batsmen of the past didn't get more benefit from generous home umpring than players of the other countries did.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, and England were crap then, should be counted as runs against Bangladesh and Zim, imho.
Yes, England were so dreadful in 1992 that they almost beat Pakistan weren't they? 8-)

EDIT: yes, I realise there was jest in that post I should add, but we all know there was seriousness to some degree as well.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People criticize Pakistani umpires of the past as if the umpires in other countries very very honest & most unbiased whereas from 1950s to 1980s,Australia had the most biased umpires,followed by West Indies,Pakistan and India.So,Pakistani batsmen of the past didn't get more benefit from generous home umpring than players of the other countries did.
I don't know if you can say one set of Umpires were the most biased TBH but I agree completely that both a) people massively overstate the influence biased home Umpires had in Pakistan most of the time and b) biased home Umpires are certainly not something confined to Pakistan.

Mostly, in fact, I honestly believe that people didn't kick-up such a fuss at bad hometown decisions in countries other than Pakistan (and sometimes India) because of the (and yes, it was racist if you really want to think about it) "it's only the subcontinental guys that cheat" attitudes.

Athlai

Not Terrible
People criticize Pakistani umpires of the past as if the umpires in other countries very very honest & most unbiased whereas from 1950s to 1980s,Australia had the most biased umpires,followed by West Indies,Pakistan and India.So,Pakistani batsmen of the past didn't get more benefit from generous home umpring than players of the other countries did.
New Zealand on the other hand had umpires who were on the greater part devout monks.

I don't know if you can say one set of Umpires were the most biased TBH but I agree completely that both a) people massively overstate the influence biased home Umpires had in Pakistan most of the time and b) biased home Umpires are certainly not something confined to Pakistan.

Mostly, in fact, I honestly believe that people didn't kick-up such a fuss at bad hometown decisions in countries other than Pakistan (and sometimes India) because of the (and yes, it was racist if you really want to think about it) "it's only the subcontinental guys that cheat" attitudes.
Gold post,totally agreed.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Both are statistically close. Inzamam had the Ws to support, Javed had 'Shakoor' to support him and other batsmen.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Saleem Malik >any Pakistani batsman but no one resects him & consider him worthy of being mentioned because he was a match fixer.Yes,he deserves to be hated but you can't change the fac that he's the best Pakistani batsman ever.
:-O

I watched Malik a lot and he was a good player but he wasnt that special.

Anyway, my answer to this previously still stands. It was that I would rather have Inzi in my team than Miandad but that given the choice Id rather have Inzi on the oppositions side than them having Miandad.