Cricket Betting Site Betway

Thread: Player burnout

Player burnout

The blight of cricket.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slven...ry/315090.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Morris, Director of English cricket
    Resting players is on the table, for sure," he said. "I want to discuss it with the management team and the players. There is a serious amount of international cricket being played and we need to ensure that our best players are fit and raring to go. But we have to balance the need to play the right amount of cricket with commercial considerations."
    What an idiot. Nothing can express how angry I am at him saying that.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    The blight of cricket.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slven...ry/315090.html

What an idiot. Nothing can express how angry I am at him saying that.
    Look, cricketers need to get paid. Coaches need to get paid. Grounds need to be kept up-to-date. And that huge money sucking black hole called First Class cricket has to be financed somehow.

He has simply spoken the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Those of us who love the game don't insist on there being a Test or OD series being played every week of the year, or to have three series running simultaneously as we have at the moment. In fact with 10 teams it should be possible to give everyone plenty more time off than they get now. I have no problem with international cricketers playing less - and being paid less of course.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    The thing is, though, are they going to accept pay-cuts as part-and-parcel of the lightened load? Or are they going to complain that they have to have the pay and the lightened load?

I don't think that many people really dispute that there's too much international cricket, and that there has been for at least 2 decades. A bit like global warming, though, when the economy has to be nursed, it's easier said than done doing something about it.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I'm never quite sure how England players are paid tbh. Do they just get match fees, tour fees and money from sponsorship deals? Or are they paid a salary by the ECB as well, as a result of central contracts? If it's just match fees, well then there's no problem: less cricket = less money.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Central contracts are a fixed yearly (or summerly, depending on what type of contract the player has) fee, IIRR there are win-bonuses (I think the team sponsor, Vodafone, provide this), and obviously there's personal endorsement deals which are the biggest earner for any cricketer with a decent one by far.

There are many other ways for cricketers to make money of course, and the smart ones who are that way inclined (Darren Gough being a recent example of renown) wring every last drop from these.

But as I understand it less international cricket would basically have to mean central contract fees would be proportionally decreased. And presumably, as a player played less those with endorsement deals would be less happy to pay such large fees.

Thread Information