• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player burnout

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
The blight of cricket.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slveng/content/current/story/315090.html

Hugh Morris said:
Resting players is on the table, for sure," he said. "I want to discuss it with the management team and the players. There is a serious amount of international cricket being played and we need to ensure that our best players are fit and raring to go. But we have to balance the need to play the right amount of cricket with commercial considerations."
What an idiot. Nothing can express how angry I am at him saying that.

stumpski

International Captain
Those of us who love the game don't insist on there being a Test or OD series being played every week of the year, or to have three series running simultaneously as we have at the moment. In fact with 10 teams it should be possible to give everyone plenty more time off than they get now. I have no problem with international cricketers playing less - and being paid less of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The thing is, though, are they going to accept pay-cuts as part-and-parcel of the lightened load? Or are they going to complain that they have to have the pay and the lightened load?

I don't think that many people really dispute that there's too much international cricket, and that there has been for at least 2 decades. A bit like global warming, though, when the economy has to be nursed, it's easier said than done doing something about it.

stumpski

International Captain
I'm never quite sure how England players are paid tbh. Do they just get match fees, tour fees and money from sponsorship deals? Or are they paid a salary by the ECB as well, as a result of central contracts? If it's just match fees, well then there's no problem: less cricket = less money.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Central contracts are a fixed yearly (or summerly, depending on what type of contract the player has) fee, IIRR there are win-bonuses (I think the team sponsor, Vodafone, provide this), and obviously there's personal endorsement deals which are the biggest earner for any cricketer with a decent one by far.

There are many other ways for cricketers to make money of course, and the smart ones who are that way inclined (Darren Gough being a recent example of renown) wring every last drop from these.

But as I understand it less international cricket would basically have to mean central contract fees would be proportionally decreased. And presumably, as a player played less those with endorsement deals would be less happy to pay such large fees.