• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akhtar handed 13 match ban

Was the Shoaib Akhtar's punishment...

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it's more harsh (ie, better) than I'd hoped for (though we wait for the appeal where it's reduced to 5) but for this and just generally being a disruptive influence on Pakistan for far, far too long I'd be happy to see Shoaib banned for life, and Afridi with him.

Hopefully they'll be so much better with those 2 gone, even though I doubt they'll ever achieve true solomnety.
Edit: poll added.
How do you do that? :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
God Bless Sir Beefy:
Beefy said:
I was playing for Durham, against the Aussies, and David Boon faced my last-ever ball. He just about fell over laughing and shouted, 'Beefy, you can't do this to me.' I was midway though my run-up and he'd spotted that I'd unzipped my fly and hauled out the meat and two veg. The old man was dangling in the wind as I steamed in. If I'd got it on target I would've bowled him. I thought it was a nice way to go out.
&%$£ me... I cannot believe he did that. :blink:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Harsh, esp when you consider that other two got away without even a warning. I have long maintained that Asif and Afridi are no innocent cute little guys they acted in this case.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, I want someone to do that in their last Test match. Maybe Inzy tomorrow. :laugh:
Heh - running into bowl? More of a casual stroll I'd imagine or a brisk walk.

Mind you - from what I hear from a certain South African commentator he resembles an old Pakistan captain.

"..like a rogue elephant..."

haroon510

International 12th Man
what the **** man... i can't belive he is getting away with it easily again.. a life ban would justify that.. 13 matches ban while he has already miss most of them.. it is unfair..

13 match ban would be good enough to teach any player a lesson,if its not reduced to 5 matches after an appeal.

Last edited:

haroon510

International 12th Man
Well it's more harsh (ie, better) than I'd hoped for (though we wait for the appeal where it's reduced to 5) but for this and just generally being a disruptive influence on Pakistan for far, far too long I'd be happy to see Shoaib banned for life, and Afridi with him.

Hopefully they'll be so much better with those 2 gone, even though I doubt they'll ever achieve true solomnety.

How do you do that? :huh:
what did afridi do to get life ban?? oh right performing well and geting pakistani team to 20/20 world cup final... if u make that an excuase and ban him for life then u do it richard in ur own power.. certainly pakistani cricket board doesn't have the power or reason to do it..

i found this pretty funny when i was reading this

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/315021.html

shoaib wants to tour india and Shoaib was also optimistic about his career ahead. "If I play another 80-odd ODIs in the next four years I can end with 400 wickets. That's my goal. The same with Tests - if I play another 35-40 Tests I could get 300-plus wickets.

well first we need to see if he can play another fifty odi matches without geting in trouble and injuries.. i highly doubut it then we can talk about him taking 400 wickets..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fully expect the PCB to announce there's been a dereliction of their duty in educating their players not to strike team-mates with bats & summarily overturn the ban.

what did afridi do to get life ban?? oh right performing well and geting pakistani team to 20/20 world cup final... if u make that an excuase and ban him for life then u do it richard in ur own power.. certainly pakistani cricket board doesn't have the power or reason to do it..

i found this pretty funny when i was reading this

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/315021.html

shoaib wants to tour india and Shoaib was also optimistic about his career ahead. "If I play another 80-odd ODIs in the next four years I can end with 400 wickets. That's my goal. The same with Tests - if I play another 35-40 Tests I could get 300-plus wickets.

well first we need to see if he can play another fifty odi matches without geting in trouble and injuries.. i highly doubut it then we can talk about him taking 400 wickets..
No player has ever harmed the team like Afridi has done since his debut.Afridi is just a bits & pieces allrounder & personally I neither have any respect for them nor do I want any such player to play for any major Test playing nation of the world.Moreover,he's no less than Akhtar when it comes to disobserving discipline,overates himself & considers himself the most important member of the team whch he has never been & never would be in this life.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it odd ifnot just plain nonsensical that the PCB should hand out a ban and then backdate so that effectively all Shoaib misses is a place in the immediate next series, the OD series against S.A which he wasn't very likely to play in anyway

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shahid Afridi, with his next-to-nothing ability and his own inflated opinion of that next-to-nothing ability, has done more harm to Pakistan cricket than perhaps any player other than Shoaib Akhtar.

EDIT: BhupinderSingh has probably said that better than me.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Shahid Afridi, with his next-to-nothing ability and his own inflated opinion of that next-to-nothing ability, has done more harm to Pakistan cricket than perhaps any player other than Shoaib Akhtar.
So what harm has Shoaib done to Pakistan Cricket ? And how is that bigger than the harm done to Pakistan Cricket by players like Sarfira Nawaz, Salim Malik etc ?

Fusion

Global Moderator
So what harm has Shoaib done to Pakistan Cricket ? And how is that bigger than the harm done to Pakistan Cricket by players like Sarfira Nawaz, Salim Malik etc ?
I don't think there's any need to compare Shoaib to other players. Each player should be evaluated. It doesn't matter if Sarfaraz Nawaz (or any other player) got away with murder. It shouldn't happen again. Somehow, the culture needs to change. If making an example out of Shoaib achieves that, then so be it. Shoaib is a continued distraction to the team. He's undisciplined and has demonstrated that he doesn't learn from his mistakes. This soft ban that he received, which is conveniently back-dated, is not going to teach him anything either. So the lesson to him (and other aspiring youngsters) is: if you have talent, you can misbehave repeatedly and get away with it.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Haha, missed that the first time I read it. Anyway, inflated egos are a huge part of Pakistani cricket and it always has been. I fail to see how eith of Shoaib and Afridi have hurt Pakistani cricket so damn much that they must be banned for the good of the sport.

Anyway, the ban seems about right to me, though probably should've been longer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Malik considered a fine upstanding person until it was found he was a match-fixer? I'm unaware of any disruption he caused during his career.

Likewise, I've only ever heard stuff about Sarfraz as being a stupid conspiracy-theorist after his career. Never heard any accusations of poor behaviour during his time in the side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, missed that the first time I read it. Anyway, inflated egos are a huge part of Pakistani cricket and it always has been. I fail to see how eith of Shoaib and Afridi have hurt Pakistani cricket so damn much that they must be banned for the good of the sport.
Admittedly I wasn't around in the days of the Javeds et al, but I've lost count of the times there've been disruptions caused by the utter stupidity of those two - especially given that without them the team of recent years would mostly have been pretty docile.

And I have heard, many times, of the problems people like the Wasims, Waqars etc. were involved in, all of which seem pretty minor compared to Shoaib and Afridi.