• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket trade week

Matt79

Global Moderator
In Australian football this week its 'Trade Week', the one week of the year clubs are allowed to trade players and picks in next years player's draft amongst themselves.

If such a week was possible in international cricket, what kind of deals would you like your country to make. Remember, the management of both teams have to agree for a trade to take place, so any suggested deals have to have at least perceived equal value to both sides.

To start off, I'd want to address the one glaring weakness in Australia's roster - a young-ish Test quality spinner. Options that are available would include Kaneria from Pakistan or Paneser from England. I'd offer England their choice of Chris Rogers or Brad Hodge for Panesar.

irfan

State Captain
Ideal trade deals:
Pakistan: Jaffer + Gambhir for Asif
England: Karthik (Dinesh) for Jimmy Anderson/Chris Tremlett
Australia: Laxman for Johnson, M

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I would give
- Ganguly for Bond to NZLand and
- Kumble for Stuart Clark to Australia.

To add weight to the offer I would give Ravi Shastri and Gavaskar for free as incentive :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd ask for Asif and Clark. The Pakistanis and Australians can have any and all players they want in exchange.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In any case (specific trades):
Rahul Dravid for Stuart Clark.
Rahul Dravid, Sreesanth, Munaf Patel, Irfan Pathan for Mohammad Asif.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
No doubt - which might be worth an extra player. Wouldn't have thought it was worth an extra 3.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ideal trade deals:
Australia: Laxman for Johnson, M
No deal on that one for mine. We don't need Laxman in our middle order, whereas I think Johnson will be in our best pace attack from the end of this coming summer and will stay there for several years to come.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, Your best bat and whole seam attack for an unproven, injury prone player that has played only 10 Tests in nearly 3 years :blink:
And who doesn't seem to be causing the SA batsmen anywhere near as many problems as Clark did.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
No deal on that one for mine. We don't need Laxman in our middle order, whereas I think Johnson will be in our best pace attack from the end of this coming summer and will stay there for several years to come.
We don't need him, but if we had him then at least he couldn't play against us...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In Australian football this week its 'Trade Week', the one week of the year clubs are allowed to trade players and picks in next years player's draft amongst themselves.

If such a week was possible in international cricket, what kind of deals would you like your country to make. Remember, the management of both teams have to agree for a trade to take place, so any suggested deals have to have at least perceived equal value to both sides.

To start off, I'd want to address the one glaring weakness in Australia's roster - a young-ish Test quality spinner. Options that are available would include Kaneria from Pakistan or Paneser from England. I'd offer England their choice of Chris Rogers or Brad Hodge for Panesar.
I don't think they'd take that deal, TBH. There aren't a plethora of English spinners crying out for selection but they have a few unproven yet talented batting prospects. Australia would have better luck trading Rogers for Murali Karthik really (and, just quietly, I think he's as good a bowler as Panesar anyway).

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And who doesn't seem to be causing the SA batsmen anywhere near as many problems as Clark did.
Actually, Asif troubled South Africa quite a bit in South Africa, which is where Clark had his success. I think Clark would be cannon fodder in Pakistani conditions. It'll certainly be interesting to see how he goes when he tours there.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Saj for Pollock (they may seriously go for it)

Flintoff and Bell for Lee, Katich, Jaques

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't think they'd take that deal, TBH. There aren't a plethora of English spinners crying out for selection but they have a few unproven yet talented batting prospects. Australia would have better luck trading Rogers for Murali Karthick really (and, just quietly, I think he's as good a bowler as Panesar anyway).
I know a few Englishmen who'd trade their entire collection of finger-spinners for Brett Dorey, but yeah, I take your point. Karthik was impressive the other night.