• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will 'Roy' and Yuvraj crack the top level?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good article, but from what I have seen of them both at the Test level, I don't see it. I could of course be proven wrong, as Yuvraj is most likely going to get his chance pretty soon. As for Symonds, I don't think he can be a particularly good all rounder at the test level, and neither his batting or bowling is enough to get him a place. Personally, as you mention, he is in conflict with Watson, who is a much better prospect. I would rather they pick up another full time batsman like Jaques or someone like that instead of trying for an all rounder.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Symonds will play Tests for Australia this summer. He'll probably make one good score that will excite people, and chime in with a two-fer in an afternoon as well, but otherwise be pretty poor.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On Symonds: well, I should make my presence felt on the issue at leasty. I won't say anything else though - been there, done that too many times.

Yuvraj intrigues me, however. He's improved a lot as a batsman over the last year or two IMO and it wouldn't shock me if he turned out to be a decent test player. That doesn't mean I think he should be in the side now though, as I don't - there are better players ahead of him. Given Laxman seems to be on the decline somewhat, he may get his chance soon though, and I think he could go either way as a test batsman.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yuvraj intrigues me, however. He's improved a lot as a batsman over the last year or two IMO and it wouldn't shock me if he turned out to be a decent test player. That doesn't mean I think he should be in the side now though, as I don't - there are better players ahead of him. Given Laxman seems to be on the decline somewhat, he may get his chance soon though, and I think he could go either way as a test batsman.
If its a good wicket with the ball coming on with little sideways movement, Yuvraj should be okay. Otherwise it is very dicey.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yuvraj will average 50 plus in Test Cricket, a class batsmen and with next to no pitches in Test Cricket offering much sideways movement his small issue will never been seen in this day and age of highways for wickets.

bond21

Banned
Of course Symonds will.

The selectors are keen to get an all rounder in the team, Symonds is the best all rounder we have.

Watson is a joke basically. Sure he may be a slightly better bowler but Symonds is so much better with the bat its not funny.

Symonds is also much better in the field and hes also not a complete liability for the side.

bond21

Banned
Symonds could average 5 and I would still rate him higher than Watson.

Shield and International cricket are different things.

Sure Watson is a good shield player, but he cant step up to international, maybe thats being a bit unfair, he can step up to at least make it onto the team sheet but I would like to see him walk off the ground instead of being carried off.

abcdef

Cricket Spectator
I think Symonds will finally crack the test level. He finally began to show signs of doing that against England and even in ODI cricket, he is much more 'play to the situation' player these days rather than the gung-ho attitude we saw of him in the past. He does not throw his wicket away easily these days.

I think he is the perfect number 6 for Australia. You need a a player like him in that position, someone who can come in and take the match aways e.g. the 156 in Melbourne. Watson's batting will never cut it at test level from what I have seen of him (even if his FC average is very good). Symonds' first class record is over a much longer period.

He bats with a very awkward stance which sets him up for playing everything inside out. This is one of the reasons why looks so ugly when playing anything on the onside.

Lets hope Symonds improves his bowling a little though. I think Ponting, the captain, is a huge fan of Symo too, whcih helps his cause.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know who #1 was, it was FILOCRICKET, and this was one of the most extreme cases in CW history. Those with really long memories could probably do some sort of comparison to the Shawn Badyk incident (don't worry - if you don't know about it it's best it stays that way).

I mean, this bond21 doesn't seem anything worse than your routine "troll" to me TBH, even though saying Symonds > Watson rates as pretty much the lowest of the low on the Cribb scale.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I know who #1 was, it was FILOCRICKET, and this was one of the most extreme cases in CW history. Those with really long memories could probably do some sort of comparison to the Shawn Badyk incident (don't worry - if you don't know about it it's best it stays that way).

I mean, this bond21 doesn't seem anything worse than your routine "troll" to me TBH, even though saying Symonds > Watson rates as pretty much the lowest of the low on the Cribb scale.
Wasn't suggesting that TBH, Thought #1 would be a cool nickname for you and I was merely reflecting that people can't read smilies very well. Jeez Richard.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

There are trolls, and then there are trolls who push my buttons. I can usually spot a troll and hence either not reply to them or at least not take them seriously. However, people believing what he does actually angers me so I'd be tempted to reply to all his posts - which wouldn't be good for anyone.

Last edited: