• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

European Union Test Team

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In the past week or so Ive mentioned the European Union as a Test Team. Players would come from Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands, Denmark etc. Basically the whole of the EU apart from England and Wales which do their own thing in cricketing terms.

They already play the Inter-continental Cup, which could easily translate into a domestic European FC competition.

As mentioned in another thread, this has far more 'national' merit than a West Indies team as the EU is a sovereign political unit.

I have 3 questions-

1) Do you think it is a reasonable idea to give the EU Test status and help grow the game?
2) What would your EU Test XI look like?
3) Help make a list of all European players that have FC experience outside the Inter-continental Cup in order to build an experienced foundation

My EU XI
1 Porterfield (Ire) (Gloucs)
2 Klokker (Den) (Derby, Warwicks)
3 Zuiderant (Neth) (Sussex)
4 Ed Joyce (Ire/Eng) (Mid)
5 ten Doeschate (Neth) (Essex, WP)
6 Morgan (Ire) (Mid)
7 N. O' Brien (Ire) (Kent, North) wkt
8 A. White (Ire) (North)
9 Blain (Scot) (Yorks)
10 Amjad Khan (Den) (Kent)
11 Thomas Hansen (Den) (Hamps)

Denmark with more players in than Scot and Netherlands

Unlucky to missout but have played for a FC county or team in one format or another outside I-C Cup
Brown (Scot) (Warwicks, Eng)
Johnson (Ire) (NSW)
Poonia (Scot) (Warwicks)
Kervezee (Neth) (Worcs)
Rankin (Ire) (Derby)
Hamilton (Scot) (Yorks, Durham, Eng)
Botha (Ire) (Griqua)
McCoubrey (Ire) (Essex)
Bray (Ire) (NSW)
Nel (Scot) (Worcs)
Ollie Rayner (Ger) (Sussex)

Id like to get a list of all current European qualified players that have played for a FC team apart from their nation.

More added

Coetzer (Sco) (WP, Dur)
Patterson (Ire) (Sussex)
Poynter (Ire) (Mid)
Molins (Ire) (OxU)
Johan Malcolm (Den) (LUCCE)

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Are you only taking into consideration players who've played FC cricket in a Test nation?

Would have Coetzer at the top of the order anyway. Impressed me every time I've seen him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Are you only taking into consideration players who've played FC cricket in a Test nation?
Nah, anyone is available. A big group of players that have played FC in a Test nation shows a decent talent pool though

Obviously the I-C Cup gives FC experience but it is interesting to see those that get the opportunity or have the ability to play outside that comp.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Meant Kyle Coetzer of Durham itbt.

As of May 2007, ex-Lancashire seamer Joe Scuderi was still captain-coach of Italy, btw. Dire, but FC experience.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Meant Kyle Coetzer of Durham itbt.

As of May 2007, ex-Lancashire seamer Joe Scuderi was still captain-coach of Italy, btw. Dire, but FC experience.
:laugh: I had no idea Joe Scuderi was still playing. Remember him breaking through as the "next big thing" in Australian cricket in the late 80s/early 90s with Qld and SA practically falling over themselves to sign him up, but he never became the player it was hoped he would.

Chubb

International Regular
It's a good idea. I'd put Kervezee in for Zuiderant for the simple reason that Zuiderant is not the strongest batsman (though still very strong for the Netherlands) and is 30+ whereas Kervezee is young and may be able to crack pro cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would have said it in the other thread but thought it'd be better here; had honestly never really thought about the idea before, but it's a fine one. I've always preferred Ireland being part of the British Isles, but it's fairly plain that none of the EU countries except Holland have any immediate prospects of doing anything much. Were they to club together, that might just change.

Question: where does K Goughy think he himself might rank amongst said EU cricketers, Irish excluded? As there'd obviously be plenty of scope for lesser English players to qualify for such a team.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I've always preferred Ireland being part of the British Isles
Luckily for you, until a vertical crack appears down the longitude 4° 29′ 0″ W, Ireland isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately for you, the context you use "the British Isles" in - your argument about the British Isles being one cricketing entity - is utter bollocks. If it was one entity, it would be called so. The cream of the celtic nations were tied to England for lack of a better option the same way Zimbabwe was tied to South Africa.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wouldn't be called so, though - because it's not. The bean-counters in 1903, sadly, weren't humble enough.

Had people in more modern times been more progressively-minded, the nonsensical situation we have today where I$C$C can pretend they're expanding cricket by giving Ireland and Scotland ODI status would not have had the chance to happen.

The days of countries being tied together by imperial military force are gone. That doesn't mean England and Ireland can't work together.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
It wouldn't be called so, though - because it's not. The bean-counters in 1903, sadly, weren't humble enough.
No, it's because there weren't any Irish or Scots good enough to play Test cricket. There's been a grand total of 10 Irish/Scots to play Test cricket. If that's the output of Test quality players in 130 years, the odd one that's come along might aswell be lumped with England.

There's been more South Africans to play for England than Scots or Irish. Does this make the England team a commonwealth entity?

the nonsensical situation we have today where I$C$C can pretend they're expanding cricket by giving Ireland and Scotland ODI status
They are expanding cricket. Cricket would never establish itself in those countries if they didn't have national sides. Do you seriously think any self respecting Irish kids would grow up thinking "when I grow up, I want to play for England"?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Knowing the few Irish lads I do, I doubt they'd be bigoted enough to revolt the idea.

Mostly, English-Irish hate is a thing of the past. There's no reason the two can't work together on cricket.

Swervy

International Captain
Knowing the few Irish lads I do, I doubt they'd be bigoted enough to revolt the idea.

Mostly, English-Irish hate is a thing of the past. There's no reason the two can't work together on cricket.
interesting theory!!!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
tbh I'd struggle to be picked amongst that lot. Thanks for the mention though.

Beyond that, is this really such a great idea? For mine, it would only be worthwhile if the occasionally mooted second tier of test cricket was established. Otherwise, we're just looking at another second rate side clogging up the test calendar.