• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Test Nation???

Ur Next Test Playing Nation? Teams According to Present ICC Ranking...

• Ireland

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Kenya

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Scotland

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Netherlands/Holland

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Canada

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Bermuda

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • United Arab Emirates

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Namibia

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Denmark

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Oman

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would be interested to see that - I think it's a promising idea. First though, you'd have to get the ICC to consider it Test status despite it not being between two national teams...(though they seem to pick and choose when they apply that ruling - yes Australia v ICC 2005, I'm looking at you).

And then someone would have to break the news to poor old Bill Frindall, who would then have another set of "Test" statistics that he'd refuse to acknowledge...
Well they have accepted the WI for long enough despite it being nothing more than places close to each other.

The EU is an actual political unit with sovereignty over all the member nations.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
you'd have to get the ICC to consider it Test status despite it not being between two national teams...(though they seem to pick and choose when they apply that ruling - yes Australia v ICC 2005, I'm looking at you).
Well, there's the West Indies. It wouldn't be dis-similar to that, really. They would have to form their own domestic first class competition though as I believe that is a requirement. That could have financial problems.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well, there's the West Indies. It wouldn't be dis-similar to that, really. They would have to form their own domestic first class competition though as I believe that is a requirement. That could have financial problems.
Lower travel costs IMO, its the EU.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, they play FC Inter-Continental Cup games and Denmark has participated in English Domestic seasons.

They are already 3/4 of the way there if not there already

steds

Hall of Fame Member
As far as Im concerned the closest to Test cricket outside the current group requires thinking outside the norm.

As I see it there are 3 possibilities

1) Jamaica
2) Wales (my perenial fight)
3) European Union
Considering the West Indies are struggling enough to hold their own as it is, I doubt splitting it up is much of an option.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The EU thing is quite a good idea, for mine. Has it ever been mentioned outside this forum?
Im sure it must have been but I havent seen it.

Im sure most will know the political situation of the EU, but for those that dont know the European Parliament is above the all the governments of the member countries and has the power to call individual governments into line. As such an EU team isnt a problem as it is a sovereign unit.

Also an EU cricket team would be the darling on the European supporters as it would be the political unit represented as a single entity in International competetion. It would generate sponsorship, interest, press and revenue as well as being the 3rd thing that tied European culture together along with the Eurovision Song Contest and UEFA Champions League

Athlai

Not Terrible
Also an EU cricket team would be the darling on the European supporters as it would be the political unit represented as a single entity in International competetion. It would generate sponsorship, interest, press and revenue as well as being the 3rd thing that tied European culture together along with the Eurovision Song Contest and UEFA Champions League
Ahem...

Could potentially make tests 'cool' again. (Besides Ind-Pak/Ashes matches anyway)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they have accepted the WI for long enough despite it being nothing more than places close to each other.

The EU is an actual political unit with sovereignty over all the member nations.
Yeah, good call. As I say, I really like the idea - the best players from Ireland, Netherlands, Denmark etc could be quite competitive given patience and opportunity.

And if it happened while I lived in the UK I could go on a lot more cricket tours... :)

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well as Zim's test status was revoked I would guess that they would fall into the category of these other teams.
Zim are still a test nation they just haven't played enough tests in the last few years to be ranked on the championships

stumpski

International Captain
Looking at the number of votes cast for Oman, Denmark and Bermuda, I wonder if everyone has been taking this seriously ...:unsure:

Afghanistan = good call, likewise Nepal. Would like to see both playing regular friendlies against the 'A' teams of neighbouring countries..