• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Test Nation???

Ur Next Test Playing Nation? Teams According to Present ICC Ranking...

• Ireland

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Kenya

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Scotland

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Netherlands/Holland

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Canada

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Bermuda

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • United Arab Emirates

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Namibia

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Denmark

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Oman

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters

VFE

Cricket Spectator
Is there a need to destroy Test cricket then?

There can be no other reason for Test expansion.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
So disappointing :(

The game felt lost when none of the top four went on with their starts. Credit to Afghanistan though. Just wondering - are most of the players Afghan nationals, or from over the border? And why are they still an Affiliate nation?

The only real good thing to come out of that game was that Andre's bowling again, but surely there's major question marks over O'Brien and Mooney. Kevin hasn't made a run for a while and his bowling returns have been horrendous. John, who i'm guessing was originally picked as a frontline bowler, only bowled 4 over out of 150+?

I can see these Afghani blokes winning another bit of silverware pretty soon.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kevin is definitely a concern, but I *think* it's just a prolonged period of poor form. He's a good player.

Uppercut

It's really difficult to say. Something like:

Porterfield (c)
Stirling
Joyce
Morgan
Niall O'Brien (wk)
Kevin O'Brien
Botha
Johnston
West
Rankin
Connell

West vs. McCallan is a bit contentious. People take McCallan much more seriously but West, despite being a bit of a joke, has been outbowling him a lot lately. On the other hand, McCallan can bat a little. Peter Connell might also miss out for Alex Cusack, it depends. Connell's definitely the better bowler but those inside the camp haven't been happy with his attitude at times and Cusack's an all-rounder (which isn't especially important with the team I've named but might be in another balance). The five back-ups would be:

McCallan (spinner)
Wilson (wicket keeper)
Cusack (medium-fast bowling all-rounder)
Mooney (batsman)
White (off-spinning all-rounder)

The amount of strength in that batting lineup is absolutely absurd, completely unprecedented amongst Associate sides, especially if they choose to bat deep (and Ireland generally do). The bowling's a bit thin.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
K O'Brien is more suited to the shorter game for me. I've never rated his bowling, but he can be an explosive hitter.

Not really a surprising result on those pitches. I'm for giving the younger guys a go over a McCallan these days, though I do rate him, he and Trent Johnston can't go on forever.

edit: Is Morgan even available?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Porterfield (c)
Stirling
Joyce
Morgan
Niall O'Brien (wk)
Kevin O'Brien
Botha
Johnston
West
Rankin
Connell
I guess the real question is how many of these players could conceivably be good enough to play for England one day?

Not Andre Botha that's fo' sho'.

Uppercut

That's not the real question at all.

But I'll answer it anyway. Niall O'Brien's a better LO keeper than they have at the moment. Rankin is the other obvious candidate and I don't think he'll ever find the fitness to push a claim. Paul Stirling at a very long shot- bucketloads of potential but so do a lot of 19 year olds.

By the way, I'm displeased with your hating on Andre O'Botha. Tell me the last English bowler to take 8-4-5-2 in an ODI against a test side. If you've ever recorded figures that make an Omaha hand you're generally doing something right.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's not the real question at all.
I know, I was just drunkenly messin'. :p
By the way, I'm displeased with your hating on Andre O'Botha. Tell me the last English bowler to take 8-4-5-2 in an ODI against a test side. If you've ever recorded figures that make an Omaha hand you're generally doing something right.
Yeah I certainly wasn't "hating" on him - rather I'm just baffled that he can bowl that well on that occasion (as you say virtually no bowlers in modern times have bowled that many overs for that few runs) and only relatively rarely even come close to it again. Was more a reference to the fact he's obviously rather too old to be "switching" allegiances yet again.

Uppercut

Speaking of which, I wonder how many other bowlers have recorded an Omaha hand in a test or ODI. You need between 2 and 10 overs, maidens, runs conceded and wickets. The great George Lohmann managed 9-5-7-8 in one innings but I can't find anyone else. Michael Clarke's 6/9 didn't contain enough maidens.

I really need to get out more.

AaronK

State Regular
Where is afghanistan.. Didn't they just beat ireland and toped the table with most points?

well i would have voted for afghanistan but since no afghanistan..ireland..

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of which, I wonder how many other bowlers have recorded an Omaha hand in a test or ODI. You need between 2 and 10 overs, maidens, runs conceded and wickets. The great George Lohmann managed 9-5-7-8 in one innings but I can't find anyone else. Michael Clarke's 6/9 didn't contain enough maidens.

I really need to get out more.
Murali

vs WI, @ Nairobi, 2000 10-4-9-0

vs NZ, @ Sharjah, 2002 10-3-9-5

Then Phil Simmons had best of them, 10-8-3-4 against Pakistan

Uppercut

Murali

vs WI, @ Nairobi, 2000 10-4-9-0

vs NZ, @ Sharjah, 2002 10-3-9-5

Then Phil Simmons had best of them, 10-8-3-4 against Pakistan
There is no 0 in a deck of cards :p.

Couple of good finds though. It's absolutely insane that New Zealand managed to win that Sharjah test.

Last edited:

morgieb

Porterfield (c)
Stirling
Joyce
Morgan
Niall O'Brien (wk)
Kevin O'Brien
Botha
Johnston
West
Rankin
Connell

West vs. McCallan is a bit contentious. People take McCallan much more seriously but West, despite being a bit of a joke, has been outbowling him a lot lately. On the other hand, McCallan can bat a little. Peter Connell might also miss out for Alex Cusack, it depends. Connell's definitely the better bowler but those inside the camp haven't been happy with his attitude at times and Cusack's an all-rounder (which isn't especially important with the team I've named but might be in another balance). The five back-ups would be:

McCallan (spinner)
Wilson (wicket keeper)
Cusack (medium-fast bowling all-rounder)
Mooney (batsman)
White (off-spinning all-rounder)

The amount of strength in that batting lineup is absolutely absurd, completely unprecedented amongst Associate sides, especially if they choose to bat deep (and Ireland generally do). The bowling's a bit thin.
Didn't McCallan retire?