• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the best West Indian Test opener in West Indian Test history?

Best West Indian Test opener?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Taking the cue from BhupinderSingh...

Can't look past Conrad Hunte IMO, though the best innings (and IMO probably the best innings ever by a West Indian of any batting position) was played by Fredericks here.

Gordon Greenidge a damn close 2nd.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Greenidge and dodgy knee and all that. Top quality player

He overshadowed Haynes, though he himself was overshadowed by Barry Richards at Hampshire

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, how has Campbell made that list & Gayle hasn't.

BTW, Cutbert Gordon Greenidge, one of the many players from the past based on what i've seen on video that i wish could have been part of the current generation.

archie mac

International Coach
Ha, how has Campbell made that list & Gayle hasn't.

BTW, Cutbert Gordon Greenidge, one of the many players from the past based on what i've seen on video that i wish could have been part of the current generation.
Still hit the cut shot harder then any other player I have ever watched:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Richard. You and I may end up as the only people who voted Hunte :)

R_D

International Debutant
Taking the cue from BhupinderSingh...

Can't look past Conrad Hunte IMO, though the best innings (and IMO probably the best innings ever by a West Indian of any batting position) was played by Fredericks here.

Gordon Greenidge a damn close 2nd.
hahaha awesome innings by Dredrick there... 169 of 0 balls :p
There were few others who managed the same feat.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Hunte for sure, cant forget some of those brilliant innings he played against the aussie all time XI :p

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Went for Greenidge, just ahead of Conrad Hunte. Fredericks and Haynes fighting it out for third spot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
hahaha awesome innings by Dredrick there... 169 of 0 balls :p
There were few others who managed the same feat.
Ian Chappell came close though, 156 from 0.
Yeah, think there's a bug or two in Stats Spider there... IIRR Fredericks' innings was at either just over or just under a-run-a-ball, which is a phenominal effort.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Greenidge and dodgy knee and all that. Top quality player

He overshadowed Haynes, though he himself was overshadowed by Barry Richards at Hampshire
True, but he was very young at the time. Probably a good job as far as the other counties' attacks were concerned. Has there ever been a more destructive opening pair in the CC?