• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly is right!

deira

Banned
Age no criterion for selection: GangulyAds By Google

Even as Chief Selector Dilip Vengsarkar laid down the law that seniors in the Indian cricket team had to perform or perish, Sourav Ganguly on Saturday countered that age should not be a criterion for selection and the Big Three still had a lot of fire left in them.

"Performance and not seniority or juniority should count," the former captain said amidst calls that he, along with Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid should make way for younger players in the one-day team.

Ganguly said that the experienced trio were among the top four run-getters against England, the last time India played an ODI series.

"People who question Sachin Tendulkar's form are mad," Ganguly said in an interview to IBN-7.

He also pointed out that too much was made of players' age in India and public opinion was very fickle.

"It's typical of India to be excited and get lost in hype."

But the three veterans were tough enough to overcome the latest challenge as well, India's most successful Test captain said.

"Had they not been mentally and physically tough, they would not have survived the rigours of international cricket over a decade successfully."

Taking an indirect dig at former India coach Greg Chappell who claimed the credit for Ganguly's return to the team during the series in South Africa, the Bengal left-hander said his ouster had nothing to do with cricketing reasons and no one else believed that he could make a comeback.

"It (his omission) was driven by some personal agenda," he said.

Ganguly is impressed with the leadership skills of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and said the Jharkhand player had the right temperament for the job.

"Captain should be more like a friend to his team members and Dhoni does indeed epitomises that spirit," he said.

But Ganguly said it was too early to make judgements based on the Twenty20 World Cup triumph as "50-over cricket and 20-20 cricket are as different as Test cricket is from ODI cricket."

deira

Banned
stupid indian selectors keep messing with the team. These three are still india's top players, if you kick them out the whole team will go down with them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well first of all, performance should be the only criteria. And Dravid has been the one not performing lately - and it would be madness to leave him out. The other two are doing well at the moment.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Age no criterion for selection: GangulyAds By Google

Even as Chief Selector Dilip Vengsarkar laid down the law that seniors in the Indian cricket team had to perform or perish, Sourav Ganguly on Saturday countered that age should not be a criterion for selection and the Big Three still had a lot of fire left in them.

"Performance and not seniority or juniority should count," the former captain said amidst calls that he, along with Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid should make way for younger players in the one-day team.

Ganguly said that the experienced trio were among the top four run-getters against England, the last time India played an ODI series.

"People who question Sachin Tendulkar's form are mad," Ganguly said in an interview to IBN-7.

He also pointed out that too much was made of players' age in India and public opinion was very fickle.

"It's typical of India to be excited and get lost in hype."

But the three veterans were tough enough to overcome the latest challenge as well, India's most successful Test captain said.

"Had they not been mentally and physically tough, they would not have survived the rigours of international cricket over a decade successfully."

Taking an indirect dig at former India coach Greg Chappell who claimed the credit for Ganguly's return to the team during the series in South Africa, the Bengal left-hander said his ouster had nothing to do with cricketing reasons and no one else believed that he could make a comeback.

"It (his omission) was driven by some personal agenda," he said.

Ganguly is impressed with the leadership skills of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and said the Jharkhand player had the right temperament for the job.

"Captain should be more like a friend to his team members and Dhoni does indeed epitomises that spirit," he said.

But Ganguly said it was too early to make judgements based on the Twenty20 World Cup triumph as "50-over cricket and 20-20 cricket are as different as Test cricket is from ODI cricket."
?

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
stupid indian selectors keep messing with the team. These three are still india's top players, if you kick them out the whole team will go down with them.
what a gun post? A straight as a bullet!

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It is a very irresponsible comment from a national selector. Performace should only be the criteria for selction and not the age!!!

Tedulukar, Ganguly and Dravid are three pillars of Indian cricket. Rest of the team being the fourth.

-SS

Raghav

It is a very irresponsible comment from a national selector. Performace should only be the criteria for selction and not the age!!!

Tedulukar, Ganguly and Dravid are three pillars of Indian cricket. Rest of the team being the fourth.

-SS
Two pillars are out for ducks against AUs in 5th ODI....Cant help :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I've got an essay to write about this 'name v/s performance' issue. Right now, there's too much dynamite and things are too tense, but watch this space...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Two pillars are out for ducks against AUs in 5th ODI....Cant help :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .
And how many did the young brigade of Yuvraj "I don't move my back foot" Singh and Robin "Across outside off every ball" Uthappa manage? What about Tendulkar? Surely he didn't top score or something...

The worst thing about the above post is that we'd see the above member criticising the Indian selectors regardless of what they did, just for the sake of bashing all things "Indian cricket."

Raghav

And how many did the young brigade of Yuvraj "I don't move my back foot" Singh and Robin "Across outside off every ball" Uthappa manage? What about Tendulkar? Surely he didn't top score or something...

The worst thing about the above post is that we'd see the above member criticising the Indian selectors regardless of what they did, just for the sake of bashing all things "Indian cricket."
Did I tell Yuvi and young ones are better than the three pillars?

Did I bash Indian selectors in my above post?Didnt Dravid and Ganguly gone for ducks?

Is it wrong to write a batsman that he has gone for duck if he did so?

I wrote the truth, if you cant accept it, stop following cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You may have written the truth, but really, what need was there to do so? None. Could "bad" come of writing it? Yes, undoubtedly - it's classic flame-war material.

You're not an idiot Raghav, far from it, and there have been plenty of times in your CW career where you've posted well. But you too often demean yourself in your eagerness to put down anything India-cricket related, and this is a great shame.

Last edited:

Raghav

You may have written the truth, but really, what need was there to do so? None. Could "bad" come of writing it? Yes, undoubtedly - it's classic flame-war material.

You're not an idiot Raghav, far from it, and there have been plenty of times in your CW career where you've posted well. But you too often demean yourself in your eagerness to put down anything India-cricket related, and this is a great shame.
Richard, Thanks for taking time to write some thing of me. I will try to reduce these posts