• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar's 194

deira

Banned
i have been hearing people since the 1999 world cup that this record will be broken soon. but till this day it hasn't been:laugh:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's funny about that? Given that we have some big hitters like Adam Gilchrist, Shahid Afridi and Sanath Jayasuriya, coupled with smaller grounds and more games against the minnow nations, it's become more of a possbility lately. Just a shame nobody has been able to break that record.

pup11

International Coach
Hayden is one man who on his current form can break this record, you never know somebody like Gilly, Gayle, Jayasuriya or even somebody like Dhoni (if he bats at 3) on their day can break this record, but scoring those many runs in an Odi game is not easy for an individual, so lots of credit needs to go to Saeed that was great knock by him.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting may have a chance, maybe Herchelle? Brilliant knocks in that 400 game

iamdavid

International Debutant
Gibbs had the record for all money until he got out in that 2006 game, he was out for 175 after 31.5 overs, still had 18 to go :blink: ....could concievably have made 250 odd if he'd stayed around.

shortpitched713

International Captain
What's funny about that? Given that we have some big hitters like Adam Gilchrist, Shahid Afridi and Sanath Jayasuriya, coupled with smaller grounds and more games against the minnow nations, it's become more of a possbility lately. Just a shame nobody has been able to break that record.
Don't really think I find it a shame, but it is surprising that nobody has broken that record yet itbt. I was almost certain Gibbs would get it in that one abomination of a ODI at Johannesburg.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Dhoni came very close against Sr Lankan... 183*, if only Sri Lanka had made more runs in that match. There was still another over or so to go and Dhoni never looked like going out either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gibbs had the record for all money until he got out in that 2006 game, he was out for 175 after 31.5 overs, still had 18 to go :blink: ....could concievably have made 250 odd if he'd stayed around.
True, but I'd possiblu say Dhoni was closer, because he was only denied it for all intents and purposes because the total he was chasing was too small.

He was not out in the end on 183.

Edit: Lol, just saw the post above me.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It will have to be someone who bats higher up the order. Hayden, Gilchrist, Gayle and Gibbs are the most likely to do it with Sachin past it and Sehwag down and out.

Afridi will never do it even if Pakistan open with him till he is fifty years old :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Until Saeed's record is broken, it deserves to stand.

TBH, I find it mildly funny how often people do seem to talk of it being broken. Records are made to be broken; there are a fair few people who could there were also a fair few people who might have done in the past.

I hope it's someone unexpected ITE.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I know why it hasn't been broken.

There is a thread on Pakpassion.net which is called Saeed 194 jinx thread, and whenever somebody starts to threaten the record that thread is re-opened and ppl start posting in it and very soon the batsman gets out. Its been happening for the past two years:laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I know why it hasn't been broken.

There is a thread on Pakpassion.net which is called Saeed 194 jinx thread, and whenever somebody starts to threaten the record that thread is re-opened and ppl start posting in it and very soon the batsman gets out. Its been happening for the past two years:laugh:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Typical of the man, it didn't occur to him at the time.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I had a dream that A.B and Gibbs both made 193 and South Africa got over 500.
I woke up and checked online and realised it was just a dream :sadwalk: