• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jadeja's Ban Lifted

V Reddy

International Debutant
Justice J K Mehra, the arbitrator appointed by the Delhi high court, on Monday set aside the five-year ban imposed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India on Ajay Jadeja for his alleged involvement in match-fixing.

Jadeja had challenged the decision to ban him from playing cricket for India after an inquiry commission headed by K Madhavan endorsed the Central Bureau of Investigation report indicating his involvement in the match-fixing controversy.

However, after a few hearings in the high court, Jadeja agreed to take the matter to arbitration and the court appointed Justice Mehra.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
will he still be good enough to play fc cricket anyway. cause he certainly wouldnt have a chance of playing international cricket.

masterblaster

International Captain
This is absolutely wonderful news to me.
He is one of my favorite players, and would love to see him back in the Indian colours. I suppose this further indicates his innocence, which he has maintained ever since his name was tarnished.

His presence surely as a classy batsman and wonderful fielder will boost Indian Cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Jadeja is recalled to the Indian team, it will only serve as a temporary fix. They should be looking to the future.

masterblaster

International Captain
I think he does, especially the way Mongia, Laxman and Bangar have been playing. Jadeja will be a wonderful no.3 or no.6 for India.

He is still very fit and agile, and can serve India for a long time.

Im a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and Jadeja will be back

V Reddy

International Debutant
He said in a show in Star News here that he is willing to play cricket even if it means to start from the scratch. Two selectors were also there in that program and they were very supportive of him. His age now is 31 and still has 5-6 yrs left in him.But he has no chance now till atleast next year.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Personally I'd think the last thing India need is another 30 something in the middle order - already they have the big 3 and Laxman - they need to introduce some of the younger players in, and maybe a leg spinner ;)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am discusted. He did wrong so he should be punished and have to sit out his punishment.

What is this saying to other young cricketers? You can go and match fix and get alot of money but don't worry if u are caught because in another few years u can start playing again.

If he did match fix he went against his country to do so. He may have lost matches that meant so much for the rest of the team. The Indian Cricket supporters and players should not want him back.

Bazza

International 12th Man
In fairness he is nearly 32 but he also has 5000+ runs and nearly 200 matches worth of experience, plus an impressive average of 37.47. You can't always 'look to the future'.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Now Jadeja has been stopped from playing League Cricket

Jadeja stopped from playing local league match
30 January 2003

Former Test cricketer Ajay Jadeja, whose five-year match-fixing ban was overturned earlier this week by an Indian court, was stopped from playing a local league match by officials on Thursday.

Jadeja was playing his first official game in over two years for National Stadium Cricket Club, a prominent team in the city's first-division league, when organisers intervened and had the match abandoned.

"We started the game, but after about five to seven overs Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) officials arrived and said they would not let me play," Jadeja said.

Confusion remains about the status of Jadeja, who had been banned for five years from all cricket by India's national cricket board in December 2000 after an internal inquiry into a federal police report on corruption in the game.

An arbitrator appointed by the Delhi High Court quashed the ban on Monday saying the board's internal probe was illegal.

"As far as I was concerned, I was free to play cricket. I'm not sure what the legality of the matter is," Jadeja said.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has said their decision-making working committee will decide in 90 days on Jadeja's fate and if they want to challenge the court order.

"The Board has already said they will take three months to get legal opinion," DDCA vice-president C.K. Khanna told Reuters.

"Unless we receive a directive from the BCCI, how can we allow Jadeja to play?"

But Jadeja's lawyer Vineet Malhotra said he did not need any further permission.

"I don't understand why they the DDCA officials should behave like this," he said. "If this carries on then we will have no option but to file for contempt of court."

Former India captain Mohammad Azharuddin and Ajay Sharma had been banned for life and test paceman Manoj Prabhakar for five years for match-fixing. All the players have denied any wrongdoing. Azharuddin has also challenged the ban in court in his hometown of Hyderabad.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I am not sure why Jadeja has got this reprieve.He was a good player...no doubt about that. But he did get involved into match fixing and the CBI report nailed him good. As an Indian fan I was disgusted by that and I don't want to see him playing ever. Period.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
aussie_beater said:
I am not sure why Jadeja has got this reprieve.He was a good player...no doubt about that. But he did get involved into match fixing and the CBI report nailed him good. As an Indian fan I was disgusted by that and I don't want to see him playing ever. Period.
Absolutely. If he plays again, it will be a travesty of justice. Fortunately, it doesn't look like he will play for India again in the near future, and the longer it takes, the harder it will be for the 31 year old to make a case for himself.