• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marlon Samuels

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just for the record, it's 'Daren' Powell...one 'r'....just a little quirk that's bothering me...:P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Just for the record, it's 'Daren' Powell...one 'r'....just a little quirk that's bothering me...:P
Pronounced "Derren"? Or Darren? I heard it called "Derren" somewhere. I blame it all on R_Powell_Fan...he started it! :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Which is, of course, why you said Ricardo Powell!
No I didn't know Ricardo Powell was in the squad because I thought with Hooper and Lara and Chanderpaul all fit there would not be a space for him, but when Samuels got injured then a new space would become available and he would be recalled...makes sense eh?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blimey, these marc-Rik arguments really weren't anything new, were they?
Just saw this thread, remembered about a player who I haven't heard anything about for ages.
Liam, an update, if you would be so kind?
Liked the look of Samuels in Australia (2000\01) but he looked pretty crap whenever I saw him from then on.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Liked the look of Samuels in Australia (2000\01) but he looked pretty crap whenever I saw him from then on.
except on that tour of india......would have liked to have seen him score in SL though.

Waughney

International Debutant
Yes, Samuels was one of my favourite WI players when they toured here in 2000/01. What has happened to him?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Last check Samuels is fit and has been playing cricket in America. He's training with Jamaica for the Regional OD series next month, so he should be back in maroon by early next year.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
but where will he play? The one day side seems rather settled to me. If anything, he can only replace Ricardo Powell, or he should be prepared to open and probably give Wavell Hinds a tough time. I always felt he was a good player of fast bowling. Is he prepared to open? I think that could be a very productive move for him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think he's an opener, never looked like one to me.
I'd definately prefer Wavell Hinds at three, though.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Last check Samuels is fit and has been playing cricket in America. He's training with Jamaica for the Regional OD series next month, so he should be back in maroon by early next year.
Doesn't seem to be pulling up any trees in the warm up games though and, from what I've read, doubts persist about his fitness and attitude.

I think he'd need to produce very impressive domestic form to get back into either the 1-day or test side.

Mr Mxyzptlk

honestbharani said:
but where will he play? The one day side seems rather settled to me. If anything, he can only replace Ricardo Powell, or he should be prepared to open and probably give Wavell Hinds a tough time. I always felt he was a good player of fast bowling. Is he prepared to open? I think that could be a very productive move for him.
Marlon Samuels is not an opening batsman and I'd really prefer to see Wavell Hinds or Devon Smith opening the batting ahead of him. As for Powell, he's a good late innings hitter which comes in handy with a long batting lineup like WI currently has. Add that to his great fielding and I certainly wouldn't drop him for Samuels. I'm not sold on Samuels' attitude toward West Indian cricket as yet.