Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: ***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2007/08

  1. #1
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    4,297

    ***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2007/08

    No word yet.
    Its october and no sign of a season,no squads released except the dolphins,no signs if all the kolpak players are going to play,or murray goodwin.
    Kruger will play,willoughby won't,vaughan van jaarsevlt and cmlaren want to qualify for england so doubt we will see them playing or not much.
    So many questions no answers.
    In the past the s africa season has started in september but not this season,unless the media is not reporting it.
    Also their is the ICL players boje,klusener,hall?(who wants to play for the titans),devilliers and bosman who will be banned from playing for playing for saffie clubs this year.
    Aussie season starts next week.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,557
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    No word yet.
    Its october and no sign of a season,no squads released except the dolphins,no signs if all the kolpak players are going to play,or murray goodwin.
    Kruger will play,willoughby won't,vaughan van jaarsevlt and cmlaren want to qualify for england so doubt we will see them playing or not much.
    So many questions no answers.
    In the past the s africa season has started in september but not this season,unless the media is not reporting it.
    Also their is the ICL players boje,klusener,hall?(who wants to play for the titans),devilliers and bosman who will be banned from playing for playing for saffie clubs this year.
    Aussie season starts next week.
    As does the South African one… First class cricket (SuperSport and Provincial) begins on October 11th.

    And here are a couple of squads…

    Nashua Titans contracted squad …

    Bodi, de Bruyn, de Villiers, Berhardien, du Plessis, Harris, Joubert, Kuhn, Mbhalati, A Morkel, M Morkel, Nel, Aronstam, Phangiso, Reddy, Steyn, Thomas, Tahir and van Jaarsveld (captain)

    In- Imran Tahir, Pakistani leg-spinner (last seen playing county cricket for Yorkshire), Tahir has a South African wife and has now decided to settle in South Africa and will cover for Paul Harris, who is likely to be on international duty for a considerable time this season.
    Out- Justin Kemp (Cobra's)

    Cape Cobra’s contracted squad…

    Smith, de Lange, Gibbs, Prince, Kallis, Boucher, Tello, Kemp, Langeveldt, Henderson, Zondeki, Philander, Hector, Kleinveldt, Puttick, Davids, Duminy, Sandri, Levi, Plaatjies and Tsolekile (captain)

    Rookies- South African under-19 captain Richard Levi has been contracted as is Francois Plaatjies and Pepler Sandri.
    New Signings- Justin Kemp, Charl Langeveldt, Tyron Henderson
    Out- Charl Willoughby, Quinton Friend (signed for Natal Dolphins)
    Contract not renewed- Paul Adams

    Haven’t go the other sides contracted list (aside from the Dolphins), so no confirmation to if those mentioned Kolpak cricketers will return. Although, the Eagles and the Lions are likely to be most depleted sides due to this…
    Ryan McLaren will presumably not return for his going to qualify for England, Loots Bosman commitment to the ICL will likely see his domestic career ended; both Boeta Dippenaar and Johan van der Wath have been offered Kolpak contracts, van der Wath with Northamptonshire and Dippenaar with Leicestershire. Graeme Smith has confirmed van der Wath is likely to accept but no answer yet from Dippenaar. As for the Lions, Garnett Kruger has left whilst VB van Jaarsveld, can’t not return if he wants to play for England.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,077
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    As does the South African one… First class cricket (SuperSport and Provincial) begins on October 11th.

    And here are a couple of squads…

    Nashua Titans contracted squad …

    Bodi, de Bruyn, de Villiers, Berhardien, du Plessis, Harris, Joubert, Kuhn, Mbhalati, A Morkel, M Morkel, Nel, Aronstam, Phangiso, Reddy, Steyn, Thomas, Tahir and van Jaarsveld (captain)

    In- Imran Tahir, Pakistani leg-spinner (last seen playing county cricket for Yorkshire), Tahir has a South African wife and has now decided to settle in South Africa and will cover for Paul Harris, who is likely to be on international duty for a considerable time this season.
    Out- Justin Kemp (Cobra's)
    Ahhhgh, that signing of Tahir drives me crazy. Ive always said that if Aronstam had packed his bags (which I suggested to him 3 years ago) he would be a year away from qualifying to be a good England Test player.

    Now he is sat behind Harris, du Plessis and Tahir.

    Proof that nice guys finish last.

    Last edited by Goughy; 03-10-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,795
    Following up:

    EP/Border (Eastern Cape) Warriors

    *Z de Bruyn, Ntini, Ackerman, J Botha, Dyili, Hayward, Ingram, A Jacobs, D Jacobs, Kreusch, Meyer, Mjekula, Olivier, Peterson, Thyssen, Tsotsobe
    In - Davey Jacobs (from Eagles)
    Out - Murray Goodwin, Kops (not given contract?)

    Lions have a squad on their website but it's out of date. Haven't found anything from Eagles.
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 03-10-2007 at 11:58 AM.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,557
    You sure the Warriors gave a contract to Andre Olivier, not Mario?

    Also good to see Goodwin gone.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,795
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    You sure the Warriors gave a contract to Andre Olivier, not Mario?

    Also good to see Goodwin gone.
    You're right, it's Mario. Dunno where that came from.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,557
    Could have a new side this year, Cricinfo are reporting Zimbabwe have been invited to compete in this years domestic season...

    http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/zimba...ry/313467.html

    "It will add a new dimension to South African cricket," a CSA source told The Star. "They have talented players and we want to improve them."

    Also a couple of hundred more runs for opposing batsman.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,557
    Update on Zim… They will participate in South African Provincial cricket (alongside Namibia) not SuperSport cricket as originally reported.

    CSA, Brain Basson- “I can confirm that Zimbabwe will play provincial cricket in South Africa - and not franchise cricket. That means that they’ll participate in the SAA Challenge, playing three-day and one-day games.
    This is good for South African cricket and it's very beneficial for Zimbabwe cricket as they have little first-class cricket. Namibia is an associated team and for them playing in the competition was very good for them.
    Namibia played half of their games in South Africa and the other in Windhoek last season. Zimbabwe will do the same by playing half the time at the provinces and half at their home venues
    .”
    http://www.supercricket.co.za/defaul...omesticcricket

    Good luck to them, Namibia (with the help of Tatenda Taibu) obtained the second most points in provincial cricket last year, so Zimbabwe shouldn’t find this level of cricket to taxing.

  9. #9
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    4,297
    Could change with the players going over to ICL,especially if they sign more saffies.
    I gather most kolpaks will play for their sides.
    BTW heard a rumour hylton ackerman to derbyshire.
    Zimbabwe played in the comp before,so not new.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Following up:

    EP/Border (Eastern Cape) Warriors

    *Z de Bruyn, Ntini, Ackerman, J Botha, Dyili, Hayward, Ingram, A Jacobs, D Jacobs, Kreusch, Meyer, Mjekula, Olivier, Peterson, Thyssen, Tsotsobe
    In - Davey Jacobs (from Eagles)
    Out - Murray Goodwin, Kops (not given contract?)

    Lions have a squad on their website but it's out of date. Haven't found anything from Eagles.
    Kops has joined the Free State Eagles. However, no news on the rest of their side...

    Haven't got the full list of contracted players but his Lions squad for tomorrow's SuperSport game, Kruger does return, VB as expected doesn't.

    Neil McKenzie (Captain)
    Blake Snijman
    Alviro Peterson
    Steven Cook
    Werner Coetsee
    Justin Ontong
    Heinrich le Roux
    Matthew Harris
    Claude Henderson
    Garnett Kruger
    Friedel de Wet
    Craig Alexander
    Last edited by TT Boy; 10-10-2007 at 07:22 AM.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Ahhhgh, that signing of Tahir drives me crazy. Ive always said that if Aronstam had packed his bags (which I suggested to him 3 years ago) he would be a year away from qualifying to be a good England Test player.

    Now he is sat behind Harris, du Plessis and Tahir.

    Proof that nice guys finish last.

    Should have a good run of games this year, especially with the Titan‘s bowling unit all being with the national side. And his excepted to be their opener in four day cricket.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,557
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    Could change with the players going over to ICL,especially if they sign more saffies.
    I gather most kolpaks will play for their sides.
    BTW heard a rumour hylton ackerman to derbyshire.
    Johan van der Wath has signed with the ICL, which therefore means his domestic career in South Africa is over. van der Wath was also dropped this week from the South African sixes side.
    Lance Klusener has also not been given clearance to play for Dolphins as he too has a contract with the ICL, same would naturally apply with Nicky Boje.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, D
    Posts
    22,795
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Kops has joined the Free State Eagles. However, no news on the rest of their side...

    Haven't got the full list of contracted players but his Lions squad for tomorrow's SuperSport game, Kruger does return, VB as expected doesn't.

    Neil McKenzie (Captain)
    Blake Snijman
    Alviro Peterson
    Steven Cook
    Werner Coetsee
    Justin Ontong
    Heinrich le Roux
    Matthew Harris
    Claude Henderson
    Garnett Kruger
    Friedel de Wet
    Craig Alexander
    Alexander and le Roux didn't play much last season, right?

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,557
    They are new recruits from provincial cricket. Le Roux joins from Gauteng whilst Alexander has come all the way from Western Province. Alexander apparently has some pace whilst Le Roux is your typical South African all-rounder. Both are former RSA under-19 internationals.

  15. #15
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    4,297
    S african competition will be depleted this year,not many kolpaks backing up benkenstein and ackerman are,real shock to see venderwrath sacked as it were,boje and vanderwrath will be kolpaks now.
    Gmaes start today.
    Rumours still go around that kemp will become a kolpak player despite the fact he is vice captain of the one day side.
    Gmaes start today watch cricinfo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. **Official Bangladesh Domestic Cricket**
    By Jungle Jumbo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 887
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM
  2. ***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2007/08
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2698
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 05:06 AM
  3. ***Official*** English Domestic Season 2007
    By superkingdave in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2267
    Last Post: 24-09-2007, 03:09 PM
  4. South african domestic season.
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 15-12-2006, 04:57 AM
  5. *Official* South African domestic season 2005/6
    By Langeveldt in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 16-12-2005, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •