• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden or Anwar?

Who has the better technique to play against the greats?

• Total voters

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Who has/had the better technique to have played well against the bowlers of the 70s and 80s like the West Indies greats, Imran Khan and co., etc?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure what Anwar was like, but his technique would have to be pretty bad if Hayden were to handle those bowlers better.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You're comparing two fairly different openers with fairly different techniques. Having said that, it's no secret who I'd want facing the best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anwar easily.

Anwar could and did score good runs against such high-calibre seam-bowlers; Hayden didn't.

Anwar, of course, also scored against the more rubbish bowlers, but in nowhere near the quantity Hayden manages.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Funny question - I've said Anwar has the better technique since that was what was asked. Who is a better batsman? And who would score more runs against those attacks? Hayden and... probably Hayden :ph34r:

R_D

International Debutant
Anwar had better technique but still he struggled against good attacks. Don't think Hayden will do much better thou....
Depends on the pitch too.. if its one of the flat tracks in produced in Aus in recent times than Hayden by a country mile.

Third option it is.

iamdavid

International Debutant
People seem to be forgetting that Anwar's technique was hardly from the textbook either, he (like Hayden) was a magnificent player of spin, however against the quicks he was at times very flashy and his footwork quite often lacking, relied on a great eye and excellent wrists but I remeber a fair few flat footed slashes outside the offstump.

Hard to say who had the superior technique as Hayden too has his technical imperfections, but they both got the job done.

And if I had to pick one to bat for my life it would be Hayden sorry, although Anwar easily the prettier player to watch.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i agree with RD....saeed was trobbled spacially with out side off stump deliveries.. his cute shot through point on those delieveries was just a treat to watch.. .. but at times he was trobbled with that delieveries... i voted for saeed cuz i liked his bating style

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
That's true actually, only once did he score a century against a good fast bowling attack. There were a couple against Glenn McGrath and Craig McDermott, but no third seamer of note.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63790.html

Excellent attack.
I have been searching hard for many days but couldn't find a single international innings by Hayden against Glenn McGrath and Craig McDermott (with or without a third seamer of note) :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have been searching hard for many days but couldn't find a single international innings by Hayden against Glenn McGrath and Craig McDermott (with or without a third seamer of note) :)
I think we both know why that is ;)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Matt Hayden's FC: 23484 runs @ 53.37
Saeed Anwar's FC: 10169 @ 45.19

I searched hard but couldn't find many instances of Anwar playing FC sides as strong as the Pura Cup teams Hayden predominantly made those runs against. ;)