• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you rather have in your team as a batsman - Hussey or Kallis

Who would you want as a batsman in your team

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
Based on discussion in this thread, who would you rather have in your team as a batsman, ignoring (somewhat unfairly, but for the sake of science :p) Kallis' bowling.

Their overall records:
Kallis: 107 matches, 8430 runs, 55.09 average, 24 centuries, 44 half-centuries
Hussey: 16 Matches, 1597 Runs, 79.85 Average, 5 Centuries, 8 Half-Centuries

And their records since Hussey debuted:
Kallis: 14 Matches, 1093 Runs, 45.54 Average, 2 Centuries, 7 Half-Centuries
Hussey: 16 Matches, 1597 Runs, 79.85 Average, 5 Centuries, 8 Half-Centuries

As was pointed out in the linked thread, on the basis of their whole career, its a bit of a no-contest maybe. On the basis of performances in the last two years, a much more interesting question.

Matt79

Global Moderator
To clarify the question - I'm not asking "over the whole of their career", I mean if you had to have just one (Flem) in your team tomorrow, who would it be.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey. He hasn't played as much or proved himself as much but I feel he IS the better batsmen. I feel he IS better equipped to deal with the varying situations; whether it be to slog it out or to churn out runs. I also think he is a better team man.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Is this a serious question?

Kallis has over 100 Test matches compared to 16 from Hussey and Kallis is younger as well :blink:

Hussey has a brilliant average but 16 Tests is no basis for drawing any conclusions. It isnt a large enough sample size to sugest it will continue.

In fact there is more evidence to suggest it will decline. Consider after 32 ODIs Hussey averaged over 100, yet now after 72 games it has almost halfed to 58.

As good a player as Hussey is, a freak average over a small number of games doesnt prove anything.

The_Bunny

State Regular

Kallis has over 100 Test matches compared to 16 from Hussey and Kallis is younger as well :blink:

Hussey has a brilliant average but 16 Tests is no basis for drawing any conclusions. It isnt a large enough sample size to sugest it will continue.

In fact there is more evidence to suggest it will decline. Consider after 32 ODIs Hussey averaged over 100, yet now after 72 games it has almost halfed to 58.

As good a player as Hussey is, a freak average over a small number of games doesnt prove anything.
Its who you would want in your team right now, and on current form its a non contest for mine.

Flem274*

123/5
To clarify the question - I'm not asking "over the whole of their career", I mean if you had to have just one (Flem) in your team tomorrow, who would it be.
Both:p

And Pup, does Glasgow have its own county side? Hamish is in England ATM, steal him.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Both are class batsmen and if it were I would go with Kallis overall as he can bowl. But because this poll is about who woulf be picked as a batsman I vote Hussey

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
And Pup, does Glasgow have its own county side? Hamish is in England ATM, steal him.
You may call me Liam, Scotland have played in the C&G for the past 3 seasons so Hamish would do nicely as an overseas player, plus he's got a very scottish name. :)

Flem274*

123/5
You may call me Liam, Scotland have played in the C&G for the past 3 seasons so Hamish would do nicely as an overseas player, plus he's got a very scottish name. :)
Then he's all yours to steal Liam. Despite his dificulties in international cricket in the past couple of seasons he's been making huge runs in County Cricket last year. I'd take him.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Answered this in the other thread. It really depends on what you mean and what you were looking for, but I think most teams would go for Hussey over almost any player in the world at the moment. Kallis is obviously the superior choice over the course of his career.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Answered this in the other thread. It really depends on what you mean and what you were looking for, but I think most teams would go for Hussey over almost any player in the world at the moment. Kallis is obviously the superior choice over the course of his career.
Yes, my own sentiments are closer to this.

pup11

International Coach
I would have Hussey for the Odi's and Kallis for the tests, tough i would be tempted to have Hussey in the test team too for his ability to bat with the tail and turn a potential average score into a very good score, but the thing is he hasn't done that enough in test matches to match the sheer weight of runs Kallis has compiled in test cricket(though if one matches Hussey's test record since his debut in international cricket to Kallis's in test matches then also one will see Hussey has done better than Kallis), since Matt is asking us to pick either Kallis or Hussey on their recent performances and form then that would pretty much rule-out Kallis the bowler out of the equation.
In Odi's i think Kallis's batting subdued or lets say has lacked the flair which has cost games to his team, but Hussey has done a great job as the finisher in Odi cricket and rescued Australia from dire situations.

The_Bunny

State Regular

Though I agree that 58 is a far more acurate average than the ridiculous amount he averaged early in his career, The run of low scores he has had recently is even further from the truth for mine.
I would like to see his Odi average stabilise before I make any judgements :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I should add: I think Fuller puts it best:
In all absolute seriousness and candor, in my opinion the only two players in world cricket who would be selected in a test side ahead of Michael Hussey right now are Murali and Ponting. I suppose you could argue about Asif and Clark depending on what the side actually needed, but I think most teams in the world would rather have Hussey right at this stage than Kallis.

Kallis is obviously the superior player based on his record though, and Hussey has a lot to prove. In an all-time team or whatever it'd be Kallis by a mile, but if I was a selector right now and could have one or the other, I'd take Hussey in either form of the game.