• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you rather have in your team as a batsman - Hussey or Kallis

Who would you want as a batsman in your team

• Total voters

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Jaques Kallis - Twice the player and half the age - not quite, but would still rather have him than Hussey

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Kallis, and it wouldn't be all that close. Hussey hasn't done it long term, and I would be much more confident in Kallis to come in and do the job tomorrow regardless of the situation as he's seen and done it all.

So even though the post asks who we want 'right now', I think I'd always take experience even if the experienced had a less than exemplary record. Considering Kallis record is in fact exemplary, it makes the decision very easy.

If you take the whole package, Kallis is probably the most important player in world cricket. If you take only the batting and batsmen, he is still not too far off (behind Ponting, Dravid).

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Michael Hussey averages 20 in his last 10 ODIs, 25 in last 20 ODIs. Kallis is 52 in last 10 ODIs, 82 in last 20 ODIs. In Tests, Hussey is 37 in 2007, Kallis is 51.

So yes, As of now, I know who I want in my team.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Michael Hussey averages 20 in his last 10 ODIs, 25 in last 20 ODIs. Kallis is 52 in last 10 ODIs, 82 in last 20 ODIs. In Tests, Hussey is 37 in 2007, Kallis is 51.

So yes, As of now, I know who I want in my team.
Unless I am very wrong this is only tests, and I think Hussey has onley played one test in 2007.

Woodster

International Captain
While both are recognised as being quality batsmen in their own way, I would go with Kallis, and without too much debate aswell.
Jacques Kallis hsa batted consistently well for a whole number of years, and that cannot be underestimated when he is compared to a man with only 16 Tests to his name. The fact you are selecting between the two for tomorrow makes Kallis's case stronger because of all the experience he has gathered in all different kinds of situations, that he may need to rely on tomorrow. If a number of years down the line, Hussey has remained as consistent as his record suggests now, it may be a different story, whether he will have the time is another story.

Kallis comfortably for me, for sheer longevity purposes mainly.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Oh well, I'm happy that it wasn't a laughable suggestion to take Hussey over Kallis, judging by the relatively even split of opinion.

RE: Hussey's 2007 average, yeah, he played one test in 2007 - his season 2006/7 average is pretty damn good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whereas, those stats show that Kallis has in the last couple of seasons not matched his own very high peak, and the guy is the wrong side of 30. I'm certainly not writing him off as a quality batsman, but its likely he's not going to dramatically improve, or indeed recapture his peak form.
Well...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, one needs to to properly use them. :happy:

Either way, FTR that comment was one I thought was probably pretty accurate at the time it was made. Alas, since that time Kallis had a very fortunate (but nonetheless still pretty decent) series in Pakistan and a sensational one once more at home. I was always hopeful, but never optimistic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pah, pitiful. He's played a handful of Tests and he can only get his average up by 5. :sleep: Kallis, after all those games, manages to raise his career average by 3.

;)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Interesting to note the voting in the poll - unless I'm mistaken there's only three Aussie respondents who voted for Kallis, and of them, only two support Australia. And from memory one of them is probably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) fans of Kallis on the forum.

I would be really tempted to go for Kallis, as I just have a thing for really solid guys in the middle order who put a massive premium on their wicket, they can be extremely valuable when the chips are down. And as has been said before, there's still a question mark over Hussey in different conditions round the world, and many people have pointed out in this thread the disparity in longevity (and experience). For some unknown, arbitrary reason I find Hussey really boring anyway, so Kallis' stoicism by comparison isn't a massive negative.

Of course, as successful as Australia is at the moment, there's obviously a fair argument that we don't need a player like that at present, so I guess it's just a personal preference on my part. Plus, he has a long-time corporate affiliation with Sanex, so our players would have beautifully soft and tender hands and feet.

Protean

State Regular
Interesting to note the voting in the poll - unless I'm mistaken there's only three Aussie respondents who voted for Kallis, and of them, only two support Australia. And from memory one of them is probably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) fans of Kallis on the forum.

I would be really tempted to go for Kallis, as I just have a thing for really solid guys in the middle order who put a massive premium on their wicket, they can be extremely valuable when the chips are down. And as has been said before, there's still a question mark over Hussey in different conditions round the world, and many people have pointed out in this thread the disparity in longevity (and experience). For some unknown, arbitrary reason I find Hussey really boring anyway, so Kallis' stoicism by comparison isn't a massive negative.

Of course, as successful as Australia is at the moment, there's obviously a fair argument that we don't need a player like that at present, so I guess it's just a personal preference on my part. Plus, he has a long-time corporate affiliation with Sanex, so our players would have beautifully soft and tender hands and feet.
Hehe, the Sanex ads featuring him are so arb. Don't really want to see Kallis in the shower tbh. :happy: