• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A little rant!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
One thing that really gets my goat, and I hope is sorted out in the World Cup, is the issue of slow over rates.

There's supposed to be a penalty for teams going over the time limit, but it's never enforced!

If teams bowling second really lost 6 runs for every over they are late in (as well as having to bowl the over) - then the problem would be sorted, but the rule is never applied!

In close games that would make a big difference.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the Aus domestic comp they have a rule now where if you bowl your overs too slow you lose competition points.
Its 0.5 points for every over you are behind. So if you are 2 overs behind in 4 games you lose a whole win!
and that has seen most teams here clean up their act.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think there's supposedly a rule whereby 6 runs are added if an over is unbowled by the cut-off, and then the over is bowled (didn't Somerset have a game like that last year?)

However this rule is not being enforced :!(

Bazza

International 12th Man
So has most of the world. Surprisingly contrary to popular belief it seems to significantly slow down over rates when spinners are in operation.

Good point though Marc I hope this is not an issue at the world cup.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
generally you wil find that with spinners the over rate can be slower caure they want the field exactly right

also nothing big is made about it, usually they just chop 1 or 2 overs off

also, there have been plenty of injuries and drinks breaks this summer to help temas get away with it

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Disrupts the rhythm of the side batting second, and also,it's harder if there's a time limit to the overs - if the team bowling second can just take as long as they want, that is a HUGE advantage!

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Originally posted by marc71178 I think there's supposedly a rule whereby 6 runs are added if an over is unbowled by the cut-off, and then the over is bowled (didn't Somerset have a game like that last year?)
They did. It was against Glamorgan and Som. had just started the last over when the umpires decided they had been bowling too slow and deducted 6 from the runs needed, which meant Glamorgan won :!(. It has to be said that the Somerset bowlers were rushing through their last overs, especially Blackwell, to try and stop this from happening, but it wasn't enough. The whole team had faces like thunder when they left the pitch, which didn't surprise me.

I wish the umpires would make up their minds and become a little more consistent about enforcing a rule like that, because if they don't, what is the point in having it? It just seems pointless otherwise if it matters in some games and doesn't in others.

Kimbo

International Debutant
India was really bad here.

My team at the Under 21 tournament was super quick through overs... in one game we bowled 19 overs an hour.:saint: :saint: :saint: the umps loved us.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sunil Havascar said:
India was really bad here.

My team at the Under 21 tournament was super quick through overs... in one game we bowled 19 overs an hour.:saint: :saint: :saint: the umps loved us.
India is always bad in overrates wherever they play:yawn: