• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the greatest opening batsman of alltime?

Who's the greatest opening batsman of All Time?

• Total voters

funnygirl

State Regular
The one i like to watch is Gordon Greenidge . I am ready to spend my one month salary to watch a pull shot from the man .

But realistically it is SM Gavaskar.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For me, Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Hutton.

One of the few lists England can really contribute to.

However, Richards was 3 times the player that most of those guys were and he doesnt make the list even if there is a 10 Test min

Bouncer

State Regular
Sunil Minohar Gavaskar......Imagine what would have happened had his uncle not spotted the swapped kid at hospital.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of Hobbs, Sutcliffe or Hutton - hard to say which really. I'll vote Hobbs purely on the basis that he came first.

As Kev says, about the one area in cricket where England can claim to be forerunners.

Oh, and anyone who thinks Hayden would be among the best openers in The World any time other than post-2001 or possibly (but only possibly) the 1930s needs 2nd lesson to be devoted to "cricket".

One thing to add: I'm taking this to be "of 1900 and onwards". Not all-time. All-time is such a dangerous thing to put into a category in cricket.

archie mac

International Coach
For me, Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Hutton.

One of the few lists England can really contribute to.

However, Richards was 3 times the player that most of those guys were and he doesnt make the list even if there is a 10 Test min
3 times the player of those you have named, or 3 times the player of some of those in the poll?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jack Hobbs.

Saeed Anwar, Justin Langer and Virender Sehwag don't deserve to be mentioned, they aren't even close. To put them on the list and leave out names like Arthur Morris, Herbert Sutcliffe and WG Grace was very foolish.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sorely tempted to go Vic Trumper - kudos for including him BPS - but can't go past Hobbs - the second best batsman ever to play the game (FULL STOP)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Obviously a great player, and definitely three times the player of guys like Sehwag. With that said, it's just conjecture as he didn't play enough Tests.

archie mac

International Coach
Hobbs easily. Second batsman in any all time XI after Bradman.
I agree Hobbs, but Hutton is not far behind, if you compare the two, both had fine averages and both lost their best years due to a WW, Hutton was a truely great player with all of the shots:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, the second opening spot is still open though with Richards, Hutton, Gavaskar and others all claiming a spot. Hobbs has a lock on the first for mine.