• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought Redmond was a No.3?

Also on the subject of African imports, whats the talk on Kruger Van Wyk and Colin De Gronholmme?
Colin De Grandhomme is a gun player; believe me. If he doesn't play international cricket eventually, I will be surprised.

Flem274*

123/5
That'd be a very fair reason not to open with him if he was actually getting picked in the first place. Sinclair is a better opener than Cumming and Papps from what I've seen, even if he is better suited to 3 or 4.
Hmmm but I have a sneaking suspicion Fulton is losing form so the no.3 spot may be up for grabs. If we have a 6-1-4 setup then he should get in. (6 batsmen-1 keeper-4 bowlers). Of course as you said, he needs to be picked first.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmmm but I have a sneaking suspicion Fulton is losing form so the no.3 spot may be up for grabs. If we have a 6-1-4 setup then he should get in. (6 batsmen-1 keeper-4 bowlers). Of course as you said, he needs to be picked first.
If I was picking the team, Sinclair would bat at 3 or 4. However it's obvious the selectors disagree and would rather have other players there. Given that, I'd then open with him. That's my point.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On Franklin, I think he is inured but there was definitely talk of changing his bowling technique. Now this could end up meaning, more swing, more pace, more accuracy, less injuries but with our track record and Braces being a control freak that does dumb things...
Franklin trying to change his bowling technique is horrible news IMO. It is most likely a ploy to get him to become more useful in ODIs - so he'll probably focus on that "hit-the-deck-back-of-a-length-with-no-movement" stuff we've seen of him lately and lose his best asset: swing. At best, you'll end up with a mediocre test bowler and mediocre ODI bowler rather than the good test bowler and poor ODI bowler you have now...

Flem274*

123/5
If I was picking the team, Sinclair would bat at 3 or 4. However it's obviously the selectors disagree and would rather have other players there. Given that, I'd then open with him. That's my point.
Fair point, though I think Cumming and Papps have some class. Sinclair has to be the biggest wasted talent in terms of selections in NZ cricket history though TBH

Flem274*

123/5
Franklin trying to change his bowling technique is horrible news IMO. It is most likely a ploy to get him to become more useful in ODIs - so he'll probably focus on that "hit-the-deck-back-of-a-length-with-no-movement" stuff we've seen of him lately and lose his best asset: swing. At best, you'll end up with a mediocre test bowler and mediocre ODI bowler rather than the good test bowler and poor ODI bowler you have now...
That is my worst fear. One of my more cynical hopes for this year is we lose all our matches heavily and there's another player rebellion so we can get rid of the coaching staff. Bracewell knows the pressure is on, thats why he disallowed Wright to coach the rookie openers through the tour. Braces is scared of him. The openers are going to be poorer because of it too IMO.

Chubb

International Regular
De Grandhomme (sic) looked bloody good the only time I saw him play for Auckland. I think he's a Zimbo though, not a Yarpie. He did look to have quite a bit of talent though.

Colin de Grandhomme is a Zimbabwean and he is a very, very good player already and will only get better- NZ have a huge bargain there, I can tell you. He should be playing for Zim right now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Never seen him play, his first class record doesn't look too great, but under his circumstances the first class record may not be the best gauge. Whats he like as a player?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never seen him play, his first class record doesn't look too great, but under his circumstances the first class record may not be the best gauge. Whats he like as a player?
Well, the ONE game I have seen him play, he came to the crease in tough circumstances; Auckland were up against it on a windy Wellington day. He ground out for a few overs, and then showed he had a good number of shots.... Mind you, decent batting always impresses me as I've always been awful... He played a sublime on-drive though.

The five of us present clapped.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, the ONE game I have seen him play, he came to the crease in tough circumstances; Auckland were up against it on a windy Wellington day. He ground out for a few overs, and then showed he had a good number of shots.... Mind you, decent batting always impresses me as I've always been awful... He played a sublime on-drive though.

The five of us present clapped.
Here's a pic from that game: