• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Shoud bat 4 for Australia in ODI's

who should bat @ no 4 in ODI's

• D Martyn

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • M Bevan

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • M Clarke

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • S Waugh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M Waugh

• J Langer

• G Blewett

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other

• Total voters

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
at the moment i am not sure, Martyn seems to lack the ability to score anywhere but behind point!!!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think clarke sshould bat 4 cause he has the ability to hit singles everywhere around the ground and usually scores very fast (SR 75-90) and he can better support Hayden/gilly/ponting by giving them the strike till he has his eye in

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Martyn just hasn't settled at number 4 in either Tests or ODIs in the 2 series. Love should bat at 4 in Tests as he's a natural number 3 but Ponting's filling that role, and Clarke is too innexperianced to bat at 4. I think Bevan should bat at 4, he doesn't score amazingly quickly but he could build an innings from there.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Bevan should be the ideal No:4. He is a regular in the team and can build an innings, rotate the strike, keep the scoreboard moving even if the boundaries aren't forthcoming, can accelerate towards the end, in short a typical anchor role.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
need i remind people that bevan has batted at 4 before, and batted crap compared to batting @ 5 or 6

also Bevan seems to have trouble against the new ball in OD games at international level and cannot get it away early in his innings either

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
need i remind people that bevan has batted at 4 before, and batted crap compared to batting @ 5 or 6

also Bevan seems to have trouble against the new ball in OD games at international level and cannot get it away early in his innings either
Bevan career one day stat:

195 matches, 6018 runs, 54.70 average

Batting at No: 4:

58 matches, 2190 runs, 59.18 average

Doesn't exactly look like crap to me.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
anilramavarma said:
Bevan career one day stat:

195 matches, 6018 runs, 54.70 average

Batting at No: 4:

58 matches, 2190 runs, 59.18 average

Doesn't exactly look like crap to me.
I'm sure England (or anyone else for that matter) would bite your hand off to have a batsman that "crap". I'd love to be that "crap".

35+ matches, 25 runs, 2.27 average is crap.

(That's me by the way)

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You just can't get much better than Bevan in ODI cricket...
Absolutely. He is not so flashy but he has such tremendous capability to adapt and do what it takes to win a match or salvage his team from a spot of bother and he sure can make the number four position his own if given a chance....maybe his average will drop a bit because of lesser number of not outs, but I am sure he will deliver the goods.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
what i meant was he had done crap there compared to other places, sure he may have had a couple big innings but he was/is far more consistant down the order

Andre

International Regular
Personally, I think Martyn is doing fine at number 4. He's not too slow, yet he is steady in the middle order.

We need him there even more now that Bevan is injured.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lehmann should bat 4, with martyn at 6, of course a fit bevan at 5 or clarke at 5 if bevan is injured.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
If steve Waugh ahd been available for ODI's he would be my choice, other then that Bevan looks the only option (having not seen Clarke and seen Martyn)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i would not bat Boof @ 4 cause we need hitting power down the order - though hogg proved he can bat yesterday, bt Martyn again showed yesterday that he is fairly easily tied down (i mean if england can do it ;))

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
maybe Jimmy Maher could bat number 4 in the order, we have seen him do well batting everywhere in the order, he has the ability to guide an innings and to also hit out when need be.