• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World's Best All-Rounder ~ Final Poll ~ Best of the Best

Who is the World's Best All Rounder?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bond21

Banned
yea well thats all well and good, but everyone seems to forget he gets injured more than usual.

its almost extraordinary how often he's injured. I mean he was injured for a few months, then he plays his first game in the T20 after injury, and nope hes injured again.

the guy couldnt even last one game without getting an injury.

I mean if someone like Warne gets injured, he gets back in the team no worries after because hes so good. But Watson is replaceable, so if he keeps getting injured he wont improve too much if at all and younger guys will come up through the ranks and eventually take his spot.

Like say Watson is injured for 6 months, hes gone 6 months through rehab just to get rid of the injury, and a young 20 year old has been playing for 6 months improving his cricket and making a name for himself.

Ian Chappell said himself that the selectors shouldnt pick him until he plays an entire season of state cricket to prove himself to be fit.

bond21

Banned
australia is touring india soon so he could be fit for the test series............................

Anyway why discuss watson when theres better players like kallis flintoff and pollock to be discussed.

i chose kallis because hes one of the best batsmen in the world and hes a decent bowler.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
let me summarise shane watson and roy.

lets be theoretical, on a scale of 1-100 i will rate their skills.

Say 100 is Ponting for batting and McGrath for bowling

Symonds

Batting - 85

Bowling - OS - 65

Bowling - Medium pace - 60

Fielding - 100

Watson

Batting - 70

Bowling - 75

Fielding - 80
Watson is a much, much better batsman than Symonds. Other than that, you've got it right I suppose, except Symond's bowling isn't that good.

WHICH ONE WOULD U RATHER?
Shane Watson, as he is the better player.

Symonds is a far better batsman than Watson. He also has the option of bowling off spin or medium pace.
Symonds does indeed have more variety with his bowling, but that doesn't mean it's better, particularly when his bowling is much inferior to that of Watsons. How can you say Symonds is a better batsman than Watson? To make some basic rankings, we'll do this. Watson's FC average - 49
Symond's FC average - 42

Watson is a bowling all rounder. His bowling is weak compared to better ones like Pollock and Flintoff, and his batting is sub par.
Watson is definitely not a bowling all-rounder, so you've just proved how ignorant you are to what kind of player he is. His bowling is weak compared to Pollock, one of the best seamers of this era, and Flintoff, a very, very fine bowler himself. His batting isn't sub-par, we've been through this.

Anyone remember a notable innings for Australia he's played? no i cant.
77* vs Kenya
66* vs ICC World XI
79 vs India
65* vs New Zealand
57* vs West Indies
68 vs New Zealand

What about Roy? oh yea that 155* odd he got in the finals of the 2003 world cup, basically won the game for australia....
143* against Pakistan? Good knock, no doubt. It was Australia's first game against Pakistan, and the slow bowling combination of Harvey and Hogg had a fair amount to do with Australia's victory.

bagapath

International Captain
You voted for Flintoff even though he is almost a liability within his own side?
I think it is too early to write him off. Freddie will bounce back. I would not rank him alongside miller, imran, botham or kapil. but with cairns or mankad in terms of all-round ability.

Perm

I think it is too early to write him off. Freddie will bounce back. I would not rank him alongside miller, imran, botham or kapil. but with cairns or mankad in terms of all-round ability.
At the moment he's a liability though. Constant injuries, terrible batting form. Doesn't make a pretty picture for a player who was so good back in 2005.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Perm said:
143* against Pakistan? Good knock, no doubt. It was Australia's first game against Pakistan, and the slow bowling combination of Harvey and Hogg had a fair amount to do with Australia's victory.
:thumbdown

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
This is why.

Also, would you shut the **** up about Watson? It's clear you don't like him, we all get the picture, not that your opinion matters that much when you continue to criticise a player without providing any substantial reasons as to why you don't like him. Also, what the **** does Watson being a Queenslander have to do with anything? Or his intelligent levels?

GTFO and STFU.
Expect better than that from a senior member. Much better. Ease out on the asterisk-utlising, too.

Perm

Expect better than that from a senior member. Much better. Ease out on the asterisk-utlising, too.
Apologies, just getting sick of seeing his deliberate vendetta against Watson and constant insults against him. I thought the moderation team would've done something about it by now TBH.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What? Is this not the game?
The target was 310, and Pakistan were restricted to a slow start against the pace bowlers, as well as losing three wickets before 50. There was always a good chance that they would take wickets when the required rate was so high. You're taking away from the fact that Symonds' knock is as close to "matchwinning" as you'll get in the first innings of a one day game, and made a huge statement on the tournament.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Apologies, just getting sick of seeing his deliberate vendetta against Watson and constant insults against him. I thought the moderation team would've done something about it by now TBH.
Sorry, but saying a player is bad isn't against the rules. Yes, he is flaming to an extent, but he'll be dealt with if it becomes a regular occurance, not just WRT one issue.

Perm

The target was 310, and Pakistan were restricted to a slow start against the pace bowlers, as well as losing three wickets before 50. There was always a good chance that they would take wickets when the required rate was so high. You're taking away from the fact that Symonds' knock is as close to "matchwinning" as you'll get in the first innings of a one day game, and made a huge statement on the tournament.
Nevertheless, Hogg and Harvey picked up 7 wickets, which was a significant contribution to the game. I'm not trying to deny that Symond's innings was matchwinning, because it definitely was, but it his bowlers didn't perform then the innings would have come in a losing cause.

Perm

Sorry, but saying a player is bad isn't against the rules. Yes, he is flaming to an extent, but he'll be dealt with if it becomes a regular occurance, not just WRT one issue.
Okay, thanks. Sorry for going a bit overboard.

Athlai

Not Terrible
A huge knock with the bat won't win you a match if your bowlers don't support you.

3rd CH for example.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nevertheless, Hogg and Harvey picked up 7 wickets, which was a significant contribution to the game. I'm not trying to deny that Symond's innings was matchwinning, because it definitely was, but it his bowlers didn't perform then the innings would have come in a losing cause.
Hogg and Harvey could have gotten 0 wickets between them and Australia still had a decent chance of winning.

Perm

Hogg and Harvey could have gotten 0 wickets between them and Australia still had a decent chance of winning.
Yeah, but if they had conceded 80 or 90 runs each, then that wouldn't be the case. Bowlers have to support their batsman.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A huge knock with the bat won't win you a match if your bowlers don't support you.

3rd CH for example.
Obvious. But having watched the match I know exactly what happened...

Australia were in deep trouble and Symonds produced one of the best World Cup Innings ever. We then started bowling well and when the required rate was over 7.5 when Harvey and Hogg came on to bowl, they both bowled fine, but some of the batsmen gave there wicket away looking for quick runs.