• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sweep Shot

Andre

International Regular
Maybe it's just me, but something I have noticed with the sweep shot is that the edges can go anywhere. Including straight into a batsman's head.

I have a mate who bowls off-breaks and has had this happen whilst he was bowling numerous times, only to bring it up next conversation with a wry grin on his face :D.

I must admit I find it quite funny to see a batsman cop one in the head from a top-edge.

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ive done this to batsmen quite a few times actually (dont know why they always try to sweep me!)
i was thinking how it might one day pop up off their face and into the hands of one of the close-in fielders for a catch...that'd be my dream dismissal!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
a guy from my school plays the slog sweep alot and wears a helmet piticularly flor this, cause he either hits ity to or over the boundary on into his head

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i cant say ive ever played a sweep shot in a game. but i might try one if i face a spinner today.

Rich2001

International Captain
In that case Andre I can just see you fell about laughing when H.Singh did it to that Dutch batsman a few days ago in the India v Holland match.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I hit a few people when they try to sweep me, i get a lot of bounce, especially on artificials. havent hit anyone on the head but the chest area gets a working over- quite a tender area too...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
A while ago the sweep was my strongest shot, I scored most of my runs against Spinners with it, but it was also quite often my downfall along with the pull when the ball doesn't get up. So for now I'm keeping to playing straight and working on the flick off my legs. I sometimes pull out the sweep against quickies when they stray down leg though, a little paddle to help the ball on it's way. I play the sweep and pull so well in the nets and in practises that I might bring them back, but the pitch has to have some bounce 1st ;)

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I sometimes pull out the sweep against quickies when they stray down leg though, a little paddle to help the ball on it's way.
I don't think they would actually be called 'quickies' if you are able to sweep them now would they.....:D :D so there:P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
R_Powell_fan said:
I don't think they would actually be called 'quickies' if you are able to sweep them now would they.....:D :D so there:P
I've played the sweep shot against a bowler who had been clocked at 86 mph a few weeks earlier...I got a 4 then tried it again and got out, bowled, middle stump :lol:

PY

International Coach
I can answer this. He got 2 off 10 overs in a twenty overs game. I remember it well because I was in at 3 :!( :!( :!( :!( . I had to come in with the score at 10 off 10 overs. I swiftly managed 20odd in 7 overs and we still won by 20 runs due to a 45 partnership betwen me and another lad. Never heard such cheers for a thick edge down to third man for Neil's 2 runs. Took him 5 overs to get off the mark. :( :(

I now fully expect 'The Ginger Ninja' to correct me on some small minor detail which is usually his way when someone points out something bad about his cricketing career. :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He got 2 off 10 overs in a twenty overs game.
Correct.
I remember it well because I was in at 3.
Correct.
I had to come in with the score at 10 off 10 overs.
The score was 6.
I swiftly managed 20odd in 7 overs and we still won by 20 runs.
We were chasing and did it in the last over.
Due to a 45 partnership betwen me and another lad.
Due to the firm foundation laid by the openers, seeing off the dangerous bowlers.
It's called a well-paced run chase.

Never heard such cheers for a thick edge down to third man for Neil's 2 runs.
It was a single.
Took him 5 overs to get off the mark.
Correct.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
I have hit batsmen.

I have been hit.

I have been hit in the jaw, from a spinner, off a sweep, while wearing a helmet!

I have been hit for 22 of an over twice.

I scored 20 off 37overs in a 40overs match (and i'm a proper opener.)