• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sweep Shot

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
With credentials like tohse Paid, have you ever considered trying out for the English International side - come over and qualify and you've a great chance of being labelled the new Botham!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
being an off spinner a dumb number 8 batsmen thought i was like a normal "spinner" in the club competition ( spinner in school grade is thought of as people who bowl slow straight balls giving a spin action)

but he was stupid he was facing a real off spinner

idiot tries to sweep me first ball , luckily its my "the other one" the indians call it doosra
2nd ball the idiot tries to sweep me again off spinner this time major turn gets him flush on nose , starts bleeding hardcore for ages , had to retire lol

shaansewak

Cricket Spectator
sweep shot

how can you stuff up the sweep?

all you have to do is correctly time it and watch the ball all the way

i have scored heaps of runs through sweep shots (incl. reverse)

bye

shaan

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
I have only brought the sweep back into my game in the last 2 weeks. Slog sweep is a favourite of mine and has been used to great effect against some of the medium pacers and spinners in our team. The problem is playing it to a offie who bgets rather alot of bounce, i copped a few in the chest area. but nothing that hurts really.

Saw a kid at school play a reverse sweep to a pace bowler. bad move copped it right in the ear from the ball hitting the shoulder of the bat.

another one of those: dont try this at home situations....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Wondered when that was coming. ;)

Anyway, I had only just joined the new club and was accidentally training with the year 2 years below us!!!:lol:

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Heh sorry Armadillo.

"Copped a few in the chest" meaning i got hit in the chest a few times.

Sorry about that.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Don Ricardo said:
ive done this to batsmen quite a few times actually (dont know why they always try to sweep me!)
i was thinking how it might one day pop up off their face and into the hands of one of the close-in fielders for a catch...that'd be my dream dismissal!
think that there is a rule that if it hits a batsmens helmet,the ball is dead.

or maybe its a fielders helmet,aaarrrggghh!

NikhilN

International Regular
Maybe it's just me, but something I have noticed with the sweep shot is that the edges can go anywhere. Including straight into a batsman's head

Happened to me a millions of times

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Proud Indian said:
Happened to me a millions of times
That explains everything

(now rolling on the floor in foetal position, crying with laughter, typing with my foot)

Sorry. Couldn't resist it.