• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest disgrace to the NZ test and ODI caps?

Biggest disgrace to NZ?

• Ian "pathetic mohawk/rooster head" Butler

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Heath "can't bowl on the right pitch" Davis (Vote for him! Vote for him!)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Michael "the mug" Mason

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • New Plymouth Boys High School "Murdered by the better school" seam attack

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
Whilst replying to an old kiwi fast bowler in another thread I had a stroke of inspiration. Who out of these NZ seamers in the poll is the most undeserved seamer to play for NZ? I'm not sure on the extent of the people we've tried either so apart from these three named I'll add in an other option.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't see why Mason shouldn't have played for New Zealand. He has a good domestic record and he has generally been fairly accurate in ODIs (apart from the odd game where he goes the distance). Butler gets my vote. Had potential but really, he was dire.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't see why Mason shouldn't have played for New Zealand. He has a good domestic record and he has generally been fairly accurate in ODIs (apart from the odd game where he goes the distance). Butler gets my vote. Had potential but really, he was dire.
One of the things I never understood about Mason is how he managed to be so bad after being so good in domestic cricket. And he has been pretty bad in internationals apart from the first stages of the world cup and bowling inside NZ.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One of the things I never understood about Mason is how he managed to be so bad after being so good in domestic cricket. And he has been pretty bad in internationals apart from the first stages of the world cup and bowling inside NZ.
He hasn't been that bad in ODIs, really. He bowls a good length and although he doesn't seem to get much movement at all, he's fairly accurate and gets enough bounce to make him awkward to score off. He probably gets more movement from the pitches in domestic cricket and I think he'd be quite a handful if he did, which explains his good domestic record. His poorness in ODIs has been greatly exaggerated though; I'd take him over Martin, Adams or Franklin any day of the week in that format.

Flem274*

123/5
He hasn't been that bad in ODIs, really. He bowls a good length and although he doesn't seem to get much movement at all, he's fairly accurate and gets enough bounce to make him awkward to score off. He probably gets more movement from the pitches in domestic cricket and I think he'd be quite a handful if he did, which explains his good domestic record. His poorness in ODIs has been greatly exaggerated though; I'd take him over Martin, Adams or Franklin any day of the week in that format.
It pains me to see that. Because it is true. Though the prefferable line up would be Bond, Mills, Gillespie.

Hamish Bennet, Richard Sherlock, Tim Southee FTW

EDIT: Come on Heath, whats taking so long for the reply? Can't think what curse words to use at me? Sorry bout the thread mate but I couldn't resist.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It pains me to see that. Because it is true. Though the prefferable line up would be Bond, Mills, Gillespie.

Hamish Bennet, Richard Sherlock, Tim Southee FTW

EDIT: Come on Heath, whats taking so long for the reply? Can't think what curse words to use at me? Sorry bout the thread mate but I couldn't resist.
I'd probably take Mason over Gillespie in an ODI too, just quietly.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is soooooo very harsh.

Shayne O'Connor
Jonathan Millmow
Darryl Tuffey
Murphy Su'a
Justin Vaughan
Iain O'Brien
Kerry Walmsley
Robert Kennedy
Gary Robertson.

The list goes on... Even people like Chris Martin, Shane Thomson et al are/were not fit to lace Heath's boots.

So incredibly harsh. :cry:

Flem274*

123/5
This is soooooo very harsh.

Shayne O'Connor
Jonathan Millmow
Darryl Tuffey
Murphy Su'a
Justin Vaughan
Iain O'Brien
Kerry Walmsley
Robert Kennedy
Gary Robertson.

The list goes on... Even people like Chris Martin, Shane Thomson et al are/were not fit to lace Heath's boots.

So incredibly harsh. :cry:
:laugh:

Shayne O'Connor-Wasn't he the bloke that swung it a mile but had a Bond-esque injury rate?

Jonathan Millmow-Dunno who he is

Darryl Tuffey-Bit harsh IMO

Murphy Su'a-Good point

Justin Vaughan-Wasn't he a spinner?

Iain O'Brien-Should have done better IMO

Kerry Walmsley-Can't remember him

Robert Kennedy-ditto

Gary Robertson.-ditto

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gillespie has shown more promise and slightly better consistency IMO. It'd be nice if they tried Bradley Scott or James McMillan as the third seamer though.
I'm sure McMillan would have been picked by now if he could string two games together. Having Bond in and out of the side is bad enough.

And I disagree about Gillespie. I think he's quite over-rated. He gets a bit more pace than Mason, but he gets a similar amount of movement (probably less, really) and is less accurate. He puts everything in to what he does so he's a likeable character, but I really don't think he's much chop. I'm not saying Mason was/is either, but I still think he'd be a better pick than Gillespie in most conditions.

HeathDavisSpeed

:laugh:

Shayne O'Connor-Wasn't he the bloke that swung it a mile but had a Bond-esque injury rate?

Jonathan Millmow-Dunno who he is

Darryl Tuffey-Bit harsh IMO

Murphy Su'a-Good point

Justin Vaughan-Wasn't he a spinner?

Iain O'Brien-Should have done better IMO

Kerry Walmsley-Can't remember him

Robert Kennedy-ditto

Gary Robertson.-ditto

Millmow - now gossip cricket columnist for the Dominion Post. Somehow, his writing is worse than his bowling. Robert Kennedy works at the local Speights Ale House. Nice guy, poor bowler. O'Brien is another Petone local. He's better now than he was when he played. I'd also say Ian Butler and Mason are better than any I've named above.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tuffey was quite good for a while in his peak. He led the Bondless attack and did a decent job. His last few comebacks have been absolutely disgraceful though.

Flem274*

123/5
Millmow - now gossip cricket columnist for the Dominion Post. Somehow, his writing is worse than his bowling. Robert Kennedy works at the local Speights Ale House. Nice guy, poor bowler. O'Brien is another Petone local. He's better now than he was when he played. I'd also say Ian Butler and Mason are better than any I've named above.
Mason and Butler better than O'Connor and O'Brien? Thats stretching it a bit.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm sure McMillan would have been picked by now if he could string two games together. Having Bond in and out of the side is bad enough.

And I disagree about Gillespie. I think he's quite over-rated. He gets a bit more pace than Mason, but he gets a similar amount of movement (probably less, really) and is less accurate. He puts everything in to what he does so he's a likeable character, but I really don't think he's much chop. I'm not saying Mason was/is either, but I still think he'd be a better pick than Gillespie in most conditions.
I don't think either will be much chop at ODI's. Both could be decent in tests. I still believe Gillespie has potential though. As for McMillan, you must remember this is the coach that persisted with the Marshall twins, amongst other bad moves.

HeathDavisSpeed

Butler had the ability, shame that you haven't seen it. If he hadn't had all those injury problems, I have no qualms in saying that he would easily have eclipsed all of those players I have named. Just because he failed to fire in his limited opportunities doesn't mean that he was devoid of skill (unlike some bowlers I've named)

Mason... pah... Don't really care that much, not quick enough for my liking

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WHOOOOOOOOOSSHHHH>>>>>>>>>>>

HeathDavisSpeed

I am annoyed by this thread now. Heath is clearly not the worst bowler ever produced by New Zealand, and I feel that the two people who have (so far) voted for Heath are clearly indulging in a lame attempt at cyber-bullying.

No, not amused at all.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Back from south africa macka? Well done son. Tell me, is the rumor true that they payed you in big macs for every six you hit? Good motivation me thinks.