View Poll Results: Biggest disgrace to NZ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ian "pathetic mohawk/rooster head" Butler

    5 17.24%
  • Heath "can't bowl on the right pitch" Davis (Vote for him! Vote for him!)

    11 37.93%
  • Michael "the mug" Mason

    3 10.34%
  • Other

    6 20.69%
  • New Plymouth Boys High School "Murdered by the better school" seam attack

    4 13.79%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 88
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Biggest disgrace to the NZ test and ODI caps?

  1. #1
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,558

    Biggest disgrace to the NZ test and ODI caps?

    Whilst replying to an old kiwi fast bowler in another thread I had a stroke of inspiration. Who out of these NZ seamers in the poll is the most undeserved seamer to play for NZ? I'm not sure on the extent of the people we've tried either so apart from these three named I'll add in an other option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #2
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,747
    I don't see why Mason shouldn't have played for New Zealand. He has a good domestic record and he has generally been fairly accurate in ODIs (apart from the odd game where he goes the distance). Butler gets my vote. Had potential but really, he was dire.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  3. #3
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't see why Mason shouldn't have played for New Zealand. He has a good domestic record and he has generally been fairly accurate in ODIs (apart from the odd game where he goes the distance). Butler gets my vote. Had potential but really, he was dire.
    One of the things I never understood about Mason is how he managed to be so bad after being so good in domestic cricket. And he has been pretty bad in internationals apart from the first stages of the world cup and bowling inside NZ.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    One of the things I never understood about Mason is how he managed to be so bad after being so good in domestic cricket. And he has been pretty bad in internationals apart from the first stages of the world cup and bowling inside NZ.
    He hasn't been that bad in ODIs, really. He bowls a good length and although he doesn't seem to get much movement at all, he's fairly accurate and gets enough bounce to make him awkward to score off. He probably gets more movement from the pitches in domestic cricket and I think he'd be quite a handful if he did, which explains his good domestic record. His poorness in ODIs has been greatly exaggerated though; I'd take him over Martin, Adams or Franklin any day of the week in that format.


  5. #5
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He hasn't been that bad in ODIs, really. He bowls a good length and although he doesn't seem to get much movement at all, he's fairly accurate and gets enough bounce to make him awkward to score off. He probably gets more movement from the pitches in domestic cricket and I think he'd be quite a handful if he did, which explains his good domestic record. His poorness in ODIs has been greatly exaggerated though; I'd take him over Martin, Adams or Franklin any day of the week in that format.
    It pains me to see that. Because it is true. Though the prefferable line up would be Bond, Mills, Gillespie.

    Hamish Bennet, Richard Sherlock, Tim Southee FTW

    EDIT: Come on Heath, whats taking so long for the reply? Can't think what curse words to use at me? Sorry bout the thread mate but I couldn't resist.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    It pains me to see that. Because it is true. Though the prefferable line up would be Bond, Mills, Gillespie.

    Hamish Bennet, Richard Sherlock, Tim Southee FTW

    EDIT: Come on Heath, whats taking so long for the reply? Can't think what curse words to use at me? Sorry bout the thread mate but I couldn't resist.
    I'd probably take Mason over Gillespie in an ODI too, just quietly.

  7. #7
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I'd probably take Mason over Gillespie in an ODI too, just quietly.
    Gillespie has shown more promise and slightly better consistency IMO. It'd be nice if they tried Bradley Scott or James McMillan as the third seamer though.

  8. #8
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,478
    This is soooooo very harsh.

    Shayne O'Connor
    Jonathan Millmow
    Darryl Tuffey
    Murphy Su'a
    Justin Vaughan
    Iain O'Brien
    Kerry Walmsley
    Robert Kennedy
    Gary Robertson.

    The list goes on... Even people like Chris Martin, Shane Thomson et al are/were not fit to lace Heath's boots.

    So incredibly harsh.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,558
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    This is soooooo very harsh.

    Shayne O'Connor
    Jonathan Millmow
    Darryl Tuffey
    Murphy Su'a
    Justin Vaughan
    Iain O'Brien
    Kerry Walmsley
    Robert Kennedy
    Gary Robertson.

    The list goes on... Even people like Chris Martin, Shane Thomson et al are/were not fit to lace Heath's boots.

    So incredibly harsh.


    Shayne O'Connor-Wasn't he the bloke that swung it a mile but had a Bond-esque injury rate?

    Jonathan Millmow-Dunno who he is

    Darryl Tuffey-Bit harsh IMO

    Murphy Su'a-Good point

    Justin Vaughan-Wasn't he a spinner?

    Iain O'Brien-Should have done better IMO

    Kerry Walmsley-Can't remember him

    Robert Kennedy-ditto

    Gary Robertson.-ditto

  10. #10
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Gillespie has shown more promise and slightly better consistency IMO. It'd be nice if they tried Bradley Scott or James McMillan as the third seamer though.
    I'm sure McMillan would have been picked by now if he could string two games together. Having Bond in and out of the side is bad enough.

    And I disagree about Gillespie. I think he's quite over-rated. He gets a bit more pace than Mason, but he gets a similar amount of movement (probably less, really) and is less accurate. He puts everything in to what he does so he's a likeable character, but I really don't think he's much chop. I'm not saying Mason was/is either, but I still think he'd be a better pick than Gillespie in most conditions.

  11. #11
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post


    Shayne O'Connor-Wasn't he the bloke that swung it a mile but had a Bond-esque injury rate?

    Jonathan Millmow-Dunno who he is

    Darryl Tuffey-Bit harsh IMO

    Murphy Su'a-Good point

    Justin Vaughan-Wasn't he a spinner?

    Iain O'Brien-Should have done better IMO

    Kerry Walmsley-Can't remember him

    Robert Kennedy-ditto

    Gary Robertson.-ditto

    Millmow - now gossip cricket columnist for the Dominion Post. Somehow, his writing is worse than his bowling. Robert Kennedy works at the local Speights Ale House. Nice guy, poor bowler. O'Brien is another Petone local. He's better now than he was when he played. I'd also say Ian Butler and Mason are better than any I've named above.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,747
    Tuffey was quite good for a while in his peak. He led the Bondless attack and did a decent job. His last few comebacks have been absolutely disgraceful though.

  13. #13
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,558
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Millmow - now gossip cricket columnist for the Dominion Post. Somehow, his writing is worse than his bowling. Robert Kennedy works at the local Speights Ale House. Nice guy, poor bowler. O'Brien is another Petone local. He's better now than he was when he played. I'd also say Ian Butler and Mason are better than any I've named above.
    Mason and Butler better than O'Connor and O'Brien? Thats stretching it a bit.

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I'm sure McMillan would have been picked by now if he could string two games together. Having Bond in and out of the side is bad enough.

    And I disagree about Gillespie. I think he's quite over-rated. He gets a bit more pace than Mason, but he gets a similar amount of movement (probably less, really) and is less accurate. He puts everything in to what he does so he's a likeable character, but I really don't think he's much chop. I'm not saying Mason was/is either, but I still think he'd be a better pick than Gillespie in most conditions.
    I don't think either will be much chop at ODI's. Both could be decent in tests. I still believe Gillespie has potential though. As for McMillan, you must remember this is the coach that persisted with the Marshall twins, amongst other bad moves.

  15. #15
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,478
    Butler had the ability, shame that you haven't seen it. If he hadn't had all those injury problems, I have no qualms in saying that he would easily have eclipsed all of those players I have named. Just because he failed to fire in his limited opportunities doesn't mean that he was devoid of skill (unlike some bowlers I've named)

    Mason... pah... Don't really care that much, not quick enough for my liking


    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WHOOOOOOOOOSSHHHH>>>>>>>>>>>

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •