• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series Player of the Series Thread

VB Series - Player of the Series?

• Nick Knight (England)

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • James Anderson (England)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul Collingwood (England)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Ricky Ponting (Australia)

• Matthew Hayden (Australia)

• Adam Gilchrist (Australia)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shane Watson (Australia)

• Brad Hogg (Australia)

• Brett Lee (Australia)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka)

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andre

International Regular
Here is the poll where we will vote for the Cricket Web Player of the VB Series Award.

Vote away!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Nick Knight has been impressive in this series, tailing off a bit at the moment but he's still one of the top run scorers in the series.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Well I voted for Brett Lee because I think that he's done pretty well without McGrath an Gillespie (who really needs a hair cut!), although I still think he was down right rude to bump Tudor and the rest of the tailenders in the tests.:!(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Most of them has had excellent performances so far, but Knight has been the most consistent one.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, at least Knight scored a few, which can't be said for some of the England team!

It's been a bit of a bummer that Blackwell hasn't scored the runs that were expected of him, but his bowling wasn't that bad and I hope Tres'll score in the next (most probably last!) of the VB finals.

PY

International Coach
Even though they failed to get through, what about the possibility of Jayasuriya? consistently high scoring while he's seen the rest of his team perform fairly average..(being polite :P)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Collingwood was left out at the beginning of the series and he's fought his way back into the side and has been very impressive. Not player of the series but still impressive. Bowling needs some more work though, 6 an over is too much.

Jayasuria's been good yes, but Knight's been so consistant...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nick Knight. No contest in my book. Brett Lee has bowled well but with the pressure eased by in-form batsmen, he had the freedom to bowl fast and pick up wickets. Nick Knight has been on the back-foot (figuratively speaking) for most games England have played and he's delivered almost every time.

A real disappointment must be Russel Arnold, though. He played SO well early on and it's a shame he didn't kick-on from the start he had because he looks quite good technically and is a fighter.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
While Knight has had a very good series, Matt Hayden has been just as good if not better.

Knight 456 @ 57 (HS 111*) 3x50, 1x100
Hayden 389 @ 65 (HS 98) 3x50

Hayden just doesn't stand out because of some good batting performances from Ponting, Martyn and Lehmann. They may take votes away from him.

Talking_Trash

Cricket Spectator
The most outstanding individual contribution came from the blade of Sanath with his 'almost' triple tons. No doubt in my mind that he is the player of the series.

By the way, shouldnt Darren Lehmann be included in the list ? Made a lot of noise both on and off the field!

And also , how do i activate the bloody signature pic ??

Bazza

International 12th Man
The Argonaut said:
While Knight has had a very good series, Matt Hayden has been just as good if not better.

Knight 456 @ 57 (HS 111*) 3x50, 1x100
Hayden 389 @ 65 (HS 98) 3x50

Hayden just doesn't stand out because of some good batting performances from Ponting, Martyn and Lehmann. They may take votes away from him.
Isn't that the point though - Knight has been the only England batsman making runs, whilst for Australia it has been a team effort. OK Hayden was the best of the team, but Knight did it on his own.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Bazzaroodoo said:
Isn't that the point though - Knight has been the only England batsman making runs, whilst for Australia it has been a team effort. OK Hayden was the best of the team, but Knight did it on his own.
Well, if you look at it that way, then Jayasuriya should be Man of the Series because whilst England did get some good performances by other players on the odd day, SL nearly never had any other performer but Sanath.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Brett Lee won it. Probably helped by his exellent performances in the final's and the fact Knight faild both times.

Simon

Lee deserved it too, batsmen get too much of the accolades sometimes, it is really hard to bowl so well very consistently and get out world class players, im glad they gave it to a bowler and in my opinion Lee was the best bowler of the series.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
You said it. Remember when Brian Lara won the Player of the Series last year? Sheesh..................
Yes but the outstanding player in that series was another Batsman...Mark Waugh. 9 Matches, 7 Innings, 2 Not Out, 542 Runs, Average 108.40, Strike Rate 85.75, 2 100s, 3 50s, Highest Score 173. Enough said.