• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the better bowler, Mk II?

Who was better

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hey - who messed with my poll options??? Now we'll never know whether people rate Imram Khan - the little known left-arm swing merchant from Faisalbad... :(
A made-up player from a made-up place. 8-)

(THIS POST WAS IN JEST!!!!!!!!!!! VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!) [Would I ever use a Rolleyes genuinely on Matt79? No]

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Is there really a Faisalabad and a Faisalbad in the same country? :blink:
Nope, its a mistake in that article matt79 has posted. It is actually Faisalabad.

Faisalbad

Faisalabad is the third largest city of Pakistan after Karachi and Lahore located in the province of Punjab. Untill 1979 Faisalabad was formerly called Lyallpur.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nope, its a mistake in that article matt79 has posted. It is actually Faisalabad.

Faisalbad

Faisalabad is the third largest city of Pakistan after Karachi and Lahore located in the province of Punjab. Untill 1979 Faisalabad was formerly called Lyallpur.
Seen it spelt both ways with equal regularity tbh... Although at least according to Wiki Faisalabad is the correct spelling.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The correctspelling IS Faisalabad although some people do make the mistake of calling it Faisalbad, understandable because the city (originally Lyallpur) was renamed as Faisalabad after King Faisal of Saudi Arabi after his assasination

Matt79

Global Moderator
Happily conceded the point - not least because the spelling I used was clearly incorrect - although the number of responses you get when you google Faisalbad suggests I'm far from the first to make the mistake. (Although I only googled after I was pulled up - it was a off-the-top-of-my-head joke, not a well researched academic paper... ;) )

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Happily conceded the point - not least because the spelling I used was clearly incorrect - although the number of responses you get when you google Faisalbad suggests I'm far from the first to make the mistake. (Although I only googled after I was pulled up - it was a off-the-top-of-my-head joke, not a well researched academic paper... ;) )
I googled it to see, and was amazed (despite the "did you mean Faisalabad") at the number of references to Faisalbad, which made me wonder (given that I was certain of the existence of Faisalabad) whether there were indeed one of each!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I googled it to see, and was amazed (despite the "did you mean Faisalabad") at the number of references to Faisalbad, which made me wonder (given that I was certain of the existence of Faisalabad) whether there were indeed one of each!
Abaad means 'inhabited' (approximately) so it has to be 'abad' as a suffix to whats mostly a name at the beginning. Remove the 'a' and it makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Abaad means 'inhabited' (approximately so iy has to be abad in as a suffix to whats mostly a name at the beginning. Remove the 'a' and it makes no sense whatsoever.
Here it is

Urdu: Aabaad
English: Bustling With Life, Populated, Inhabited, Peopled, Prosperous, Happy

funnygirl

State Regular
Still have to go with Imran, although Waqar's Test bowling record is more comparable than that of Wasim.
Overall statistics and ''at his peak'' statistics is comparable . But Imran vs the best team of his time , and Waqar Vs best team of his time is definitely not comparable .

The correctspelling IS Faisalabad although some people do make the mistake of calling it Faisalbad, understandable because the city (originally Lyallpur) was renamed as Faisalabad after King Faisal of Saudi Arabi after his assasination
Arabia.

Beleg

International Regular
Waqar IS overrated. Shoaib Akhtar, a better bowler than him, gets no where near the same recognization.

I didn't see much of Imran as a bowler but he's a knob so I'll pick Younis.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't see that Shoaib is a better bowler than Waqar TBH. He's played nearly the same number of Tests, for something close (but not quite matching) to the same results, but over far longer a timespan.

This is - Shoaib's entire career took about twice as long as Waqar's first sensational period. And he didn't - quite - even do as well.

Waqar then played on for much more standard results for a longer time.