• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann to lose Yorkshire captaincy

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But it's nothing to do with his current ban (officially at least!)

Expect an announcement within the next couple of days.

Good to see Yorkshire taking action (even if they are covering it up)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope they give the captaincy to someone that will guide them in the future and not a guy that is 31 or 32 years old. I dont believe its the best thing for county teams to have overseas players as captain anyway.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I did not expect that the incedent would lead to his dismisal as Captain but now that they have it's hard to beleve it doesent have somthing to do with it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it's anything to do with the ban. Look at how Yorkshire performed last season...that would be a good guide. They got relegated from Division 1 in the CC and only ended up winning one trophy in the season. Also Lehmann did not have that steel as captain that Byas did, and his batting suffered.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How can it not have anything to do with the Rascism issue?

It's clearly that, and the cover-up story is a sham.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
How can it not have anything to do with the Rascism issue?

It's clearly that, and the cover-up story is a sham.

Thats a really harsh price to pay for a few out of line words. And if Clarke proves himself, he might lose his Aus place altogether.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Thats a really harsh price to pay for a few out of line words. And if Clarke proves himself, he might lose his Aus place altogether.
Not when given the situation in Yorkshire.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he just didn't work as captain last season so I think that's the reason...

PY

International Coach
i think that it can't be ignored by yorkshire as they have huge asian population, which if tapped for cricket potential, could provide quality players for england. however how are they going to feel if their home county is being captained by a 'racist/person who cannot control his racial views'?they'll be slightly alienated....... :(

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
Consider the possibility that it has nothing to do with recent events?

Maybe it has nothing to do with recent events, but the timing is pretty shocking from Yorkshire. It makes one wonder, especially as Yorkshire has a large asian population..

I very much doubt that lehmann is a racist. Most of us have done something we regret after getting out, its just one of those moments when you dont think, Lehmann just picked a bit of a stupid comment in his anger.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Consider the possibility that it has nothing to do with recent events?
One of your less-intelligent posts there Rik - they've known about the Aussie tour of the Windies for a long time now, yet choose to announce it now, in the week after the incident...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
One of your less-intelligent posts there Rik - they've known about the Aussie tour of the Windies for a long time now, yet choose to announce it now, in the week after the incident...
Also one of your less intelligent posts. Obviously you have forgotten about Yorkshire being relegated last season and Lehmann having a season to forget as captain and his batting was not up to his efforts in previous seasons...also this is the time when captaincy changes are often made...we all know Graeme Hick was sacked last year as captain of Worcestershire...but do we know his replacement yet? I sure as hell don't...

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik, there's no getting around it. It's clearly a racial issue and I fully support the decision.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Darren Lehmann must feel like Bill Murrey in Groundhog Day...every day he wakes up he is reminded of what he did and is punished...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Also one of your less intelligent posts. Obviously you have forgotten about Yorkshire being relegated last season and Lehmann having a season to forget as captain and his batting was not up to his efforts in previous seasons
So why did they choose to announce it now - surely they'd have appeased any supporters who wanted him out more if they'd done directly after the season?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Blatantly related to recent events for me. As I said, PR is important and they needed to take action. Unfortunately they didn't have the balls to say it, but that is to be expected. If it was to do with this Windies tour or whatever they could have made the decision sometime in the last three months, or the next three, as opposed to a week after what happened.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
Also one of your less intelligent posts. Obviously you have forgotten about Yorkshire being relegated last season and Lehmann having a season to forget as captain and his batting was not up to his efforts in previous seasons...also this is the time when captaincy changes are often made...we all know Graeme Hick was sacked last year as captain of Worcestershire...but do we know his replacement yet? I sure as hell don't...
I find it very, very difficult to believe that the sacking coming days after the Arnold incident is just a coincedence. There's no way IMO that the two are un-related.

And given the huge Asian population of West Yorkshire, it was the only option to avoid a potentially hugely damaging split