Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who was the better bowler ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Imran Khan

18 42.86%
  • Wasim Akram

24 57.14%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who was the better bowler ?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Who was the better bowler ?

We have many people who believe one or the other of thse fabulous Pakistani bowlers was the greatest of all time. Some in fact seem to elevate their hero to near divinity.

Without going into the 'divine staure' or even comparing them with those from other lands and other eras, lets see how these two Pakistani's fare against each other.

PS : THIS IS ONLY TO COMPARE THEM IN THE LONGER VERSION OF THE GAME - TEST MATCHES.

Please also confirm if you have seen either of them in action - live in person or live on TV.
    Last edited by SJS; 21-09-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    This is truly one poll I don't think I am sure either way. Although, I am leaning more towards Imran.
    ★★★★★

still scratching around in the same old hole
    If we generally consider Imran as one of the top quicks then it is clearly him.

Wasim isnt close to the pantheon. One of the better 2nd tier bowlers.
    Last edited by Goughy; 21-09-2007 at 08:31 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Imran for me. I don't think he gets his proper due in the discussion for the "best pace bowlers of all time". I personally only rank Marshal and Hadlee above him. His record against the WI, the most dominating team of the era, is excellent. He averages 21.18 with an economy of 2.91. Compare that to some other greats like Lillee (ave 27.74, eco 3.42) or Hadlee (ave 22.03, eco 2.69) and Imran fares well. Imran also has a great record against India, with their traditionally strong batting lineup (while bowling to them on the flat pitches of the subcontinent). His devastating spell of 40 wickets in a series has to be one of the greatest bowling performances ever. Wasim is probably the most talented bowler I've ever seen, but his overall record is inferior to Imran. Imran definitely achieved more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Wasim is probably the most talented bowler I've ever seen, but his overall record is inferior to Imran. Imran definitely achieved more.
    Fair points.

I think a lot depends on whether ODIs are factored into the equation. For myself, unless specified, I only look at Test cricket. In ODIs Wasim has a legitimate claim to being one the best ever but in Tests he isn't in that group.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    This Is Only Taking Test Matches Into Account.

First Class Debutant
    Wasim Akram .he surpassed Imran's wicket tally in less than 4 tests.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    Wasim Akram .he surpassed Imran's wicket tally in less than 4 tests.
    Wow, thats like 120 wickets a Test match

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Wow, thats like 120 wickets a Test match
    Since u guys are so much anti Wasim ....and pro statistics ,i have to say ....that what Imran achieved 362 wickets ,Wasim took 4 tests less than to the total tests of Imran to achiev that tally.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl View Post
    Since u guys are so much anti Wasim ....and pro statistics ,i have to say ....that what Imran achieved 362 wickets ,Wasim took 4 tests less than to the total tests of Imran to achiev that tally.
    With a higher average, economy, and strike rate. I'm not the type who goes by stats alone. I make my judgment after watching someone play, reading about them from those I respect (including their peers), factoring in any number of intangibles, and finally comparing stats.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Will all those who have voted/will vote, please also tell whether you have seen Imran bowl. I am assuming thateveryone has seen Wasim bowl.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well I've seen Wasim bowl, but that was when he was way way past his best. So in reality, if you mean watched live, it's neither.

Imran was the best fast bowler and player to ever come out of the subcontinent IMO. Wasim was a great player, but as someone said earlier, a step below the very top tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Will all those who have voted/will vote, please also tell whether you have seen Imran bowl. I am assuming thateveryone has seen Wasim bowl.
    I was 15 when Imran retired, so yeah I saw him bowl. I probably didn't fully understand/appreciate cricket back then the way I do now, but I knew enough to appreciate Imran's performances.

First Class Debutant
    I saw Imran playing . And i would say Wasim was more craftier and difficult to face than Imran .

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Imran. As Fus said, his achievements are astonishing, really. I'd say he can quite easily be called the best seamer ever to come from the subcontinent if you look properly.

In Tests (saw him in the 1999 WC and he was awesome of course) I only ever saw Wasim when he was past his best (2000\01) and obviously only saw 1 Imran game live (1992 WC final, when I was 6 so couldn't really appreciate much other than that he bowled in the right areas). Have seen the both of them bowl loads in highlights packages, tributes, etc. and they're both awesome.

Wasim, though, underachieved for mine. Imran, on the other hand, wrung pretty well every last drop from his bowling talents, and that's before you even get onto his batting and captaincy.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information