• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowling performances ever

Bazza

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
His stats make for interesting reading, that's for sure:

If England Bowl first - his average is 40.71, and if they bat first it's 33.23 (in the first innings)

In opponents' second innings he averages 22.88 in the 3rd innnings and 17.55 in the 4th Innings(!)

Overall it's 37.06 first innings and 20.81 second innings.
So what you're saying is:

Caddick playing => England bat first.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Top_Cat said:
He was hit so many times, Inside Edge had a two page spread on where he'd been hit in that Test; He was hit on the back of the helmet 4th ball of his first innings and was hit in the stomach, shoulders, thighs, ribs etc. a total of 30 times I think...........yeeeeeouch. Nasty first Test, eh?
I remember at the start of the Ashes hearing he was replaced at short leg by Hayden because doctors had advised him not to field there any more due to the number of blows he took to the head (even with a helmet on). And then towards the end of the series the commentators were always on about how many times he'd been hit on the head and stuff.

Talking about being hit:

www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1997-98/ENG_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/ENG_WI_T1_29JAN-02FEB1998_JG_MR.html

Eclipse

International Debutant
It wouldent matter how fired up Caddick got hes not quick enough to scare quality top order batsman.

But it would help him take wickets somtimes.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I'm not talking about scaring them in a Devon Malcolm stylee - I just wish he could get up for it that much. He would be far more consistent that way.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
It wouldent matter how fired up Caddick got hes not quick enough to scare quality top order batsman.
Caddick is a McGrath style bowler, relies on bounce. He sometimes gets quite a bit of swing though which helps. He's not much slower than McGrath either...usually around McGrath's pace...:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Rik: Eh? Nah Caddick's average pace is quicker than McGrath's.
Well then this statement is pure rubbish then:

Originally posted by Eclipse

If Caddick isn't fast enough to trouble quality top order batsmen then how come he's faster than McGrath, who is the highest rated pace bowler in the world...:rolleyes:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well then this statement is pure rubbish then:

Originally posted by Eclipse

If Caddick isn't fast enough to trouble quality top order batsmen then how come he's faster than McGrath, who is the highest rated pace bowler in the world...
Because pace isn't everything, stoopid! :D

Seriously, Caddick certainly averages faster speeds than Glenn McGrath and I reckon he holds back a bit, just like McGrath. The biggest difference between him and McGrath isn't ability because Caddick, I think, has a heck of a lot of talent and I always thought so, even when he was getting pummelled in 1993 against the Aussies in his first Test series. The biggest difference between him and McGrath is consistency. Consistency in terms of bowling consistently well in as many matches as possible and consistency in line-and-length within matches.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Because pace isn't everything, stoopid! :D

Seriously, Caddick certainly averages faster speeds than Glenn McGrath and I reckon he holds back a bit, just like McGrath. The biggest difference between him and McGrath isn't ability because Caddick, I think, has a heck of a lot of talent and I always thought so, even when he was getting pummelled in 1993 against the Aussies in his first Test series. The biggest difference between him and McGrath is consistency. Consistency in terms of bowling consistently well in as many matches as possible and consistency in line-and-length within matches.
Pace may not be everything but Eclipse seems to think that Caddick just ain't fast enough to beat good players...yet McGrath is slower and is the world's best is what I'm trying to say. Eclipse obviously didn't notice that...

Caddick isn't as consistant but when he's fired up he is, the problem is why do we have to fire him up? Anyway consistancy wasn't mentioned by Eclipse...

Eclipse

International Debutant
NO I dident mean it like that I was suggesting that top order batsman are NOT scared of being physicly hurt against Caddick or McGrath for that matter.

I was not saying there not scared of getting out.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
NO I dident mean it like that I was suggesting that top order batsman are NOT scared of being physicly hurt against Caddick or McGrath for that matter.

I was not saying there not scared of getting out.
Scared of being hurt is not the reason most players get out. How else would medium-pacers get their wickets? Steve Waugh isn't scary in the slightest...the way bowlers like Caddick, Pollock and McGrath get their wickets is by getting extra bounce out of the pitch, movement or swing as well as keeping the ball in the channel outside Off-Stump...people are scared of getting hit by Brett Lee, though his average has been going up lately and McGrath's (who's slower) keeps going down...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Geoffrey Boycott calls it 'the corridor of uncertainty'.

That's what it's all about. Put it there and you'll get wickets, so long as there is a little something in the pitch or through the air.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Sorry I should have said put it there and keep it there every ball. If you put it there once you won't get a wicket (take note Steve Harmison).

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazzaroodoo said:
Geoffrey Boycott calls it 'the corridor of uncertainty'.

That's what it's all about. Put it there and you'll get wickets, so long as there is a little something in the pitch or through the air.
The thing is that if you leave everything in that area like NZ did, then the bowler will tire of not getting the batsmen to play and will bowl at other areas which are easier to score off in order to get wickets. I hope that younger players can learn to combat this as getting wickets from just putting the ball in the same place all the time and not trying anything is rather dull.

Bazza

International 12th Man
...but it works. McGrath, Walsh, Ambrose... all these people are truly great bowlers. Just because you bowl 2 overs and don't get any luck is no reason to come around the wicket and bowl short stuff (not looking at Harmison here. OK maybe I am...)!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
One great performance by Kapil against WI in Ahmedabad in 1983, 2nd innings:

30.3 overs 6 maidens 83 runs 9 wickets

India lost the match by 138 runs, but that was a superlative effort.