• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

USA Under-15s to Tour India

adharcric

International Coach
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/usa/content/story/311665.html

Wow, that's impressive. Unfortunately, they'll probably get destroyed. I've played against a few of these guys and they were pretty good (one was 5" with gavaskar-esque technique, the other two were nothing special) but looking at the junior talent in India, I can't help but fear for them. Should be a great experience though.

Thoughts? Predictions? Apathy?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Go US. :cool:

I think they have a shot, to be honest. It's much easier to play with people at lower levels (see countries like Nepal) as everyone is on a more even footing. Yes, some people have had better coaching, but its mostly relatively raw talent so its much closer than a full blown tour would be.

adharcric

International Coach
The US team is fine in terms of coaching as we have some excellent youth academies around here. Raw talent is where they will fall behind, IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would be surprised. If much smaller countries can produce talent at the lower levels that rival that of Test playing nations, there is nothing to stop the US kids. The very best of the best that usually go on to FC cricket haven't really developed fully yet (unless you're a prodigy ala Tendulkar), and so the guy who is going to bowl 90mph five years from now is only bowling 65 now, etc. While the guy who is going only be able to bowl 75mph is still bowling 65 now, eg less differentiation.

I'm not saying they'll win, but I think they'll give a good account of themselves.

adharcric

International Coach
How can the 90 mph guy and the 75 mph both be bowling at the same pace right now? :p

You can't look at junior cricket in the US as a full-blown talent pool. Only a few kids play cricket, less than the amount in Nepal (because you have so many other sports to play). More than the Indian pace, I can imagine our boys having trouble against Indian batsmen and Indian spinners. These guys play street cricket every freaking day.

adharcric

International Coach
Yeah, me neither. As for who I'd support, I'm not sure - I'd love to see the US do well because it's a bunch of second generation ex-pats just like me, but I'd like to see India have superb junior prospects. The latter is a given, so I guess I would support the US just.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting. Fairly sure "Turd" said he'd support India if it was them vs Canada, and IIRR he's Canadian-born.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
USA! USA! USA!

:D

By the way adharcic, you must've been pretty close to the batsman to know that he was 5". :naughty:

Oh and yeah, I would USA if they played India as well. :)

TheGreatAusie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I played for my local town (in England) in the junior U15 squad... we had a game with a touring Mumbai U15's team... their age on average was around 12. We had some quite tall pacey bowlers and in comparison they were very short in stature. The bowl was swinging crazily and it was absolutely freezing that day. Bottom line, we got smashed... complete shock as we thought it would be an easy game when they were toddling off the coach walking into the pavilion. Amazing talent at domestic level... if that was anything to go by then good luck to USA against their international side!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I played for my local town (in England) in the junior U15 squad... we had a game with a touring Mumbai U15's team... their age on average was around 12. We had some quite tall pacey bowlers and in comparison they were very short in stature. The bowl was swinging crazily and it was absolutely freezing that day. Bottom line, we got smashed... complete shock as we thought it would be an easy game when they were toddling off the coach walking into the pavilion. Amazing talent at domestic level... if that was anything to go by then good luck to USA against their international side!

Yeah India are very, very strong at age group level. Their youth system is quite possibly the best in the world and their strong results at u-19 level over the past years would suggest that.

But it should be a good learning experience for the Usa guys.